Saints post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Saints post game thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm
halfgiz wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 am

The Daily Norseman, a Minnesota Vikings blog
@DailyNorseman
3h
2015 - "Teddy Bridgewater is among the most pressured QBs in the NFL"
2016 - "Sam Bradford is among the most pressured QBs in the NFL"
2017 - "Case Keenum is among the most pressured QBs in the NFL"
2018 - "Kirk Cousins is among the most pressured QBs in the NFL"
Wouldn't worry about it, we'll grab a LB in next year's draft to fix that.
And a CB and maybe a kicker.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I've been on a much needed holiday so getting to this a bit late.

My impression from watching the game was that basically the top three WR cost us the game. The defense played excellent for most of the game, despite missing some key contributors. They held Drew Brees to absolutely pedestrian stats. 17 Points were given the to the Saints, 7 from the Thielen Fumble/Treadwell Penalty, 7 from Diggs stopping on the route, and 3 from the gamble the coaching staff took on 4th and inches. I don't mine the last one, I thought it was a good call, the offense just failed to execute. Defense was excellent.

I'm really not sure what else to say. The Thielen fumble was uncharacteristic and so was the Diggs mistake. The Thielen play was probably a 14 point swing, their defense was not stopping our passing attack to that point in the game.

Bottom line, you can't make mistakes like that against competitive NFL teams. Really not much more to it, IMO.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:16 am I've been on a much needed holiday so getting to this a bit late.

My impression from watching the game was that basically the top three WR cost us the game. The defense played excellent for most of the game, despite missing some key contributors. They held Drew Brees to absolutely pedestrian stats. 17 Points were given the to the Saints, 7 from the Thielen Fumble/Treadwell Penalty, 7 from Diggs stopping on the route, and 3 from the gamble the coaching staff took on 4th and inches. I don't mine the last one, I thought it was a good call, the offense just failed to execute. Defense was excellent.

I'm really not sure what else to say. The Thielen fumble was uncharacteristic and so was the Diggs mistake. The Thielen play was probably a 14 point swing, their defense was not stopping our passing attack to that point in the game.

Bottom line, you can't make mistakes like that against competitive NFL teams. Really not much more to it, IMO.
Diggs didn't make a mistake.

He assumed his QB wouldn't throw to a place where he wasn't. That should be a safe assumption. Cousins felt pressure, saw Diggs crossing in front of him, and then threw a sidearm pass around the DE without actually seeing if his WR was: open, fell down, or had STOPPED. Throwing to a spot where you assume a WR will be is an acceptable decision by a QB, IF the QB can actually see who they are throwing too. There is a reason no look passes are not a thing in the NFL.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am
mansquatch wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:16 am I've been on a much needed holiday so getting to this a bit late.

He assumed his QB wouldn't throw to a place where he wasn't. That should be a safe assumption. Cousins felt pressure, saw Diggs crossing in front of him, and then threw a sidearm pass around the DE without actually seeing if his WR was: open, fell down, or had STOPPED. Throwing to a spot where you assume a WR will be is an acceptable decision by a QB, IF the QB can actually see who they are throwing too. There is a reason no look passes are not a thing in the NFL.
wrong
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:42 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am

wrong
Solid argument. Why am I wrong?

I am just curious to know how Kirk was supposed to know Diggs was open if he couldn't see him? Diggs certainly wasn't open before he stopped, which is why he stopped in the first place.

I know Collinsworth said otherwise, but go back and watch it again with the sound off and make up your mind on your own. It was a horrible decision by the QB that contributed to us losing the game. Not as big of a play as the Theilen fumble, but a boneheaded mistake late in the game.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 pm
wrong

I am just curious to know how Kirk was supposed to know Diggs was open if he couldn't see him? Diggs certainly wasn't open before he stopped, which is why he stopped in the first place.

I know Collinsworth said otherwise, but go back and watch it again with the sound off and make up your mind on your own. It was a horrible decision by the QB that contributed to us losing the game. Not as big of a play as the Theilen fumble, but a boneheaded mistake late in the game.
I would put blame on both. If Diggs didn't stop, he could've broken up the INT or maybe even catch the pass. But it was a bad decision to throw it in the first place. Cousins had time, Diggs was covered, Just a bad decision.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I did watch the game and I'll stand by my judgement. It looked like a crossing route that he stopped on for whatever the reason. Collinsworth also said that we do not know what the Vikings' offensive rules are so it might not have been a mistake. Collinsworth follow up with a comment to the effect of saying that in this situation that probably isn't very likely. There is just no good reason for him to have stopped, IMO. Not every INT is the QB's error.

Bottom line, the game came down to the Vikings making two major and one lesser errors. If one of those two turnover plays isn't made, we probably win that game given how the defense was playing. It sucks that they made the mistakes, but they showed they could play with an elite QB on defense.

This game was in many ways the a microcosm of the current state of the season. This roster is capable of ELITE play. For whatever reason this year, it keeps making stupid mistakes that cost it to underperform. My hope is they can get a win against the Lions and then go into the Bye and clean up the crap and come out hitting on all cylinders.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 pm
wrong

I don't have to go back and watch it. I was at the game. Diggs took ownership for it. He stopped running when he had a step on the guy. Defense was in man, you run in man, settle down in zone. Curt threw it expecting him to keep running. He would have caught it for 5 yards.