Lions post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7059
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 am
They continued with the interior of the Vikings defense.
Joseph, Richardson and Johnson collapsed the pocket time after time, forcing Stafford sideways and into the waiting arms of Hunter and Griffen. Even with 5 sacks between Hunter and Griffen, I can't tell you how many times the Vikings DEs nearly got home in addition to those, and it's because of the interior. They were completely dominant.
The question I have is, can they keep it up? Can they play with that level of intensity and consistency for the rest of the season and take it into the playoffs? Because if they can, with the guys behind them in the secondary and at LB, this is a defense that can get them deep into the playoffs.
I think they can. Why? They've got depth. When you've got Stephen Weatherly and Tom Johnson rotating in, at the level they're playing, it helps the entire line. Remember last year, it was Griffen, Hunter, Joseph and Johnson ... period. Against the Saints, they ran out of gas.

One thing I was noticing yesterday was how frequently the Vikings rotated the D-line. I don't think the snaps were split exactly evenly between the 6 players, but pretty darned close. I recall Hunter was pressuring Stafford time after time on one drive ... I think he might have had 1.5 or 2 sacks in a row. Then the next series, Weatherly was in and Hunter was out. I looked over, and Hunter was standing on the sidelines, helmet in hand, ready to go. The series after that, it was Weatherly and Hunter while Griff got a blow. They're also versatile. Johnson played both 3-tech and nose, and Hunter played both ends -- took the right end spot when Griff was resting, left end when Griff was in the game.

If we can keep all 6 of them healthy, I think there's a good chance they can maintain a very high level of play. Probably not 10 sacks per game, but a high level.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18588
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Has Jalil Johnson played?
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5562
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:12 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm
Has Jalil Johnson played?
Yeah he was in at least a few times from what I can remember. He actually had a couple nice bull rushes that effected the pocket
0 x
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5562
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am

mansquatch wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 pm
Yeah PHP, Chicago is a team that is reaping a 4th place schedule. Trubisky so far just ins't that impressive. Their defense is scary though. Ball Security is the one thing that could cost us the win in our two matchups with them. If we commit zero turnovers we should have any issue beating them.
Agreed. Mack plays on O'Neill's side correct? If so that will be a true test of how good O'Neill really is. I believe Mack is more of a speed guy than power right? That will help O'Neill if that's the case. I'm sure they wont be leaving ONeill on an island much anyways

But yeah, we just have to contain the screen game with them. Cohen is dangerous. But outside of that, their WRs are less than impressive. Their defense has been legit but I'm not overly worried about their offense. It's hard to judge because outside of a much weaker Seattle team, their wins are nothing special
0 x
Image

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Franchise Player
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:02 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am
mansquatch wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 pm
Yeah PHP, Chicago is a team that is reaping a 4th place schedule. Trubisky so far just ins't that impressive. Their defense is scary though. Ball Security is the one thing that could cost us the win in our two matchups with them. If we commit zero turnovers we should have any issue beating them.
Agreed. Mack plays on O'Neill's side correct? If so that will be a true test of how good O'Neill really is. I believe Mack is more of a speed guy than power right? That will help O'Neill if that's the case. I'm sure they wont be leaving ONeill on an island much anyways

But yeah, we just have to contain the screen game with them. Cohen is dangerous. But outside of that, their WRs are less than impressive. Their defense has been legit but I'm not overly worried about their offense. It's hard to judge because outside of a much weaker Seattle team, their wins are nothing special
I've seen some pretty impressive bull rushes from Mack. He certainly looks beefy enough to have a potent one in his arsenal. Like you said they should have the entire game plan dedicated to taking him out of the equation.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by YikesVikes » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:02 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am


Agreed. Mack plays on O'Neill's side correct? If so that will be a true test of how good O'Neill really is. I believe Mack is more of a speed guy than power right? That will help O'Neill if that's the case. I'm sure they wont be leaving ONeill on an island much anyways

But yeah, we just have to contain the screen game with them. Cohen is dangerous. But outside of that, their WRs are less than impressive. Their defense has been legit but I'm not overly worried about their offense. It's hard to judge because outside of a much weaker Seattle team, their wins are nothing special
I've seen some pretty impressive bull rushes from Mack. He certainly looks beefy enough to have a potent one in his arsenal. Like you said they should have the entire game plan dedicated to taking him out of the equation.
The guy has it all. Had it all at Buffalo. He can do both.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11459
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by S197 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:12 am
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm
Has Jalil Johnson played?
Yeah he was in at least a few times from what I can remember. He actually had a couple nice bull rushes that effected the pocket
Yup he and Holmes were in the rotation for Detroit's last series.
0 x