Eagles Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5485
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Overall, this looked like the Vikings of last year. We dominated them on both sides of the ball all day. Only reason they had a slim shot at the end was due to us sitting in prevent. I just had a feeling we’d show up like this.

Defensively: no Waynes, no griff. Overcame adversity. Pass rush was much better. Weatherly gave lane Johnson a run for his money. Linval and Sheldon are dominant. Danielle is consistent as they come. I just hope everson can come back sooner than expected. I can’t stand Barr but he looked a lot better today. Harry and sendejo were all over the field today

Offensively, I don’t care what anyone says, cousins is the real deal. Think about it, he has two INTs, one being Treadwells fault 100%, the other was a tight window throw but was dropped by Murray and landed on a guys lap that was laying on the ground. If it wasn’t for drops, Cousins is 11 tds to 0 ints. That’s insane. And he’s not getting near the credit he deserves. Him, Thielen and Diggs are an unstoppable trio. Sprinkling in Rudy, Laquon (thought he played a lot better), etc this is a very dangerous offense. I want Dalvin back ASAP and we need to let him loose.

Bailey looked a little shaky but I’m not worried at all. He’s still much better than anyone out there or anyone we had.

Overall, excellent road win!!!
1 x
Image

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:52 pm
Overall, this looked like the Vikings of last year. We dominated them on both sides of the ball all day. Only reason they had a slim shot at the end was due to us sitting in prevent. I just had a feeling we’d show up like this.

Defensively: no Waynes, no griff. Overcame adversity. Pass rush was much better. Weatherly gave lane Johnson a run for his money. Linval and Sheldon are dominant. Danielle is consistent as they come. I just hope everson can come back sooner than expected. I can’t stand Barr but he looked a lot better today. Harry and sendejo were all over the field today

Offensively, I don’t care what anyone says, cousins is the real deal. Think about it, he has two INTs, one being Treadwells fault 100%, the other was a tight window throw but was dropped by Murray and landed on a guys lap that was laying on the ground. If it wasn’t for drops, Cousins is 11 tds to 0 ints. That’s insane. And he’s not getting near the credit he deserves. Him, Thielen and Diggs are an unstoppable trio. Sprinkling in Rudy, Laquon (thought he played a lot better), etc this is a very dangerous offense. I want Dalvin back ASAP and we need to let him loose.

Bailey looked a little shaky but I’m not worried at all. He’s still much better than anyone out there or anyone we had.

Overall, excellent road win!!!
Not worried about Bailey. Rudolph has the ability to turn a 20 yard gain into a 2 yarder. Im not sure why he is so slow to get going when he catches the ball. Cooks on swing passes is a must as an emergency outlet. Hopefuly next season we do address the oline because we need a run game. We still haven't had a dominant showing this season and I think we will need that in the playoffs.
0 x

User avatar
ChicagoViking
Veteran
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by ChicagoViking » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:27 pm

God I wish we could trade this win for the loss in the NFC Championship game . . . . Would have been SWEET.
0 x

User avatar
allday1991
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by allday1991 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 am

Everything went good, except 2 missed field goals and a god awful running game. But seriuosly our running game sucks so bad its hard to watch. Given we have weak oline they are definitely better at pass protection than run blocking, so add in terrible blocking with two average runners and you got the mess of a running game we got, and its hard to watch after being spoiled with peterson for so many seasons.
0 x
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson

TheCoolerOne
Transition Player
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by TheCoolerOne » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am

This link may seem out of place, but it brings up some pretty interesting points, and it is also amusing to indulge in a little schadenfreude from time to time.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/10/1/17 ... rk-koetter

If you don't feel like reading, the just of the article is about the total collapse of the Buccaneers defense over the past couple of seasons under the tutelage of Mike Smith (ex ATL coach.)

The main reason, according to the author, is the all-consuming predication that his (Smith) defense stop the run first. They've been shaping a team to stop the run for three years now, and they get worse every year. No one runs the ball in the NFL anymore. As the author points out, most teams are peppering runs in basically for no other reason than to just add in some unpredictability.

It'd be great if we could be a little more effective, but Cook catching a swing pass out of the backfield is essentially netting the same result. We've only been out of one game this season, and at that point, running wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
0 x

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1816
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by TSonn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 am

Totally a moot point, but could we have challenged the call that Rudolph stepped OB on his catch and run near the end of the game?

The play is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jlXywo ... u.be&t=146

I know they showed an angle on the broadcast where it "looked" like he stepped out, but I don't think he did. The step in question is this one (https://imgur.com/a/J2BozA3) and it seems like there's a sliver of grass between his foot and the sideline.

Buck and Aikman didn't really talk about it much, but it looks like we could've had the ball at the 20 instead of the 40.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24567
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by dead_poet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:31 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 pm
I respect that. I’ve been saying it since GB, he needs to be starting. And to be honest, I’d rather have him at LT. He not giving up pressures, which is huge for Cousins blind side. At least with Hill at RT or Reiff if he is healthy, cousins can see them coming.

I would love to see the stats but I really can’t recall O’Neill giving up one pressure in 3 games he’s played.

And I know his knock is his strength but you don’t need a “strong” tackle. You need strong guards. You need athletic tackles. And that’s exactly what oniell is. He has the ability to stay with speed rushers. Hills feet are awful. I guess I just don’t understand their reasoning behind keeping him on the bench given how he’s played. Drives me nuts
He's susceptible to bull rushed and I think has had a few hurries because of it. I saw some film breakdown of his recent play. But I'd honestly rather have that than getting immediately burned on the edge. He's been much better than most everyone thought he'd be at this point. Not measurable degrees better than Hill, IMO. But every little bit helps.

Alexander, on the other hand, has been pretty terrible this year. I'm really disappointed in him. Kendricks has taken a step back, too. And Rhodes hasn't been himself either.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3550
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by mansquatch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:22 am

I was very happy with this game given where we have been so far this season. IMO, this was exactly what we really needed to see. The defense obviously had a great week of practice and they corrected a lot of the issues that had plagued the team in the first 4 weeks of the season. Was it a perfect performance, no, are there still issues, absolutely.

Defensive Line was MUCH better. Pass Rush showed up big time. If they can play at this level and we get EG back, this will be a fearsome group, akin to what we expected at the start of the season. Secondary was vastly improved. LB were much better as well. Overall, the defense played a GREAT game. More important to me was that they did it against a great offensive HC in Doug Pedersen. The question on this unit now isn't "have they lost it" but "can they maintain it".

Offense: Passive game is absolutely legitimate. Our WR are a true matchup issue for any defense. (IMO, this is why we won the game on O.) Very few defenses in the NFL are going to be able to take away both of them. Red Zone efficacy was an issue, but we were playing one of the best, if not the best Red Zone defenses in the NFL.

OL imo took some strides today. They played against a very good defensive front and were able to make the passing game happen,

All that being said, our running game still sucks. Frankly, in retrospect it shouldn't be a shock. Easton is out for the season, so our starting LG is a back up and I'm not really sold on Remmers at RG. Also, losing Cook and his speed has hurt us. Murray doesn't really scare anybody on the edge, which makes it easier for opposing DC to game plan to shut our rushing attack down. I thought it looked "better" this week, but it still isn't where it needs to be.

Last but not least... the Kicker. OMG! At least he bounced back and made the clutch kick at the end, but serious WTH?!?!?
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by PacificNorseWest » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am

Glad they finally came out and played well. Even though Philly clearly isn't on the same level as last season, going to Philly is always a large task and the Vikings took care of business to right the ship.

Takeaways:

I'm not worried about Dan Bailey right now. So far yesterday's missed kicks only warranted a roll of the eyes.

Another thing is that I think they were way too relaxed on giving up that last TD to bring Philly within 2. I completely understand playing prevent and keeping everything in front, but when they got closer to the endzone, that is when the field shrinks and you're supposed to protect the endzone and at the very least, make them run a few plays to burn the clock. Philly scored way too easy.

Mike Hughes is getting better and better as well.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3550
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by mansquatch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:51 am

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am
Glad they finally came out and played well. Even though Philly clearly isn't on the same level as last season, going to Philly is always a large task and the Vikings took care of business to right the ship.

Takeaways:

I'm not worried about Dan Bailey right now. So far yesterday's missed kicks only warranted a roll of the eyes.

Another thing is that I think they were way too relaxed on giving up that last TD to bring Philly within 2. I completely understand playing prevent and keeping everything in front, but when they got closer to the endzone, that is when the field shrinks and you're supposed to protect the endzone and at the very least, make them run a few plays to burn the clock. Philly scored way too easy.

Mike Hughes is getting better and better as well.
I disagree on the negativity about going Prevent. We were up by 2 scores, it was after the 2 minute warning and Philly had exhausted it's time outs. In short, it didn't matter what they did. Our whole goal was to tackle them in-bounds. The only critical play in all of that was the onside kick. In that scenario the only tthing hat mattered was the Vikings taking possession. As soon as we had the foot ball it was Victory Formation for 2-3 downs and the game was over, it didn't matter when.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Franchise Player
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm

mansquatch wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:51 am
I disagree on the negativity about going Prevent. We were up by 2 scores, it was after the 2 minute warning and Philly had exhausted it's time outs. In short, it didn't matter what they did. Our whole goal was to tackle them in-bounds. The only critical play in all of that was the onside kick. In that scenario the only tthing hat mattered was the Vikings taking possession. As soon as we had the foot ball it was Victory Formation for 2-3 downs and the game was over, it didn't matter when.
There has to be a better way to play prevent than giving up 15 yards a pop. 3 safeties deep with man underneath and a 3 man rush. A successful onside kick yesterday would have given us another loss.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 pm

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am
This link may seem out of place, but it brings up some pretty interesting points, and it is also amusing to indulge in a little schadenfreude from time to time.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/10/1/17 ... rk-koetter

If you don't feel like reading, the just of the article is about the total collapse of the Buccaneers defense over the past couple of seasons under the tutelage of Mike Smith (ex ATL coach.)

The main reason, according to the author, is the all-consuming predication that his (Smith) defense stop the run first. They've been shaping a team to stop the run for three years now, and they get worse every year. No one runs the ball in the NFL anymore. As the author points out, most teams are peppering runs in basically for no other reason than to just add in some unpredictability.

It'd be great if we could be a little more effective, but Cook catching a swing pass out of the backfield is essentially netting the same result. We've only been out of one game this season, and at that point, running wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
You need to be able to run out the clock when up big. We were up 20 - 3 and almost lost yesterday. The final drive showed some ability to run the ball and #### a result, PHI didn't have time for two scores. Anyone that thinks running isn't that important is lying to you. Champs won with a RPO offense due to the run, Atlanta lost to Pats but was a running team. In this day and age running is still viable.
0 x

TheCoolerOne
Transition Player
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by TheCoolerOne » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 pm
You need to be able to run out the clock when up big. We were up 20 - 3 and almost lost yesterday. The final drive showed some ability to run the ball and #### a result, PHI didn't have time for two scores. Anyone that thinks running isn't that important is lying to you. Champs won with a RPO offense due to the run, Atlanta lost to Pats but was a running team. In this day and age running is still viable.
I don't disagree, but there are ways around it. We schemed up plenty of plays yesterday that essentially were in substitution of running, and they worked the same. The Diggs bubble (with the nifty moves) comes to mind. You rattle off four of the elite backs in this league, and the one glaring thing they have in common is their value and overall danger as a pass catcher: Gurley, Kamara, Hunt, Elliott, Howard/Cohen. Of course running is still viable, it just isn't as important.

It is easier to abandon the run for the pass than it ever has been, I think is my point. With Cousins completing 70-something percent of his passes, I would just as soon trust him on a third and two trying to salt the game away late as I would trying to bust it with Murray.
1 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11411
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by S197 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm
I don't disagree, but there are ways around it. We schemed up plenty of plays yesterday that essentially were in substitution of running, and they worked the same. The Diggs bubble (with the nifty moves) comes to mind. You rattle off four of the elite backs in this league, and the one glaring thing they have in common is their value and overall danger as a pass catcher: Gurley, Kamara, Hunt, Elliott, Howard/Cohen. Of course running is still viable, it just isn't as important.

It is easier to abandon the run for the pass than it ever has been, I think is my point. With Cousins completing 70-something percent of his passes, I would just as soon trust him on a third and two trying to salt the game away late as I would trying to bust it with Murray.
The problem is those gadget plays can only work for so long and when they don't, you get incomplete passes that stop the clock at best. At worst you get dropped laterals for costly turnovers.

It's also very important in the red zone where the offense struggled.

We're the only team in the league without a 100 yard rusher and that's a very big issue. Kirk played great but he's also getting hit a lot. It's not a sustainable formula over a full season.
1 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Franchise Player
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:30 pm

S197 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm
The problem is those gadget plays can only work for so long and when they don't, you get incomplete passes that stop the clock at best. At worst you get dropped laterals for costly turnovers.

It's also very important in the red zone where the offense struggled.

We're the only team in the league without a 100 yard rusher and that's a very big issue. Kirk played great but he's also getting hit a lot. It's not a sustainable formula over a full season.
Agree. Hopefully they can gel as the season goes on and Cook can get something going.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

Post Reply