Cardinals Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

raddmann
Backup

Re: Cardinals Postgame Thread

Post by raddmann »

The Vikings could save some money by replacing Hill with a slice of Swiss cheese. Not a bad game today but not great because AZ is so putrid. I am really getting concerned about Cousins fumbling. That was his reputation but he's off to the worst start of his career and now that has cost us 3 TD's - 1 today and 2 vs Buffalo. Just can't afford that against good teams. On the plus side - Warren Moon was even worse when he was here. Theilan continues to amaze and Murray is pretty solid if he gets a little blocking. Both good character guys that never complain. Looks like we finally have a solid kicker.

My overall grade B

Forgot to mention Hunter : Lights Out !
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

The Vikings could save some money by replacing Hill with a slice of Swiss cheese. Not a bad game today but not great because AZ is so putrid. I am really getting concerned about Cousins fumbling. That was his reputation but he's off to the worst start of his career and now that has cost us 3 TD's - 1 today and 2 vs Buffalo. Just can't afford that against good teams. On the plus side - Warren Moon was even worse when he was here. Theilan continues to amaze and Murray is pretty solid if he gets a little blocking. Both good character guys that never complain. Looks like we finally have a solid kicker.

My overall grade B

Forgot to mention Hunter : Lights Out !
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I agree with concern with cousin's fumbles. That kind of thing has a tendency to pop up at the wrong times. He's in his 7th season, so I'm not sure how much improvement he will be able to make, but it is a big concern.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm I agree with concern with cousin's fumbles. That kind of thing has a tendency to pop up at the wrong times. He's in his 7th season, so I'm not sure how much improvement he will be able to make, but it is a big concern.
Yeah he has a bad habit and it will be difficult to break but he has sort of compensated for it by only throwing 2 picks.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

You guys have to realize the main reason Cousins is fumbling the ball so much, is his Oline cant protect him. He does not have the time that teams that are as good as us, or better, have. Fix the line, and some of the fumbles will disappear. That being said, sometimes he holds onto the ball a tad late without moving. But dam, he has got a nice touch on that ball, and he and Thelien are BFF's. And thank god for Murray. I think when/if Cook comes back its going to be a 60/40 split time, with Murray taking the load and Cook for receiving. We sure get our share of ACl tears wth?
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

Some would disappear but is he the only qb in the NFL that faces a stiff pass rush ? Keenum got rushed really hard last year too but only had one fumble. Besides last season, Cousins had pretty good OL's in Washington and still was a huge fumbler. It's him not the OL. The funbles this year are not an aberation. Over the last 3 plus seasons nobody has fumbled more than Cousins.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:09 pm How is Hill in run blocking? Maybe that has to be taken into account as well.
It doesnt matter. It's not like our run game has been good this year regardless. And this was the only game it was any good. And O'Neill was also playing
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:23 pm You guys have to realize the main reason Cousins is fumbling the ball so much, is his Oline cant protect him. He does not have the time that teams that are as good as us, or better, have. Fix the line, and some of the fumbles will disappear. That being said, sometimes he holds onto the ball a tad late without moving. But dam, he has got a nice touch on that ball, and he and Thelien are BFF's. And thank god for Murray. I think when/if Cook comes back its going to be a 60/40 split time, with Murray taking the load and Cook for receiving. We sure get our share of ACl tears wth?
That's exactly why Cousins is fumbling. He's getting hit from his BLINDSIDE. Very quickly none the less. Which is why we need Oneill over there. He can stay with speed. Hill and Reiff cannot
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

raddmann wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:31 pm Some would disappear but is he the only qb in the NFL that faces a stiff pass rush ? Keenum got rushed really hard last year too but only had one fumble. Besides last season, Cousins had pretty good OL's in Washington and still was a huge fumbler. It's him not the OL. The funbles this year are not an aberation. Over the last 3 plus seasons nobody has fumbled more than Cousins.
When you're getting hit on your blindside constantly, cannot see the guy coming and you're about to pull back for a throw, 99% of QBs are going to fumble that. Period. I don't care who plays where but the blindside needs to get figured out. The fact that we thought Hill would be better against a speed rusher like Chandler Jones baffles me. Quit being stubborn. He's a rookie but WHO CARES. He is our best tackle right now. Put your best players where they should be. Hill is our 3rd best tackle. Possibly even 4th before Collins went down. He's awful with his feet and awful with his hands. But woohoo he's strong! You're about to get the #1 guy keeping this team going to be done for the year due to injury if you don't make a change. I don't care who's on the interior, get Reiff on the right side. Period.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:39 pm That's exactly why Cousins is fumbling. He's getting hit from his BLINDSIDE. Very quickly none the less. Which is why we need Oneill over there. He can stay with speed. Hill and Reiff cannot
I don't think his fumble today was from his blind side
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I know the answer is no but just for fun how/what if this team could trade for Patrick Peterson? In light of the Hughes injury CB is concerning imo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:44 pm When you're getting hit on your blindside constantly, cannot see the guy coming and you're about to pull back for a throw, 99% of QBs are going to fumble that. Period. I don't care who plays where but the blindside needs to get figured out. The fact that we thought Hill would be better against a speed rusher like Chandler Jones baffles me. Quit being stubborn. He's a rookie but WHO CARES. He is our best tackle right now. Put your best players where they should be. Hill is our 3rd best tackle. Possibly even 4th before Collins went down. He's awful with his feet and awful with his hands. But woohoo he's strong! You're about to get the #1 guy keeping this team going to be done for the year due to injury if you don't make a change. I don't care who's on the interior, get Reiff on the right side. Period.

I think this is more of an excuse than an explanation. Cousins has been at the top of the league in fumbles way before he came to the Vikings. Trying to tie an issue to the Vikings Oline that he has historically had to deal with is an excuse. Not only that, there are QBs sacked at a higher rate than cousins that don't fumble nearly as much. He either doesn't have a good pocket awareness or he is just careless with the football. There are plenty of QBs that get hit on their blindside that don't fumble. Not only that, cousins should know better than anyone where the weaknesses of the OLine are and be able to adjust accordingly. We just need to accept this is an issue that Cousins has. No QB is perfect. The question will come though when his fumbles start to cost the Vikings games.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm I know the answer is no but just for fun how/what if this team could trade for Patrick Peterson? In light of the Hughes injury CB is concerning imo.
If there is any position that this team can afford to lose a player, it's DB. It sucks but I'd be really upset if they traded for a defensive player at this point.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm I don't think his fumble today was from his blind side
Actually, it was. Chandler Jones beat Rashod Hill like a drum on that play.

Go back and watch the highlights. Jones ran right around Hill like he was standing still (well, he pretty much WAS standing still) and forced Cousins to climb the pocket. But Jones caught Cousins and wrapped one arm around him, then swatted the ball out with the other.

That play was all on Rashod Hill.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:29 pm Well, sorry, but you'd be wrong. Chandler Jones beat Rashod Hill like a drum on that play.

Go back and watch the highlights. Jones ran right around Hill like he was standing still (well, he pretty much WAS standing still) and forced Cousins to climb the pocket. But Jones caught Cousins and wrapped one arm around him, then swatted the ball out with the other.

That play was all on Rashod Hill.
Ok. I was thinking that because the ball went to his left that the hit came from ther right.