Defilippo

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Defilippo

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:51 pm

I don't think he is what we thought he would be. I have major issues with his approach to the game.
I thought we were getting a guy that was imaginative, innovative and modern. I really don't see that in his play calling. Nagy is a first year HC and playing with a rookie QB and he is drawing up some really amazing plays. He needs to learn how to dial it back in the 4th but him and Flip are light years apart. Where is the damn RPO. I haven't seen one RPO all season. I thought he was the RPO guy?

I would be ok if he left for a HC job. Lets get some new blood in here, someone that is expected to be an offensive guru.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18720
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Defilippo

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:51 pm
I don't think he is what we thought he would be. I have major issues with his approach to the game.
I thought we were getting a guy that was imaginative, innovative and modern. I really don't see that in his play calling. Nagy is a first year HC and playing with a rookie QB and he is drawing up some really amazing plays. He needs to learn how to dial it back in the 4th but him and Flip are light years apart. Where is the damn RPO. I haven't seen one RPO all season. I thought he was the RPO guy?

I would be ok if he left for a HC job. Lets get some new blood in here, someone that is expected to be an offensive guru.
He doesn't adjust. I want to see what the percentage is of running in 1st down, along with passing on 1st and then running on 2nd is. I have to believe it's like 90% and only that low because of garbage time.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

ERIK the PURPLE
Starter
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:16 am

Re: Defilippo

Post by ERIK the PURPLE » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 am

Why don't we run screens or throw to Cook more? Put Latavius behind Cousins and throw to Cook in the flat. Also, I don't like Latavius in short yardage. He doesn't accelerate into the line. Often he tiptoes and try's to spin. Arggh.
We kept trying to run Cook sideways. Forget it.
0 x

User avatar
Raz
Starter
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: Defilippo

Post by Raz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 am

He knows the o line is a hot mess. So call some plays to minimize risk Screen on first down more slants. 5 step drops and dives into the line aren't going to cut it
0 x

User avatar
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: Viking Country

Re: Defilippo

Post by purplehaze » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:38 am

Raz wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 am
He knows the o line is a hot mess. So call some plays to minimize risk Screen on first down more slants. 5 step drops and dives into the line aren't going to cut it
Agree.
0 x
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11487
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Defilippo

Post by S197 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:21 am

Shurmur was a massive loss, JDF is a major downgrade. Why not run the no huddle earlier? No misdirection, no help for Mack. And where is the supposed red zone genius? The defense gifted the offense 3 great opportunities and not a single TD. He seems to be able to script drives fine but the drop off thereafter is very noticeable.
2 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Defilippo

Post by Texas Vike » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 am

S197 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:21 am
Shurmur was a massive loss, JDF is a major downgrade. Why not run the no huddle earlier? No misdirection, no help for Mack. And where is the supposed red zone genius? The defense gifted the offense 3 great opportunities and not a single TD. He seems to be able to script drives fine but the drop off thereafter is very noticeable.
Agree 100% with this post. I honestly can't believe he's getting looks for HC positions. What has he done? What evidence is there that he's anything but mediocre? He really hasn't shown much ingenuity or imagination in solving our shortcomings, of which we are all aware. I don't see a guy who knows how to play to his particular group of players' strengths, which was something Shurmur was great at.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7119
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Defilippo

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:05 am

Last night was not DeFilippo's best effort, that's for sure. He did adjust with the quicker throws later in the game, but far too late.

Part of this is on Mike Zimmer, who I like a lot. Zimmer's "we have to be a run-first team" approach is great if you have the offensive line to run the ball, but we don't, and he's being stubborn about it. If you remember early in the season, we were throwing the ball a lot and with success. Then Zimmer put his foot down and insisted on more running plays, and since then our offense has been flat.

The flip side is that Pat Shurmur got a lot of mileage on the ground with a lot of the same players. If Zimmer wants a running game, DeFilippo's job is to provide it.

It's just disappointing. I thought the offense would start slow and get better. Instead, that's what the defense has done. The offense has done the opposite.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24643
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Defilippo

Post by dead_poet » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am

Vikings RBs have been met in the backfield on a ridiculous 43.6% of rushing attempts. I don't have the pressure rates, but we have to be in the bottom 5. We had the highest pressure rate of all week 11 teams. This has been a reoccurring theme.

I don't care who you are, that's a major liability for an offense. We're not going anywhere substantial unless or until this is corrected.
1 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18720
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Defilippo

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm

dead_poet wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am
Vikings RBs have been met in the backfield on a ridiculous 43.6% of rushing attempts. I don't have the pressure rates, but we have to be in the bottom 5. We had the highest pressure rate of all week 11 teams. This has been a reoccurring theme.

I don't care who you are, that's a major liability for an offense. We're not going anywhere substantial unless or until this is corrected.
Reminds me of Peterson's last full year here.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Defilippo

Post by YikesVikes » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm

dead_poet wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am
Vikings RBs have been met in the backfield on a ridiculous 43.6% of rushing attempts. I don't have the pressure rates, but we have to be in the bottom 5. We had the highest pressure rate of all week 11 teams. This has been a reoccurring theme.

I don't care who you are, that's a major liability for an offense. We're not going anywhere substantial unless or until this is corrected.
And yet people are blaming Cousins. The guys is playing out of his mind considering the pressure he has faced. Show me a QB pressured as much with better stats. Can he play better? Sure but we aren't helping him.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7119
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Defilippo

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:24 pm

This article on the Vikings' ESPN site gives me cause for concern.
ESPN.com wrote:While it has understandably taken the Vikings' offense time to gel under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo's system, Zimmer concluded the amount of plays Minnesota is installing weekly might be having an effect on some of the offense's ineffectiveness.

"Let's just play football," Zimmer said. "You run a really good out route, you run the out route. He runs a good curl, you run the curl. You know what I mean? So, maybe we just need to focus a little bit on not trying to trick the other team quite so much.

"You want to add new plays every week and new plays and new plays and new plays. If you're not executing, it might be the best play in the world, Vince Lombardi might have designed it, but if you can't execute it, then it doesn't do you any good. Can't protect for it or whatever it is."
But that's not the worst part.
ESPN.com wrote:Zimmer said postgame that the Vikings' repeated mistakes with ball security and other areas that lead to turnovers might be because players are not listening, not paying attention or that "they really don't care."
And ...
ESPN.com wrote:In vowing to find the root of these issues, Zimmer noted a "lack of awareness" from his team on several plays that he pointed out Monday, while also going through various channels to make sure he's still getting through to his players.

"I've asked several players if they're listening to me or not, or if they quit listening to me," Zimmer said. "And not just them. I didn't ask them 'Do you?' but 'Did these guys stop listening to me?' and they said 'No.'"

Read the full article.

Makes me wonder if DeFilippo is trying to do too much. There was definitely confusion on Cousins' first interception, and something was definitely amiss on the pick-six. Perhaps DeFilippo is failing to get through to the offensive players. At the very least, it seems he and Zimmer are at odds on the type of offensive game plan that needs to be in place.

Something is definitely wrong here. There just isn't the synergy we had last year with Pat Shurmur.

I also read today that the Vikings are also one of the worst teams in the entire NFL on screen plays, at about 1.5 yards per screen pass. Last year, the screen was a huge strength. That's gotta be coaching.

I was a fan of the DeFilippo hiring, but the luster is wearing off for me.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18720
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Defilippo

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 am

Maybe Zimmer is losing the team.
Also, I agree with him. Just play football. Coaches try so hard to outsmart the other team that they out think themselves. I think Zimmer is as guilty of that as many other coaches. You have the talent. Just do what works.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Defilippo

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:11 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 am
Maybe Zimmer is losing the team.
Also, I agree with him. Just play football. Coaches try so hard to outsmart the other team that they out think themselves. I think Zimmer is as guilty of that as many other coaches. You have the talent. Just do what works.
Zimmer isnt losing the team. Those guys love and respect him too much for that to happen. Bottom line is, DeFillippo is a train wreck. Zimmer has been doing what works on the defensive side of the ball. This defense has still been a top 5-10 defense in the league this year. It's DeFillippo thats not doing what works.

In the beginning of the year, I was blaming the run game (or lack thereof) on game flow. Which was definitely the case in some games. However, Flip disgusted me last night. Dalvin Cook was literally shredding the Patriots defense every time he touched the ball. 9 carries for 84 yards. NINE! But we're throwing Kirk Cousins 44 times. To be honest, I really feel bad for Kirk Cousins. Because Flip is putting way too much weight on his shoulders when it's NOT needed. He said, "it's all about getting it in our playmakers hands". OK? Dalvin Cook is just as good or maybe an even better pure playmaker than Diggs and Thielen. Yeah we are throwing to Cook on check downs but run the damn ball with him. The only thing I "liked" that he did last night against NE was how he had Cook carry more on the outside.

But I will say this, the only time Latavius Murray should be getting more than a few carries a game is if Dalvin Cook is not playing. I love Murray. I've played against him. But I've said this for a while now, he's a volume RB. He not going to do much with 5 carries. He's not a "change of pace RB". He's a workhorse. They need to pound Cook and if he needs a breather, then put Murray in. Giving him 9-10 carries a game is laughable. No less doing it when he's averaging 9.3 YPC against the defense we were playing. We all know Thielen and Diggs are great but it's like Flip is obsessed with getting them the ball. He's forcing it. There is zero creativity, the offense is becoming predictable, it's obvious when Cousins is going to pass, etc. And in turn, when it's so obvious Cousins is passing, teams are sending the blitz and this OL cant pick up a blitz to save their life. Guys can complain about Mike Hughes all they want but to be honest, drafting Hernandez and Jackson compared to drafting Hughes and O'Neill is a complete wash talent wise. The only way Spielman could have truly helped this OL is if he drafted Hernandez in the 1st and O'Neill in the 2nd, which I dont see them taking 2 OL in the first 2 rounds.

Flip is the one that needs to go. Not Zim, not Spielman and it's not Kirk Cousins. Flip doesnt have a clue what he is doing back there. He throws the ball way too much, runs it way too little, runs RPO's with a non-running type QB, is predictable and the list goes on. I hope someone gobbles him up for a job. I worry we wont fire him because it's him and Cousins first year together. We need someone else that knows what they are doing. I dont blame Spielman for the hire because he was a big name in the coaching world but he has flopped big time. And I hope we do something about it this offseason.
1 x
Image

User avatar
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Defilippo

Post by allday1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm
dead_poet wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am
Vikings RBs have been met in the backfield on a ridiculous 43.6% of rushing attempts. I don't have the pressure rates, but we have to be in the bottom 5. We had the highest pressure rate of all week 11 teams. This has been a reoccurring theme.

I don't care who you are, that's a major liability for an offense. We're not going anywhere substantial unless or until this is corrected.
Reminds me of Peterson's last full year here.

Beat me to it, glad you found a stat on that cause i knew we are bad not only in pass protection but run blocking as well, overall one of the worst olines in the league by far.
0 x
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson