Running Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinal66
Waterboy

Running Game

Post by Cardinal66 »

1st post, obviously we need to better our running game. Dalvin Cook is a great athlete, but his durability has to be considered. I don't know what is left on our salary cap but could we swing Le'Veon Bell?
My next question is on defense, since Everson Griffen out could we consider bringing in Brian Robison, if he would consider coming back.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Running Game

Post by dead_poet »

Cardinal66 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm 1st post,
:welcome
obviously we need to better our running game. Dalvin Cook is a great athlete, but his durability has to be considered. I don't know what is left on our salary cap but could we swing Le'Veon Bell?
No. And it's really not our backs that's the problem. It's the offensive line. Put Bell out of your head so it doesn't frustrate you. That ain't happening.
My next question is on defense, since Everson Griffen out could we consider bringing in Brian Robison, if he would consider coming back.
He probably would but I think the coaching staff really likes the young guys (Bower, Weatherly). Robison would be depth only. And I'm hoping because they haven't signed anyone yet they're still hoping Griffen comes back in a few weeks/month.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

last i heard, the Vikings have about $500K left in cap space.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Not a chance we could afford Bell but also, I dont want him. And it isnt realistic anyways. He's a problem on and off the field with his selfishness. Dalvin Cook is a good running back. Period. Yes durability worries me but we know what he can do. Latavius Murray is probably the 2nd best backup "workhorse" RB in the league behind Tevin Coleman. We have VERY good RBs. And Zimmer, announcers and myself have all said, the running game looks much worse because we were playing from behind for a while. Then we play Philly who has the #1 run defense in the NFL. I'm truly not worried about it. I think it will get going. Especially when Cook is back to full strength
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I agree. I do not want him. Cap hit aside, if the Vikings wanted him right now, the price in draft picks alone would make it not worth it.

Vikings are set with Cook whenever he gets back healthy and Murray is a great fill-in.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:12 am Not a chance we could afford Bell but also, I dont want him. And it isnt realistic anyways. He's a problem on and off the field with his selfishness. Dalvin Cook is a good running back. Period. Yes durability worries me but we know what he can do. Latavius Murray is probably the 2nd best backup "workhorse" RB in the league behind Tevin Coleman. We have VERY good RBs. And Zimmer, announcers and myself have all said, the running game looks much worse because we were playing from behind for a while. Then we play Philly who has the #1 run defense in the NFL. I'm truly not worried about it. I think it will get going. Especially when Cook is back to full strength
Latavius is dreadful. Fourth best RB on this team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 pm Latavius is dreadful. Fourth best RB on this team.
Yeah, okay. :roll:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 pm Yeah, okay. :roll:
I just remembered C.J. Ham! Murray is the 5th best RB on the team!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 pm I just remembered C.J. Ham! Murray is the 5th best RB on the team!
I do hope you're joking.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pm I do hope you're joking.
Remind me the last time you saw Murray get more than 2 yards after contact, or gain a single yard without a gaping hole.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I don't think Murray is the problem. But I will agree he's been underwhelming this season. It's not just one thing at work here...the entire mechanism of "run game" is off track.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 pm I don't think Murray is the problem. But I will agree he's been underwhelming this season. It's not just one thing at work here...the entire mechanism of "run game" is off track.
Totally agree.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

EAGAN, Minn. – Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer isn’t concerned that the Vikings are dropping back to pass an average of 45 times per game, or that Minnesota ranks 31st in the NFL in rushing yards per game.

If the formula the Vikings produce on Sunday ends with them having more points than the opponent, Zimmer is all for it.

“I don’t really care about statistics. I just want to get wins. I don’t care how we do it,” Zimmer said to the Twin Cities media at his weekly Wednesday press conference. “Obviously, I have a philosophy, but we have to do what we have to do to win football games.

“If you watch, some of these teams have been great throughout the years, they may throw it 60 times per game then they may run 50 times per game,” Zimmer added. “Whatever we have to do to win the football game is really what is important to me.”
Read more
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 pm Latavius is dreadful. Fourth best RB on this team.
Not even close. I'm referring to "workhorse" RBs. Boone and Thomas arent workhorse RBs. We were 7th in the NFL last year in rushing offense. And dont say that was because of McKinnon because he actually averaged less YPC than Murray did.

You're saying Murray hasnt looked good this year....ok, who has? If others were succeeding and he wasnt, I understand. But that is far from the case. He's averaging way more YPC than Cook is this year. And we all know Cook is an all around better back. So that shows how much "this year" shows us
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:53 pm Remind me the last time you saw Murray get more than 2 yards after contact, or gain a single yard without a gaping hole.
On the last drive where Bailey hit the 50-yarder. I think it was a 12 yard run. Granted there was a nice hole but he did a good job of cutting and gaining a couple yards after contact. Murray isn't a guy that breaks a ton of tackles, which is admittedly weird for a guy his size but I think he shows good vision and ability to make guys miss. Similar to Cook but not quite at the same level.