The Punter

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

The Punter

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I keep meaning to bring this up, but it always seems to be in the shadows of all the other issues with this team...

What is everyone's thoughts on this punter, Matt Wile? He seems to be very inconsistent and not all that great. I haven't looked at any of his stats or where they rank, but this guy over kicks into the endzone on punts you'd think they have a legitimate chance to pin inside the 10 or he'll leave short a punt when there's nothing but field that he's kicking to.

Quigley wasn't great, but I feel like he was more consistent and we knew what we were getting. Maybe it's just me, but when this team gets its act together, I feel like the punter is going to become an issue for this team.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: The Punter

Post by Purple Domination »

Wile has longer range, but is not as accurate pinning deep IMO. You are right, lots of touch backs.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Honestly, this was the move that irritated me the most this off-season. Quigley was a good punter. It's really annoying that they thought they needed to upgrade. He Mae teams have to go the full field often and was accurate. But yeah let's drop him for someone with almost no NFL punting experience. We also tried that with the kicker and how did that work out?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I don't mind trying to upgrade, but this new guy is wildly inaccurate. I'd take Quigley's weaker leg vs. this guy right now. Especially with Minnesota's offense. They can move the ball, so if they stall out at the 50, I'd rather the guy (Quigley) who can pin the other team inside the 10 then the guy who will boom that same punt into the endzone to net only 30 yards.

I guess there's time to see improvement, so hopefully that happens. I just feel like this is flying under the radar and might come up huge in a big game situation.We'll see...
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Don't like em i'd take Quigley too. Being inaccurate without it being bad field conditions doesn't cut it.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Speaking of punters this question is obviously for everyone does anyone have a favorite punter or a punter they thought was really good in our historic Vikings history? Which ones do you like?
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

FullWood wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am Speaking of punters this question is obviously for everyone does anyone have a favorite punter or a punter they thought was really good in our historic Vikings history? Which ones do you like?
Mitch Berger.

And that's about as early as I'll remember. I was 11 when he first signed with the Vikings. I didn't start really recognizing punters until 13. He's the best I can remember during my fanhood years.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

FullWood wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am Speaking of punters this question is obviously for everyone does anyone have a favorite punter or a punter they thought was really good in our historic Vikings history? Which ones do you like?
Mitch Berger. And for the record, I hated Chris kluwe.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

Greg Coleman
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 pmMitch Berger. And for the record, I hated Chris kluwe.
Huh? Kluwe was arguably the Vikings best rookie in 2005 and was in the top 10 in average yards per punt multiple seasons. He certainly averaged more yards per punt than Berger.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Quiggles was NOT a good punter. The only thing he could do well was punt inside the 20 when we were at midfield. Our offense was good at driving the ball downfield last year so it played to his strengths. His hang time and net were bottom barrel.

Wile is an upgrade, though he's just as inconsistent. Seems to have as many random shanks as Quiggles. But his good punts are much better.

Bring in some more competition next season (udfa rookie or some weird foreign rugby guy I don't care).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Another shank yesterday...The funny thing is, this is probably his 3rd or 4th "shank" that ends up rolling about 10 yards to make it somewhat a decent kick. :lol:
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

ChicagoViking wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 pm Huh? Kluwe was arguably the Vikings best rookie in 2005 and was in the top 10 in average yards per punt multiple seasons. He certainly averaged more yards per punt than Berger.
I forgot how many years Kluwe played for us that's a long time another year I think he would of led this franchise in punting records.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

So nobody liked Jeff Locke?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

FullWood wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:17 am So nobody liked Jeff Locke?
I liked him better than kluwe. He was much better at directional punting and did more than kick the ball as far as he could.