Going Forward

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Going Forward

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Here's where I am at.
We will not go into Foxboro, Chicago, or Seattle and win. I don't see any reason to believe we win either of those games. We are looking at 9-6-1 at best and that could possibly win the north, but I don't trust the Packers to be down all year and Chicago is much improved. It seems like this season just never got on track, and without a monumental upset in one of the games I mentioned above, I don't know how we get to the playoffs.
I'm not giving up and I am not gloom and doom so don't start that crap with me. But I just don't see a good ending to this season at this point.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Going Forward

Post by Texas Vike »

I know the feeling and I think the root of it is this: we just don't look dominant and complete enough to win the SB or to even get there. Unless all the little things that have broken bad for us suddenly reverse themselves (injuries, Everson situation, prolonged & mysterious kicking woes, etc.), I agree that it is very hard to imagine this team beating the likes of the Rams, Saints, and Patriots in succession.

But weirder things have happened, and there's still a lot of football left to be played. Momentum is a funny thing: once it swings, it can be a major force. That's what I'm holding on for, I guess. I'll be cussing our fate until then, though.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 am I know the feeling and I think the root of it is this: we just don't look dominant and complete enough to win the SB or to even get there. Unless all the little things that have broken bad for us suddenly reverse themselves (injuries, Everson situation, prolonged & mysterious kicking woes, etc.), I agree that it is very hard to imagine this team beating the likes of the Rams, Saints, and Patriots in succession.

But weirder things have happened, and there's still a lot of football left to be played. Momentum is a funny thing: once it swings, it can be a major force. That's what I'm holding on for, I guess. I'll be cussing our fate until then, though.
Feeling the same way as u guys. I just hope that we get our guys healed up, stop the stupid penalties and the turnovers and batted balls. But most of start getting more aggressive and stop this conservative B.S... like the end if 1st half ridiculousness last night
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I would be very surprised if we even make the playoffs this year. We looked like a .500 team against the saints last night. OK Offensive we've got almost all we need. Need to draft a RB, cook can't stay healthy he's done trust me. He'll come back and play 2-3 games then be hurt again. If we don't get serious about getting a dominant Oline we will say a .500 team. Wish we had a dominant TE too.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It's funny how that tie effects how I feel about the team. When I think of them as 4-3-1 it seems like things might be dire. When I imagine it as what it's closer to (5-3) it feels better. The GB game really should have been a win. Missing FGs like that isn't a normal thing and is super unlikely.

Anyway, they are indeed 4-3-1 and really need the win against the Lions. The bye is coming at a very good time for the team. Griffen is back, Rhodes should be back after the bye, one would think. Barr is dinged up, Cook has been, Reiff, Compton. If we can get all or most of these people back by the time they play the Bears in week 11 and they can all stay healthy the team has a lot of potential.

If we could go into the bye 5-3-1 and come out the other side a much healthier team I don't think that's a terrible position. I think a healthy Vikings team can take the Bears and GB. We were able to tie GB at home (and came two missed FGs from winning). That'd put us at 7-3-1 and atop the North.

I think a healthy Vikings team can take anyone left on the schedule including NE and Seattle. The Dolphins, Lions, and Bears can all be wins.

That said, I see 1-2 more losses if they can get healthy. As many as 4 losses if they can't.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I just hope Cousins can make it through the season without tearing his ACL. He gets hit way too much. It's not smart to give a QB that much money and not protect him better. Zimmer should be telling Defilippo to keep in TEs and RBs on anything other than a 3 step drop. If the center or guard get blasted on a 3 step drop there is only so much you can do. Can't have Kirk getting battered QB syndrome. This off-season I'd like to see them really focus on fixing the line. I think they can make the playoffs but after they're in I can't see them going all the way.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think this team can make the playoffs, but I don't think they can get far in the playoffs unless they start to execute a lot more consistently. They simply make too many mistakes in all facets of the game to be considered contenders for anything more than a 1st round exit in the playoffs.

This is frustrating because the team actually has a lot of talent and experience. They should be a lot better than they have been, even considering the struggles on the offensive line.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

They just need to get in to the playoffs and anything can happen. There's not really a chance they get a first round bye, so gone are those expectations...It never does them any good anyway. I want to be the team that enters the playoffs hot and no one wants to play.

I'm convinced that had Blair Walsh made that FG against Seattle in the WC round a few years ago, the Vikings would have went to the NFCCG. The Vikings are a much better team this season. These things are possible. Let Cousins keep getting better with this offense (which is scary to think about in a good way) and let's get healthy. A win against Detroit, you're 5-3-1 heading into the bye. Rest and come out on a win streak and things will start happening.

The Vikings have plenty of opportunity yet...believe that!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

At the airport. Treadwell's name just got called. Where is he going? Wouldn't be surpused if he was traded.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:40 am I think this team can make the playoffs, but I don't think they can get far in the playoffs unless they start to execute a lot more consistently. They simply make too many mistakes in all facets of the game to be considered contenders for anything more than a 1st round exit in the playoffs.

This is frustrating because the team actually has a lot of talent and experience. They should be a lot better than they have been, even considering the struggles on the offensive line.
Agree. I thought the Vikings were clearly the better team vs Saints. Too many mistakes, too many unforced errors.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Purplectic
Waterboy

Post by Purplectic »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:55 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:40 am I think this team can make the playoffs, but I don't think they can get far in the playoffs unless they start to execute a lot more consistently. They simply make too many mistakes in all facets of the game to be considered contenders for anything more than a 1st round exit in the playoffs.

Agree. I thought the Vikings were clearly the better team vs Saints. Too many mistakes, too many unforced errors.
On the flip side, they are capable of beating them. Can you name a WR on their team aside from Michael Thomas? Any TE?
The Vikes held Brees to 80 yards in the 1st half, most of which was on the first drive. The Vikes were in control after that in the red zone before the half about to go up either 16-10 or 20-10 with a potential 20-3 dominance after that first drive full of trickery. And the Vikes were going to get the ball to start the 2nd half. I am certain the Vikes can matchup well and beat the Saints.

And the Rams? They lost their best WR in Cupp where they have 120+ yards less with his absence. And they cannot stop the run and Marcus Peters is hurt and can't cover anyone. Talib has yet to return. I'm not in awe of anyone in the NFC. We're starting to play our best ball and have seemingly fixed the defense a bit. Keep in mind we've had Barr, Rhodes and Griffen out for a while.

But point well taken in that they need to clean up mistakes to win these big games that await.