Cardinals Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Cardinals Pregame Thread

Post by Cliff »

First visit to the new stadium for me. Doing the tour tomorrow. Hoping for a good one!
The Minnesota Vikings (2-2-1) return home after two consecutive road games for a matchup with the Arizona Cardinals (1-4) at U.S Bank Stadium. The game, scheduled to kick off at noon (CT) Sunday, will be the 28th contest between the two franchises and the 15th played in Minnesota.

The Cardinals are coming off a 28-18 road win at San Francisco, the first victory of Cardinals Head Coach Steve Wilks’ career. The Vikings captured their first road victory of the season in a 23-21 win at Philadelphia, a rematch of the 2017 NFC Championship Game.

Minnesota enters Week 6 ranking third in the NFL in passing yards per game with a 321.4 mark through five games. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins has thrown for 1,688 yards, the second-highest total in the NFL. Cousins is one of four QBs (along with Drew Brees, Jared Goff and Matt Ryan) to rank in the top 10 in each of the following categories - completion percentage, passing yards and passing touchdowns in 2018.
https://www.vikings.com/news/game-previ ... at-vikings
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Cardinals Pregame Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

It's going to blow you away. I've gone once or twice a year since it's opened and it blows me away every time.

Side note: My first game in the Metrodome was in 2012 vs the Cardinals and we won. Hopefully you have the same outcome!! :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am First visit to the new stadium for me. Doing the tour tomorrow. Hoping for a good one!
You are going to LOVE USB!

Here's my thought about it, which I've had from the moment I started watching my first game there in 2016. It's the first stadium I've ever seen where you get all the amenities of watching from you living room, only you're there. It's just an amazing experience.

My first game there was when the Vikings played the Cardinals two years ago. I was in the end zone, one row down from the huge glass doors, and the following two things happened right in front of us.

1. Xavier Rhodes hit Carson Palmer with a 100-yard pick-six just before halftime.
2. Cordarelle Patterson returned the second-half kickoff 104 yards for a TD.

You are in for a treat. Enjoy!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I’m worried about this game. The Cardinals are bad. Like really bad. So it should be an easy win. But we thought the same thing about the Bills and they came into the Bank and kicked the Vikings’ ####. I’m just not sure if the Vikings are a good team, a mediocre team, a bad team, or a typical Vikings team (play to the level of the opponent). I guess we’ll find out. Skol!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am First visit to the new stadium for me. Doing the tour tomorrow. Hoping for a good one!
Nice! The tour is definitely worth it, you get to go on the field, in the locker rooms, and there's a lot of memorabilia hanging all over the walls.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

akvikingsfan wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm I’m worried about this game. The Cardinals are bad. Like really bad. So it should be an easy win. But we thought the same thing about the Bills and they came into the Bank and kicked the Vikings’ ####. I’m just not sure if the Vikings are a good team, a mediocre team, a bad team, or a typical Vikings team (play to the level of the opponent). I guess we’ll find out. Skol!
Lightning doesn’t strike twice :confused:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for the feedback about going to USB. My wife got me the tickets for my birthday and I'm super excited. Got club seats near mid field. Tour at 1pm today.

Sounds like watching the Cardinals as your first game is lucky, hopefully I can keep up the tradition!

As for the game itself. I'm not as worried about this game as I was the Bills. I'm hoping the "losing to teams you're obviously better than" portion of the season is over. Never take a Viking win for granted tho!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Let us hope they learned their lesson against the Bills. They should win this.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

akvikingsfan wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm I’m worried about this game. The Cardinals are bad. Like really bad. So it should be an easy win. But we thought the same thing about the Bills and they came into the Bank and kicked the Vikings’ ####. I’m just not sure if the Vikings are a good team, a mediocre team, a bad team, or a typical Vikings team (play to the level of the opponent). I guess we’ll find out. Skol!
I have to think they learned their lesson from that Buffalo game. If they lose to Arizona then Vikings should definitely not be considered a Championship caliber team.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Go in, stay focused, get the job done, leave.

The Vikings need to stay focused week to week and this is the perfect game to finally get back to form.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

When I saw this game on our schedule I wondered if we'd get to see Bradford play against us. If we didn't I figured it would be due to injury not benching !
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Bradford's career has been interesting to me. He was very good for the Vikings and he showed flashes of that in his early seasons with the Rams. He was horrible with Philadelphia though and horrible with Arizona. It's hard to argue for the guy when he has so many stinkers, but most of his tenure with Minnesota would have led you to believe he was a perennial top 10 NFL QB.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

He's an enigma. I haven't seen him play a down this year but my guess is that he sucks because their entire offense sucks and I doubt Rosen will do any better in the near term. We've seen first hand that Sam can sling that ball as well as anyone in the league if he has good recievers, blocking and scheme. I dunno why they spent 20 million on a qb when they have so many holes on the team. They were going to have a crap season no matter who played QB for them and would have been better off getting a much cheaper journeyman guy to fill until Rosen is ready and spent the money they saved upgrading another position. Let's be glad that we aren't Cardinals fans (if there is such a thing).
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I liked their roster and they had a better running back than Sam ever did when he was in Minnesota (not talking career achievements, but current skill at the time) with David Johnson and despite his age, Larry Fitzgerald still had over 100 receptions last seaso n and should still be contributing at a high level this season (he's not)...Their offensive line though (surprise surprise) is one of the worst in football.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

They are last in the league rushing. We beat them by 2 yards/game to be the second worst. Since I'm talking OL, I wonder how that 6' 9" 400 lb OL on the Gophs will do. He's the Andre the Giant of football I guess.