A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by PacificNorseWest » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 pm

You can say that all you want, but Peters is a bonafide playmaker in the NFL. He wasn't even supposed to play yesterday due to injury, but he toughed it out anyway.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by YikesVikes » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 pm

5. The Rams will win a bunch of regular-season games because they play in an awful division. But they'll get their butts handed to them in the playoffs. Their defense is crap, and that offense will disintegrate if they get into any weather. They'd better pray they get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

6. If you can't tell, I'm more pissed today than I was watching the game last night. I can't stand Sean McVay, and I can't stand the Rams. The way Cousins, Diggs and Thielen were playing, we should have destroyed them. Instead, all we're hearing about is how amazing the Rams are. They opened against the Raiders and Cardinals, and now that they've played us, they get the Seahawks, Broncos and 49ers. This is a first-place schedule? Sorry. I'm ticked. That game was winnable last night, and our defense didn't show up. Ugh!
I think you are letting your anger blind you a bit. The Rams are very capable riding Gurley like a power back.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5485
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm

allday1991 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm
3 first round cbs and one 2 rounder says it all, that should be an elite core, and here we are comparing a high first round pick in his prime to a 30 year old cb. Someone brought up the fact he played better and he did, and yes sam shields is a better player. A undrafted f/a with 19 int compared to a high first round pick with 5. Sure Sam shields isnt the answer but your telling me thats the best we can do with our first round pick? My problem is everyone saying we have depth at cb. Depth of pure garbage and a waste of high picks
How is sam shields a better CB at this stage than Waynes. That argument doesn’t even make sense. No less you’re bringing up INTs? Well I would hope that a CB that started for years and is 30 has more INTs than a 26 year old CB. And no Sam Shields played no better than any other CB in that game. On both teams! Nobody played well. So idk why you’re comparing them

Last year, Waynes allowed a 21.8 Passer rating when thrown to in man coverage. That was #1 in the nfl in man coverage. He also was the #1 CB in the nfl when it came to run stops. And not just by a little bit. He had 11 stops on the year. Closest to him was 6.

He’s not comparable to shields. One bit. Shields hasn’t been on a team in practically two years. Get over Waynes rookie season. It’s done and over with. He’s much much better after he was given time. Those stats aren’t made up and they don’t lie. Number 1 in the nfl in two major categories. And has been fine all year outside of the rams.

Comparing Shields to Waynes is like comparing Keenum to Cousins. There is no comparison, there is no argument, the argument is dead
0 x
Image

User avatar
allday1991
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by allday1991 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm
How is sam shields a better CB at this stage than Waynes. That argument doesn’t even make sense. No less you’re bringing up INTs? Well I would hope that a CB that started for years and is 30 has more INTs than a 26 year old CB. And no Sam Shields played no better than any other CB in that game. On both teams! Nobody played well. So idk why you’re comparing them

Last year, Waynes allowed a 21.8 Passer rating when thrown to in man coverage. That was #1 in the nfl in man coverage. He also was the #1 CB in the nfl when it came to run stops. And not just by a little bit. He had 11 stops on the year. Closest to him was 6.

He’s not comparable to shields. One bit. Shields hasn’t been on a team in practically two years. Get over Waynes rookie season. It’s done and over with. He’s much much better after he was given time. Those stats aren’t made up and they don’t lie. Number 1 in the nfl in two major categories. And has been fine all year outside of the rams.

Comparing Shields to Waynes is like comparing Keenum to Cousins. There is no comparison, there is no argument, the argument is dead
Your right it is like comparing Keenum to Cousins. You said he hasnt been on a team in 2 years yet has 14 more interceptions? Thats a huge difference considering there is only a 4 year difference. Ill bet shields end with more ints than waynes by the time there careers are over. Stats from waynes season last year were he was number one in two categories means little to nothing cause as we've seen the defence was statically padded that year, i heard to many times last year from friends that our 3 down rate was so high mainly due to unforced errors by the opposing teams offence, seems to be right. Either way i down know or really care whos better between sheilds and waynes i just dont want to hear ppl saying we have depth at cb, because we dont, we have a group of high draft picks who play average to bad.
0 x
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:48 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm
How is sam shields a better CB at this stage than Waynes. That argument doesn’t even make sense. No less you’re bringing up INTs? Well I would hope that a CB that started for years and is 30 has more INTs than a 26 year old CB. And no Sam Shields played no better than any other CB in that game. On both teams! Nobody played well. So idk why you’re comparing them

Last year, Waynes allowed a 21.8 Passer rating when thrown to in man coverage. That was #1 in the nfl in man coverage. He also was the #1 CB in the nfl when it came to run stops. And not just by a little bit. He had 11 stops on the year. Closest to him was 6.

He’s not comparable to shields. One bit. Shields hasn’t been on a team in practically two years. Get over Waynes rookie season. It’s done and over with. He’s much much better after he was given time. Those stats aren’t made up and they don’t lie. Number 1 in the nfl in two major categories. And has been fine all year outside of the rams.

Comparing Shields to Waynes is like comparing Keenum to Cousins. There is no comparison, there is no argument, the argument is dead
Can you provide the link to the stat about Waynes being #1 in man coverage? I call ####.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5485
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm

allday1991 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 pm
Your right it is like comparing Keenum to Cousins. You said he hasnt been on a team in 2 years yet has 14 more interceptions? Thats a huge difference considering there is only a 4 year difference. Ill bet shields end with more ints than waynes by the time there careers are over. Stats from waynes season last year were he was number one in two categories means little to nothing cause as we've seen the defence was statically padded that year, i heard to many times last year from friends that our 3 down rate was so high mainly due to unforced errors by the opposing teams offence, seems to be right. Either way i down know or really care whos better between sheilds and waynes i just dont want to hear ppl saying we have depth at cb, because we dont, we have a group of high draft picks who play average to bad.
Again agree to disagree. You’re basing your argument off interceptions. Marcus peters is an interception monster but gets burnt more than 80% of the CBs in this league. Yeah it’s great getting interceptions but you’re also not helping the team by getting burnt. I remember specifically when he was embarrassed, badly, by Terrelle Pryor last year. The same terrelle Pryor that was a massive flop in Washington.

Just some quick stats for all the fans out there that think peters is a legit cb, he never shadowed #1 WRs last year for KC lining up on the left side 94% of the time. And the big ones, from 2015-2017, he has given up 2,077 yards. Nearly 300 more than any other starting CB. He’s given up the 2nd most pass interference yards with 166. He has given up 15 touchdowns, next closest being 11. But has 19 interceptions which ranks first in that time span.

Those stats right there show that interceptions aren’t everything. Especially for a CB like sam shields. Marcus peters isn’t nearly as good as people think. And to be honest, Waynes’ numbers aren’t ANYWHERE near peters in those categories. Especially now. And Waynes is a top 3 CB in the league when it comes to playing the run.

Waynes is much better than many think. His stats I provide alone trump many arguments you try to have regarding him. Rhodes was shutting down everyone that got near him last year (Antonio, Julio, Evans, etc) and had 2 ints on the year. Rhodes has 10 total in his career. And he’s 28. Which means chances are, he won’t catch shields in INTs by the time he’s 30. Does that means shields is better than Rhodes too?

Sorry dude but your argument is as weak as weak gets. And every stat I’ve provided proves that to be a fact. Many fans won’t let Waynes early career go. But he’s is much much better than what you’re leading on.

As for the depth, mike Hughes is in the 4th game of his rookie year. I’ll admit Alexander has been average at best but you gotta give Hughes a chance. When Waynes isn’t on the field, you can tell right now. Hughes will get there with time but Waynes is a very solid #2 CB. Guys are gonna get beat. Not everyone is a shut down CB. It’s gonna happen with Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, etc. but bottom line is, Waynes is a valuable part of this team and will continue to be. And no, sam shields is not comparable to him. Especially when you’re basing it off of two things: 1) the amount of interceptions shields has in his career and 2) comparing Waynes to CBs from the Vikings and rams in a game where they both gave up a combined 848 passing yards. Yes....848 total passing yards.

You don’t have much to stand on when you’re using those two things to try and prove sam shields is better than Trae Waynes. It’s not even worth discussing even though I just wasted my time looking up those numbers
0 x
Image

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7026
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm
Again agree to disagree. You’re basing your argument off interceptions. Marcus peters is an interception monster but gets burnt more than 80% of the CBs in this league. Yeah it’s great getting interceptions but you’re also not helping the team by getting burnt. I remember specifically when he was embarrassed, badly, by Terrelle Pryor last year. The same terrelle Pryor that was a massive flop in Washington.

Just some quick stats for all the fans out there that think peters is a legit cb, he never shadowed #1 WRs last year for KC lining up on the left side 94% of the time. And the big ones, from 2015-2017, he has given up 2,077 yards. Nearly 300 more than any other starting CB. He’s given up the 2nd most pass interference yards with 166. He has given up 15 touchdowns, next closest being 11. But has 19 interceptions which ranks first in that time span.

Those stats right there show that interceptions aren’t everything. Especially for a CB like sam shields. Marcus peters isn’t nearly as good as people think. And to be honest, Waynes’ numbers aren’t ANYWHERE near peters in those categories. Especially now. And Waynes is a top 3 CB in the league when it comes to playing the run.

Waynes is much better than many think. His stats I provide alone trump many arguments you try to have regarding him. Rhodes was shutting down everyone that got near him last year (Antonio, Julio, Evans, etc) and had 2 ints on the year. Rhodes has 10 total in his career. And he’s 28. Which means chances are, he won’t catch shields in INTs by the time he’s 30. Does that means shields is better than Rhodes too?

Sorry dude but your argument is as weak as weak gets. And every stat I’ve provided proves that to be a fact. Many fans won’t let Waynes early career go. But he’s is much much better than what you’re leading on.

As for the depth, mike Hughes is in the 4th game of his rookie year. I’ll admit Alexander has been average at best but you gotta give Hughes a chance. When Waynes isn’t on the field, you can tell right now. Hughes will get there with time but Waynes is a very solid #2 CB. Guys are gonna get beat. Not everyone is a shut down CB. It’s gonna happen with Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, etc. but bottom line is, Waynes is a valuable part of this team and will continue to be. And no, sam shields is not comparable to him. Especially when you’re basing it off of two things: 1) the amount of interceptions shields has in his career and 2) comparing Waynes to CBs from the Vikings and rams in a game where they both gave up a combined 848 passing yards. Yes....848 total passing yards.

You don’t have much to stand on when you’re using those two things to try and prove sam shields is better than Trae Waynes. It’s not even worth discussing even though I just wasted my time looking up those numbers
Thank you for putting some numbers to what I've been saying about Marcus Peters. Most replies to my comments that Peters is overrated are of the "you're nuts, he's a shutdown corner" variety.

Here's the other thing about Peters. He won't tackle. Conversely, Trae Waynes is one of the top tackling corners in the league, no matter who you ask or whatever source you cite.

Again, a playoff team in the Kansas City Chiefs was willing to get rid of Marcus Peters. Part of it is his cancerous locker-room presence. But part of it is also his all-or nothing playing style at corner. As you mention, Peters rarely lines up against the other team's best receiver, and we saw what happens Thursday when he does. The Rams couldn't hide him against Thielen and Diggs, and he got burned repeatedly. Couple that with his obligatory whiffs on tackles, and he played a pretty awful game against the Vikings.

I'd take Trae Waynes over Marcus Peters any day of the week. I just wish Waynes could stay on the field.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
allday1991
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by allday1991 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm
Again agree to disagree. You’re basing your argument off interceptions. Marcus peters is an interception monster but gets burnt more than 80% of the CBs in this league. Yeah it’s great getting interceptions but you’re also not helping the team by getting burnt. I remember specifically when he was embarrassed, badly, by Terrelle Pryor last year. The same terrelle Pryor that was a massive flop in Washington.

Just some quick stats for all the fans out there that think peters is a legit cb, he never shadowed #1 WRs last year for KC lining up on the left side 94% of the time. And the big ones, from 2015-2017, he has given up 2,077 yards. Nearly 300 more than any other starting CB. He’s given up the 2nd most pass interference yards with 166. He has given up 15 touchdowns, next closest being 11. But has 19 interceptions which ranks first in that time span.

Those stats right there show that interceptions aren’t everything. Especially for a CB like sam shields. Marcus peters isn’t nearly as good as people think. And to be honest, Waynes’ numbers aren’t ANYWHERE near peters in those categories. Especially now. And Waynes is a top 3 CB in the league when it comes to playing the run.

Waynes is much better than many think. His stats I provide alone trump many arguments you try to have regarding him. Rhodes was shutting down everyone that got near him last year (Antonio, Julio, Evans, etc) and had 2 ints on the year. Rhodes has 10 total in his career. And he’s 28. Which means chances are, he won’t catch shields in INTs by the time he’s 30. Does that means shields is better than Rhodes too?

Sorry dude but your argument is as weak as weak gets. And every stat I’ve provided proves that to be a fact. Many fans won’t let Waynes early career go. But he’s is much much better than what you’re leading on.

As for the depth, mike Hughes is in the 4th game of his rookie year. I’ll admit Alexander has been average at best but you gotta give Hughes a chance. When Waynes isn’t on the field, you can tell right now. Hughes will get there with time but Waynes is a very solid #2 CB. Guys are gonna get beat. Not everyone is a shut down CB. It’s gonna happen with Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, etc. but bottom line is, Waynes is a valuable part of this team and will continue to be. And no, sam shields is not comparable to him. Especially when you’re basing it off of two things: 1) the amount of interceptions shields has in his career and 2) comparing Waynes to CBs from the Vikings and rams in a game where they both gave up a combined 848 passing yards. Yes....848 total passing yards.

You don’t have much to stand on when you’re using those two things to try and prove sam shields is better than Trae Waynes. It’s not even worth discussing even though I just wasted my time looking up those numbers
I agree with most of that, and agree about peters play style being a negative for team, and as i said before i dont really know who is better between waynes and really think a person who has watched there whole career could make an arguement for either side. I disagree with alexander being average, hes been plain bad, and like you said hughes isnt a guy we can rely on yet so again my main point is for the amount of high picks i dont see the depth or return value of what we've invested in it. With 3 1st and 1 2nd i expect that position to be elite, and its average to good at best
0 x
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11411
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by S197 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 pm

I wonder if Waynes can play slot. He has the quickness and is solid in tackling. He's tall for a slot but otherwise seems like perhaps a position better suited for him.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:29 pm

S197 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 pm
I wonder if Waynes can play slot. He has the quickness and is solid in tackling. He's tall for a slot but otherwise seems like perhaps a position better suited for him.
He doesn't have quickness. He lacks quickness. He has deep speed but his ability to change directions and go is below average.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm not the biggest Petters fans but we are wearing purple sunglasses if we think Waynes is better than Peters. Anyone trying to convince you or themselves that Waynes is better is doing so because the Vikings selected the wrong CB on draft day and Speilman and company can do no wrong.

1. Peters in KC didn't have the defensive team around him that Waynes has. Vikings has better pass rushers, opposite CBs and the ability to stop the run with their DL. Waynes just needs to be average to appear above average.

2. Peters is a playmaker. Not only does he take the ball away, but he also has the ability to score with it. He has 3 Ints returned for TDs in his career and 5 Force Fumbles. Waynes has 0 FF, 0 Recvories.

3. Peters had more Passes Defensed in his rookie year than Waynes has in his entire career. PD is the true ranking of how good a CB is. CBs get beat all the time. PPF and other sites guess as to who is responsible based on what they think the scheme is but they do not truly know about checks at the line and hand signals that switch coverages. Pass Defenses shows us how profient a CB is in coverage, their ability at reading routes and breaking on the ball, and their propensity at disrupting the offense. Ints are nice but PDs show where the talent is. Waynes has 28. Peters has 56.

4. Waynes has been privy to playings under a great defensive coach and supposedly a great DB mentor. Peters played for Reid most of his career.

5. Peters was traded for a 2nd rounder. What do you think Waynes would fetch on the open market right now? I would like to know your estimate. I would say a 5th at best.

We really need to stop trying to project guys into roles they are not ready for. Our staff would take Peters at Waynes salary twice on Sundays. He's a game-changer at the position and with our (once) great defense and coaching from Zimm, he could be even better than before. Waynes is solid at best. We're talking Lambos vs. Camarys here.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5485
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:54 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 pm
I'm not the biggest Petters fans but we are wearing purple sunglasses if we think Waynes is better than Peters. Anyone trying to convince you or themselves that Waynes is better is doing so because the Vikings selected the wrong CB on draft day and Speilman and company can do no wrong.

1. Peters in KC didn't have the defensive team around him that Waynes has. Vikings has better pass rushers, opposite CBs and the ability to stop the run with their DL. Waynes just needs to be average to appear above average.

2. Peters is a playmaker. Not only does he take the ball away, but he also has the ability to score with it. He has 3 Ints returned for TDs in his career and 5 Force Fumbles. Waynes has 0 FF, 0 Recvories.

3. Peters had more Passes Defensed in his rookie year than Waynes has in his entire career. PD is the true ranking of how good a CB is. CBs get beat all the time. PPF and other sites guess as to who is responsible based on what they think the scheme is but they do not truly know about checks at the line and hand signals that switch coverages. Pass Defenses shows us how profient a CB is in coverage, their ability at reading routes and breaking on the ball, and their propensity at disrupting the offense. Ints are nice but PDs show where the talent is. Waynes has 28. Peters has 56.

4. Waynes has been privy to playings under a great defensive coach and supposedly a great DB mentor. Peters played for Reid most of his career.

5. Peters was traded for a 2nd rounder. What do you think Waynes would fetch on the open market right now? I would like to know your estimate. I would say a 5th at best.

We really need to stop trying to project guys into roles they are not ready for. Our staff would take Peters at Waynes salary twice on Sundays. He's a game-changer at the position and with our (once) great defense and coaching from Zimm, he could be even better than before. Waynes is solid at best. We're talking Lambos vs. Camarys here.
Nobody is wearing purple sunglasses here. Look at the numbers I posted. He's MORE than getting beat. He's not just a typical corner that gets beat here and there. It's constant. He's given up over 2,000 yards since his rookie year. 300 more than any other CB in that span!!! Also has given up 15 TDs which is more than anyone in that span. You can have all the INTs in the world but if you are also giving up that many yards and TDs, you arent helping your team nearly as much as what your numbers show. He is also a problem on and off the field. And I can guarantee thats a big reason why Spielman and Zim passed on him. Nobody is saying Spielman can do no wrong. I still take Waynes right now over Peters. I wouldnt say that in his rookie year but right NOW, I take Waynes.

Waynes does have great players around him but it's not like Peters is left out on an island on his own. He's not even shadowing #1 WRs. Teams were literally lining up their #1's on the opposite side of Peters to exploit KCs defense. And he wasnt following them. That's not a shut down CB. Far from it. Guys like Rhodes, Revis, etc. followed those guys EVERYWHERE. He's not doing it at all unless teams are lining up their #1s on that side. Peters now plays for the Rams who have just as much defensive talent as we do and.....he's still getting burnt.

No doubt Peters is a play maker but he also puts his team in very bad situations because he's always gambling. Like I said, he got embarrassed by Terrelle Pryor last year. Basically every time Cousins has faced him he's embarrassed him. As for the forced fumbles, 4 of his 5 were last year. It's not like that was a consistent thing year after year.

Also, my prediction, not a chance Waynes goes for a 5th rounder. He's a #2 CB that would be a #1 on about half the teams in this league. No less he's arguably one of the best tackling CBs in the league. He would fetch at least a 3rd.

Listen, I was just as frustrated as everyone else during his rookie year. But year after year, he's improved and it shows in the numbers. Peters is getting a million INTs but also getting burned more often than not. Think about it, he's almost given up as many TDs as he has INTs. Which obviously cancel each other out. So in his career he's +4 essentially in the turnover/TD given up margin. It's almost to the point where every INT he gets, he gives up a TD. That's NOT good. Think about top CBs like Rhodes, Ramsey, Buoye, etc. They dont have numbers ANYWHERE NEAR that. Not even close.

In the end, I take a guy that is a top tackler in the league, can play solid coverage defensively without routinely being beat, without the gaudy INT numbers and isnt a head case on and off the field

OVER

.....a guy that is giving up nearly a 1:1 TD:INT ratio, doesnt tackle, gives up more yards than any CB in the NFL from 2015-2017 and is a head case on and off the field to the point we end up having to trade him.

It's an easy decision.
0 x
Image

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by YikesVikes » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:54 am

It's an easy decision.
I'm not saying you aren't raising clear issues in Peters game. You are. He isn't a willing tackler. He is good at it but I have seen some horrible attempts by him to tackle. However, he is a better cover guy than Waynes. He attacks the ball better, he breaks up more passes and takes the ball away more. You argument about him not shadowing is a poor one. That's not indicative of a shutdown corner. Not every scheme allows for that. Richard Sherman was a shutdown corner but didn't travel. There are plenty of reasons why a CB might not travel that has nothing to do with ability.

1. DC doesn't like to tip hand in coverage.
2. DC doesn't want OCs getting an advantage by knowing that his best CB will always move when the OC wants to put him.
3. The other CB might be serviceable on their side but awful on the next side. Moving your RCB creates a bigger liability with the LCB
4. Moving your CB requires the rest of your defense to know what they are doing regardless of where the defense puts puts your CB (i.e. moving him to the slot, means that a Safety might now have deep third responsibility instead.

Also you ignored passes defensed. As I said, this is what you should look to to see how good a cb is. He had 29 in his rookie season and Waynes has 28 for a career. It's not close. Bat downs on 2nd and 3rd down impacts a game just as much as a tackle at the LOS. Then you have the FF and FR and the difference between the two continues to grow.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5485
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: A Quick Comment on Tre Waynes

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 pm
I'm not saying you aren't raising clear issues in Peters game. You are. He isn't a willing tackler. He is good at it but I have seen some horrible attempts by him to tackle. However, he is a better cover guy than Waynes. He attacks the ball better, he breaks up more passes and takes the ball away more. You argument about him not shadowing is a poor one. That's not indicative of a shutdown corner. Not every scheme allows for that. Richard Sherman was a shutdown corner but didn't travel. There are plenty of reasons why a CB might not travel that has nothing to do with ability.

1. DC doesn't like to tip hand in coverage.
2. DC doesn't want OCs getting an advantage by knowing that his best CB will always move when the OC wants to put him.
3. The other CB might be serviceable on their side but awful on the next side. Moving your RCB creates a bigger liability with the LCB
4. Moving your CB requires the rest of your defense to know what they are doing regardless of where the defense puts puts your CB (i.e. moving him to the slot, means that a Safety might now have deep third responsibility instead.

Also you ignored passes defensed. As I said, this is what you should look to to see how good a cb is. He had 29 in his rookie season and Waynes has 28 for a career. It's not close. Bat downs on 2nd and 3rd down impacts a game just as much as a tackle at the LOS. Then you have the FF and FR and the difference between the two continues to grow.
I understand where you're coming from but as good as the numbers show the coverage is, behind closed doors, it's very, very average. All the positives in coverage that he has, is getting cancelled out by the amount of negatives in coverage that he has.

Whether he travels or not, point is, he's not a shutdown CB. Not even close. He wouldnt be continuing to get thrown at so often, no less giving up the most yards in the NFL of any CB since 2015. He's been figured out by opposing teams. Quite easily. Teams werent even throwing Rhodes way last year because of how he was playing....and he was guarding EVERY #1 WR. No less that also put more pressure on Waynes, who definitely held his end of the bargain. Peters is his teams "#1" CB, and QBs are shredding him. And he's not even going against #1 WRs most of the time!!! Thats my whole point. He isnt shadowing #1's. Which in turn means, he's drawing #2 and #3 WRs more often. And STILL giving up over 2,000 yards and 15 TDs in 3 seasons.

There is no doubting his playmaking ability. But IMO, all it does is cover up all of his weaknesses on a stat sheet. That's like being really good at your job, but showing up 4 hours late to work every day. Like....you're awesome at what you do....but you're not. No less you're a head case. Not really the guy I want on this team. Spielman has done plenty wrong just like any other GM but I'm glad he took Waynes over Peters. I would do the same
0 x
Image

Post Reply