Jets Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Jets Postgame Thread

Post by Raptorman »

Cliff wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 am If 250 yards, 2TD/0INT, and a 95.9 passer rating in windy conditions is him playing badly - Cousins is definitely a keeper. I can only imagine what you think his ceiling must be.
Yup. Really, if that's the bad Kirk. I'll take him. But just for fun let's compare this "bad" QB we had to the "good" one we had last year.

Case after 7 games last year. 149/233 64.9% 7 TD's 3 Int.
Kirk after 7 games this year. 210/300 70.0% 14 TD's 3 Int.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Waynes yesterday: 4 PDs, 1 INT, 3 stops, gave up 1 catch for 6 yards on six targets.

He had a good game.

Hopefully he'll repeat it vs. Brees.

Not going to lie, I don't feel good with our defense (especially secondary) banged up.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

dead_poet wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am Waynes yesterday: 4 PDs, 1 INT, 3 stops, gave up 1 catch for 6 yards on six targets.

He had a good game.

Hopefully he'll repeat it vs. Brees.

Not going to lie, I don't feel good with our defense (especially secondary) banged up.
Yeah, remember when people wanted to cut him?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 pm Wow.

First it's the O-line. The Vikings rush for 195, so then it's Cousins and his fumbles. Cousins comes out of a very windy day against a tough defense with no turnovers, 2 TDs, and a 20-point road victory, but that's not good enough.

It's a 20-point road win. Those don't happen often. Try celebrating once in awhile.
As I'm reading through this thread I was thinking the same thing. Cousins didnt play "great", but he played solid for the most part given the conditions. I feel like some fans just try to find things to complain about. No team plays a perfect game but we just won 37-17 and you're saying Kirk Cousins was the "ugly"? Come on
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

TSonn wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am Just did a breakdown of Cousins' stats by quarter:

1st quarter (with wind):
6/8, 68 yards, 1 TD

2nd quarter (against wind):
6/15, 36 yards

3rd quarter (against wind):
7/10, 71 yards

4th quarter (with wind):
5/7, 66 yards, 1 TD

The big issue was transitioning from the 1st quarter with the wind to the 2nd quarter against the wind. It seemed like Flip wanted to be really conservative because the 2nd quarter was when he had Cousins throwing a bunch of stuff at or before the LOS and none of it was working. Both he and Cousins seemed to adjust for the 3rd quarter because Cousins was throwing more intermediate stuff and led a 74 yard drive that ended with a Murray TD run. Aside from that, we threw deep when the wind was at our back - which is always a good move. In a close game, Cousins would have had 300+ yards because we would have kept throwing in the 4th quarter with the wind.

All things considered (also taking into account how poorly Darnold and his WRs played), that was a solid game from Cousins. Well, except for that backwards pass/fumble - that was a classic Vikings-in-the-4th-quarter-of-a-playoff-game move and it needs to be cleaned up.
Excellent break down
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I always do a good had and the ugly. The good ignored though. I celebrate all. The offense got the ball 5 times in the Jets side of the field and came away with 9 points out of a potential 35. It was ugly. The wind wasn't why we missed on several short passes. The wind wasn't why he threw the ground fumble. It wasnt why he threw that Ponder like pass. Its OK.

FYI I love Kirk.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

A couple of quick comments on yesterday's game:

- Vikings offense struggled with the windy and cold conditions, but overall I thought they handled it well. Cousins did struggle for stretches of the game, but he made some big plays too and no major mistakes. I'm starting to get concerned about the batted balls. I don't recall ever seeing that happen so frequently to a QB. Not sure if that is on the offensive linemen, the QB, the playcalling, or just good play by the defensive line, but it seems like its happening too frequently to be considered just random chance anymore.
- Defense played well overall. Nice to see them creating and taking advantage of turnovers. Injuries might be a big problem for the defense with the Saints coming up. Hopefully they can get healthy.
- I still hold my breath every time Bailey tries a FG. He's making most of them, but its always an adventure.
- Great job by the punting unit in harsh conditions. If they can replicate that performance consistently from here on out, especially in controlled indoor conditions, and give the defense some breathing room, that will really help their chances.
- Overall, it seems like the team is rounding into shape. The running game still struggles at times, but also has been creating more explosive plays. Its definitely not something defenses can afford to ignore. Still room for improvement in terms of consistency, though. The entire offense seems to be settling in a bit now. The defense has definitely improved over their early season performances as well. They made a rookie QB look like a rookie QB for the most part yesterday. We'll see how they handle Brees next Sunday, but apart from injuries affecting them, I like what I'm seeing on that side of the ball as well. And special teams have also settled down. There are still some shaky aspects to the team, but it seems like they are rounding into form and this is a great time of the season to be rounding into form.

On to the Saints!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

There are 5 teams that are above .500 on the road this year. The Rams, Chiefs, Steelers, Saints and Vikings. To make it to the playoffs, you have to win on the road.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 am Yup. Really, if that's the bad Kirk. I'll take him. But just for fun let's compare this "bad" QB we had to the "good" one we had last year.

Case after 7 games last year. 149/233 64.9% 7 TD's 3 Int.
Kirk after 7 games this year. 210/300 70.0% 14 TD's 3 Int.

Overall on the season, Case's per pass attempt stats were nearly identical to Cousins. Cousins is throwing fewer Int's, completing more of his passes, fumbling a lot more, taking more sacks, and has a slightly higher TD %.

7.2 YPA 101.8 Rating 4.7 TD % 1.0 INT % 6.0 Sack % 7 fumbles, 0 game winning drives

7.4 YPA, 98.3 Rating, 4.6 TD %, 1.5 INT % 4.4 Sack % 1 fumble, 3 game winning drives

The first is worth 28 million per year, the second is worth 2 million.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 pm Overall on the season, Case's per pass attempt stats were nearly identical to Cousins. Cousins is throwing fewer Int's, completing more of his passes, fumbling a lot more, taking more sacks, and has a slightly higher TD %.

7.2 YPA 101.8 Rating 4.7 TD % 1.0 INT % 6.0 Sack % 7 fumbles, 0 game winning drives

7.4 YPA, 98.3 Rating, 4.6 TD %, 1.5 INT % 4.4 Sack % 1 fumble, 3 game winning drives

The first is worth 28 million per year, the second is worth 2 million.
I think the taking a lot more sacks and fumbling a lot more might be connected lol

There are times when you see where that money went. Does that first TD to Thielen happen with Case? I'm not so sure. That play set the tone for the rest of the game in my opinion.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 pm 1. A good defense without their starting DBs
2. A team we should beat
I'm guessing Detroit thought they should beat the Jets, too.
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 pmI'm not downplaying the win.
And ... we'll just stop right there. Yes, you are. You do it every week, and you're doing it again.

At least 90% of your posts consist of busting on every aspect of this team. It gets tiresome.
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 pmHowever, Cousins didn't play great despite our points. He would admit it to you. Our turnovers should have lead to more points and we often had stalled drives. I have already pointed out the ways he played poorly. Care to address those points?
Why should I?

Every time I refute your opinions with facts, you resort to more opinions. It gets nowhere.
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 pmBTW, I never blamed Cousins for the fumbles and I have never stop pointing out that our oline is an issue. We still cannot consitently run the ball. Way too many hits in the backfield and 1 yard gains. I'm not satisfied in beating the Jets. I am thinking about playoffs and I see things that need to be fixed or we will be adding yet another non-championship season to our record. It's ok to say something related to the Vikings was bad. Not everything is perfect.
Non-championship season? Strap it on, young'un. I've been through 50 of them now. And I'm nowhere near as pessimistic as you are.

No, the offense wasn't sharp yesterday, especially in the second quarter. But they scored 37 points, a season high, so it wasn't like they were inept. You say "not everything was perfect." Do you honestly believe that's a realistic standard? This isn't a video game. Last I checked, the other team pays its players, too. It's the NFL. Nothing is ever perfect. The Chiefs found that out a week ago, and the Rams will find it out soon enough.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

ChicagoViking wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blown non-call on the delay of game by the Jets on that pass that got them down to the one yard line before they scored their last TD. Clock was clearly at double zero for half a count before they snapped the ball. I paused the damn play when it was at double zero and the center hadn't even started to move the damn ball. It was obvious live, and even more obvious on replay. WTF‽ That should be automatic you terrible officiating crew! Luckily, it didn't matter, but seriously, WTF‽
I mentioned it in the game chat. It is unofficial but it was definitely at zero on the graphic.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Playing on the road in the cold/wind and winning by 20 is nice. Need our depth back if we want to beat the Saints. The wheel route to #40 for the Jets makes me nervous that Brees will have a hay day with Kamara and Ingram. Brees has yet to throw a pick-we are going to HAVE to pressure him.

Patrick Peterson is begging to be traded...who knows if they will actually get rid of him, but do we have the $ to do so? Worth it? I'm guessing it will take at least a first round pick and probably more.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Re: batted balls, I mentioned in the game chat that Kirk has a pretty strong tell in that he pats the ball before he throws it. Pure speculation but my guess is D-coordinators are telling their lineman to look for it and get up in the air when he does it. The sheer number of batted balls so far outside the rest of the league average leads me to believe it's more than just pressure, although that's likely a factor, defenses are seeing something he's doing.

The other thing I forgot to mention is Kendricks has taken a pretty big step back this year. Missed tackles, over pursuing/biting on play action, etc. I'm not really sure what's the issue. Hopefully he isn't playing hurt. I'm sure the stuff going on with his brother isn't making things easier.

On the flip side, it was nice to see Tom Johnson back. He was very disruptive all game and he and Parry did a pretty good job filling in for Linval. Holmes getting his first sack was also nice to see.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

ChicagoViking wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blown non-call on the delay of game by the Jets on that pass that got them down to the one yard line before they scored their last TD. Clock was clearly at double zero for half a count before they snapped the ball. I paused the damn play when it was at double zero and the center hadn't even started to move the damn ball. It was obvious live, and even more obvious on replay. WTF‽ That should be automatic you terrible officiating crew! Luckily, it didn't matter, but seriously, WTF‽
I used to umpire college baseball. "Mechanics," meaning how officials position themselves and do certain things, are a big deal to refs and umps. For example, on plays at first, you watch for the runner's foot to hit the bag and listen for the ball to hit the glove. Here's what I understand about the referee mechanics on this.

The referee watches the clock until it hits zero or the ball is snapped. Only then does he look to see if the ball has been snapped. The idea is that he can't watch both at once, so he watches the clock until it hits zero. That means it's theoretically possible for the clock to run out, and the play still gets run.

However, even taking those mechanics into account, yesterday's play seemed particularly egregious to me. I thought it was a good second after the clock hit zero that the Jets snapped the ball. In my opinion, the ref simply blew the call. I can guarantee you he would not admit to that if asked, but that's what I saw.

I'm just glad the game didn't ride on that play.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.