NFL Trade Deadline Oct. 30th. Vikings Rumors? Wish list?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StpViking
Starter

NFL Trade Deadline Oct. 30th. Vikings Rumors? Wish list?

Post by StpViking »

Hope you guys don't mind the new guys creating a new Thread.

With some big name guys like Griffen, Cook, Reiff, Rhodes out for a while. Do you think Spielman and the front office pull of a big trade before the deadline?

If so, who do you think? Or Wish for?
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: NFL Trade Deadline Oct. 30th. Vikings Rumors? Wish list?

Post by Crax »

No. We have no money. Somewhere around 600k I believe is all.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I say look to trade one of our safeties for a pick or an offensive lineman. Even with Sendejo out we still have a guy like Anthony Harris on the bench. There really isnt a safety I dont like on this team. Smith, Sendejo, Iloka, Harris and Kearse are all very solid. A team like Atlanta might jump all over some of our safeties.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

And yes we have very little cap space but we can open some of that up by trading someone for a pick. Or trade for an offensive lineman with potential that was a late draft pick and has a small cap hit. I mean we did land Easton a few years ago and he cost next to nothing because he was undrafted
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I'm just over here dreaming of a Patterson+Rhodes CB1 and CB1.1 defense. Let Waynes go next summer and then Mike Hughes plays the nickleback. I bet Zimmer is dreaming the same thing.

More realistically? I like the idea of trading a safety for oline.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Other than a high draft pick, I don't see what we have of value that would bring anything in trade for either a starting O-lineman or corner. IMO Patrick Peterson would be worth a No. 1, but do the Cardinals really want to give up their best player in the middle of the season with no one to replace him? I don't even know ... do they have an up-and-coming cornerback who's waiting his turn on the bench?

This is why mid-season trades are so rare in the NFL. Teams don't want to give up proven players for draft picks without someone competent to replace that player for the rest of this year. Unless you're the Oakland Raiders, who can't seem to give them away fast enough.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 am And yes we have very little cap space but we can open some of that up by trading someone for a pick. Or trade for an offensive lineman with potential that was a late draft pick and has a small cap hit. I mean we did land Easton a few years ago and he cost next to nothing because he was undrafted
I'm not saying it's impossible, but we have very little flexibility so the salary gain/loss would have to be close to equal. Picking up a low salary guy with future potential like you're saying would be nice though. I don't see us in the running for the big names out there
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

If we somehow acquired Peterson... :slice: :banana: :flamed: ...
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think we are (and should) pretty much stick with what we have at this point as far as CBs go. We're heavily invested CB already and if Waynes can keep up his level of play I see no reason to spend what amounts to another 1st round pick on a CB. Waynes will almost certainly be cheaper against the cap as well.

Even the offensive line is on the upswing. Since Elflein is back the offensive line might not be in as much trouble. If anything was traded for, I think it has to be the offensive line. Bat downs, sacks, and consequently fumbles are a big weakness right now.

The bye week also isn't far away which should help.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Crax wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:05 am I'm not saying it's impossible, but we have very little flexibility so the salary gain/loss would have to be close to equal. Picking up a low salary guy with future potential like you're saying would be nice though. I don't see us in the running for the big names out there
No anyone that thinks that is dreaming. We arent going to make any kind of huge moves. But trading a safety away for a pick or trading for an OL like a "Easton-type" is definitely a possibility
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 am Other than a high draft pick, I don't see what we have of value that would bring anything in trade for either a starting O-lineman or corner. IMO Patrick Peterson would be worth a No. 1, but do the Cardinals really want to give up their best player in the middle of the season with no one to replace him? I don't even know ... do they have an up-and-coming cornerback who's waiting his turn on the bench?

This is why mid-season trades are so rare in the NFL. Teams don't want to give up proven players for draft picks without someone competent to replace that player for the rest of this year. Unless you're the Oakland Raiders, who can't seem to give them away fast enough.
At first I thought Gruden was crazy but he does have a 10-year contract and he absolutely fleeced Jerry Jones getting a 1st for Cooper. Bold strategy but he's not half assing it at least.

As for the Vikings, I could see moving a safety or perhaps a DT, which is also a pretty crowded position. We need OL and DE (if the team doesn't think Everson is coming back anytime soon).
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What does our cap situation look like next year?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:44 pm What does our cap situation look like next year?
According to Spotrac, we'll be at $10.577 million in cap space.

Where could we cut?

Cutting Trae Waynes would save us $9 million, but with Mike Hughes questionable to be ready for the beginning of the season, it seems tough to cut Waynes. Plus, he's playing great football.

Cutting Kyle Rudolph would save $7.625 million. Not sure how I feel about that.

Cutting Andrew Sendejo would save $5.5 million.

There would be some dead money associated with Mike Remmers, but he'd net us about $4.1 million in cap savings if we cut him.

Cutting Mack Alexander would save about $1 million.

Everyone else would represent a savings of less than a million each.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 pm Cutting Kyle Rudolph would save $7.625 million. Not sure how I feel about that.
For that amount of dough, it seems like at least a restructure is warranted.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Waynes has been great for the Vikings the last few weeks. He needs to stay. He's finally coming into his own.

PHP had the best point of trading one of the safeties as that is a surplus position on this team. I love what Harris and Kearse have brought to this team this season. Vikings are deep at that position.