1/4 Season Report Card

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

1/4 Season Report Card

Post by mansquatch »

So where are we today after an, ahem, eventful September?

After a mostly OK win vs. SF, we're been on a streak of 3 consecutive disasters in all three phases of the game. In GB we had a complete ST meltdown. At home vs. the Bills it was the offense that went pear shaped. Finally, last night the Defense had a comeuppance that really has been overdue since the 2nd half of the Minneapolis Miracle.

ST: Well, the kicker has been sacked and so far Dan Bailey has proved that he can make a kick and extra points. Sadly, that is better than the guy he replaced. But can he make clutch kicks or from distance? We do not yet unknown. Call this one slightly better, but mostly incomplete. I said before I got why they wanted to move on from Forbath, but in retrospect, I've changed my mind. Forbath was solid on field goals, including clutch kicks. The extra point think was annoying, but as of today I'm not sure how anyone can say this situation is BETTER than it was last year. Also, Ryan Longwell made some telling points a few weeks ago after the GB mess. This coaching staff has had kicking issues since really 2013. What is up with that? The punt protection is also looking shaky, but part of that might be the long snapper injury.

Offense. Who would have thought that at this stage they would be the best looking unit? But here we are. Yesterday and in GB the Offense showed that it is a force to be reckoned with. Last night DeFelippo looked like he finally had his legs under him and called a solid game. I hope these trends can continue. Obvious concerns are the injury situation for the OL and Cousins' fumblitus. However, I thought the OL played a really great game against great DL last night. Donald and Suh were going to make plays, but they were not allowed to dominate the game. The skill positions look awesome. Even poor old Treadwell elevated his game and made clutch plays that he was screwing up two weeks ago.

And at least we get to the Defense. OMG WTF?!?!?!?! I think EG's issues date back to last December. Barring the first half of the playoff game against NO, our pass rush looked tired late last year. This year it has been OK. If you may recall last season at the start it was FEARSOME. Yesterday it completely lacked bite. We were not getting to Goff with any consistency. It was BAD. But what was worse? Coverage. OMG.

I will say this for Barr. I think on the play where he got burned by Cupp for the long TD, that was either on the coaching staff for calling a really bad scheme or on Alexander for busted coverage. When you watch the replay, Alexander doesn't follow Cupp and instead doubles up some other guy where there is also safety help over top. I strongly doubt they'd put Barr on Cupp like that and then triple cover some nobody. If they did, they really are trying to make Barr look bad because that matchup isn't fair at all. Overall the Slot CB play was hideous. Of course the outside guys were not much better either. Massive F for this unit. Hopefully the next 10 days of what i suspect is a HOT Zimmer will beat this group into line. They need it.

I'd voiced concerns about their play since the SF game. IMO, buffalo was a bit of a mirage given the turnovers by the offense, but this time there is no hiding it. They made Goff look like Dan Marino. Lots of work to do.

I'm not sure where we end up. September is always a weird month. But they need to get A LOT better.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 1/4 Season Report Card

Post by fiestavike »

I think 'John D. Fillipo' becomes head coach before the season is out due to health, firing, or some combination with Zimmer. They aren't going to want to see him leave the building and this D is not going to get it turned around this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

This feels like a 1 and done playoff team. Not really sure how to rebuild a team that extended so many contracts already. The NFC Championship game last year was probably the best this team will ever get.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am I think 'John D. Fillipo' becomes head coach before the season is out due to health, firing, or some combination with Zimmer. They aren't going to want to see him leave the building and this D is not going to get it turned around this year.
For whatever it's worth this time last year the Vikings had gotten whipped 26-9 by the Steelers and dropped one to the Lions. I know technically the Vikings have a 1-2-1 record but I can easily see that as a 2-2 team right now. If they could turn it around last year they can this year too.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

mansquatch wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am So where are we today after an, ahem, eventful September?

After a mostly OK win vs. SF, we're been on a streak of 3 consecutive disasters in all three phases of the game. In GB we had a complete ST meltdown. At home vs. the Bills it was the offense that went pear shaped. Finally, last night the Defense had a comeuppance that really has been overdue since the 2nd half of the Minneapolis Miracle.

ST: Well, the kicker has been sacked and so far Dan Bailey has proved that he can make a kick and extra points. Sadly, that is better than the guy he replaced. But can he make clutch kicks or from distance? We do not yet unknown. Call this one slightly better, but mostly incomplete. I said before I got why they wanted to move on from Forbath, but in retrospect, I've changed my mind. Forbath was solid on field goals, including clutch kicks. The extra point think was annoying, but as of today I'm not sure how anyone can say this situation is BETTER than it was last year. Also, Ryan Longwell made some telling points a few weeks ago after the GB mess. This coaching staff has had kicking issues since really 2013. What is up with that? The punt protection is also looking shaky, but part of that might be the long snapper injury.

Offense. Who would have thought that at this stage they would be the best looking unit? But here we are. Yesterday and in GB the Offense showed that it is a force to be reckoned with. Last night DeFelippo looked like he finally had his legs under him and called a solid game. I hope these trends can continue. Obvious concerns are the injury situation for the OL and Cousins' fumblitus. However, I thought the OL played a really great game against great DL last night. Donald and Suh were going to make plays, but they were not allowed to dominate the game. The skill positions look awesome. Even poor old Treadwell elevated his game and made clutch plays that he was screwing up two weeks ago.

And at least we get to the Defense. OMG WTF?!?!?!?! I think EG's issues date back to last December. Barring the first half of the playoff game against NO, our pass rush looked tired late last year. This year it has been OK. If you may recall last season at the start it was FEARSOME. Yesterday it completely lacked bite. We were not getting to Goff with any consistency. It was BAD. But what was worse? Coverage. OMG.

I will say this for Barr. I think on the play where he got burned by Cupp for the long TD, that was either on the coaching staff for calling a really bad scheme or on Alexander for busted coverage. When you watch the replay, Alexander doesn't follow Cupp and instead doubles up some other guy where there is also safety help over top. I strongly doubt they'd put Barr on Cupp like that and then triple cover some nobody. If they did, they really are trying to make Barr look bad because that matchup isn't fair at all. Overall the Slot CB play was hideous. Of course the outside guys were not much better either. Massive F for this unit. Hopefully the next 10 days of what i suspect is a HOT Zimmer will beat this group into line. They need it.

I'd voiced concerns about their play since the SF game. IMO, buffalo was a bit of a mirage given the turnovers by the offense, but this time there is no hiding it. They made Goff look like Dan Marino. Lots of work to do.

I'm not sure where we end up. September is always a weird month. But they need to get A LOT better.
Where is this critique of our dominant run game with Cook averaging 2.7 ypc and 96 rushing yards on the year? Lol everyone not noticing that cause cousins can throw? Lol
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

When you are in a shoot out you pass. Sorry, but that is the case. Also, I was quite pleased with the running attack yesterday, so that is why they were spared my ire. I do not feel that in-effectiveness on offense lead to a sub 100 yard rushing day so much as the fact that the defense wasn't stopping anybody and the passing game was working. I've said several times this season that I wasn't sold on DeFellipo as OC. Yesterday he showed growth and called the kind of game I wanted to see called. I really can't be upset at the offense, they are the one unit that is showing improvement and strong improvement at that.

Put it another way: Do you think we lost yesterday because we didn't rush for more yards or because the defense gave up 38 points? My sense is this really doesn't require elaboration.

I think the D can climb the mountain. As I said the other day in a different post, these guys have played at a much higher level before. Less than a year ago. I can believe that maybe some of them are hurt but beyond that this is all mental stuff. This unit is overall young and should be playing in it's prime. They haven't lost a step, they've lost their collective edge. That is fixable. What irks me is why did we even end up here? What is up with that?

If I were to point one finger at the Vikings for this season so far, it would be at Zimmer and the coaching staff and I've been a big proponent of theirs for awhile now. This season, so far, is on them. This team isn't just not playing at a peak level, it is playing beneath itself for this stage in the season. That needs to change or this season will be a major lost opportunity.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StpViking wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 am This feels like a 1 and done playoff team. Not really sure how to rebuild a team that extended so many contracts already. The NFC Championship game last year was probably the best this team will ever get.
Dont really see the logic behind that. We're playing a first place schedule and are in week 4. Did this team look any good week 4 last season...just curious
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:58 am When you are in a shoot out you pass. Sorry, but that is the case. Also, I was quite pleased with the running attack yesterday, so that is why they were spared my ire. I do not feel that in-effectiveness on offense lead to a sub 100 yard rushing day so much as the fact that the defense wasn't stopping anybody and the passing game was working. I've said several times this season that I wasn't sold on DeFellipo as OC. Yesterday he showed growth and called the kind of game I wanted to see called. I really can't be upset at the offense, they are the one unit that is showing improvement and strong improvement at that.

Put it another way: Do you think we lost yesterday because we didn't rush for more yards or because the defense gave up 38 points? My sense is this really doesn't require elaboration.

I think the D can climb the mountain. As I said the other day in a different post, these guys have played at a much higher level before. Less than a year ago. I can believe that maybe some of them are hurt but beyond that this is all mental stuff. This unit is overall young and should be playing in it's prime. They haven't lost a step, they've lost their collective edge. That is fixable. What irks me is why did we even end up here? What is up with that?

If I were to point one finger at the Vikings for this season so far, it would be at Zimmer and the coaching staff and I've been a big proponent of theirs for awhile now. This season, so far, is on them. This team isn't just not playing at a peak level, it is playing beneath itself for this stage in the season. That needs to change or this season will be a major lost opportunity.
Exactly what I said in the post game thread. It really bothers me when guys just look at the final box score and say yeah our running game isnt good. We've barely ran the ball in 3 weeks because we've been down by two scores every single one of those games. Are we the only ones that see that? I just dont understand it. You cant say our running game isnt good when we dont run the ball. If anyone thinks Dalvin is suppose to go over 100 on 10 carries then you're dreaming. All RBs need volume. He's not getting it (or Murray for that matter). Flip hasnt put us in great position to run regardless (lot of first down runs) but still. You cant really run the ball when you're down 17-0
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

allday1991 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 am Where is this critique of our dominant run game with Cook averaging 2.7 ypc and 96 rushing yards on the year? Lol everyone not noticing that cause cousins can throw? Lol
I look more at YPC than anything and 2.7 is alarming despite being behind in most games.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:44 am Dont really see the logic behind that. We're playing a first place schedule and are in week 4. Did this team look any good week 4 last season...just curious
This team relies on its defense. Even at its worst last year, they could always stop the run. I don't get any sense of that this year. This years version seems to also miss open field tackles at an alarming rate.

Above all its just a gut feeling from a long time Vikings fan that I've seen this before. MANY MANY TIMES.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:44 am We're playing a first place schedule
I've seen this posted many times on the board. But here's the thing, the difference between a "first place schedule" and a "last place schedule" are two games. Thats all. Two games.

The Bills whipping up on the Vikings last week, had nothing to do with being a "first place schedule" all four NFC North teams get to play them. The Rams putting up 38 points last night? Nothing to do with a "first place schedule", all four NFC North teams will play the Rams. The only two games that are from the "first place schedule" are @ Eagles next week and vs Saints in week 8. So when the Vikings lose those games, then sure, blame the "first place schedule". Until then, all the other piss poor performances are not due to the "first place schedule".
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

You guys are arguing semantics.

The Offense is on a franchise record setting pace. Are there issues there? Sure.

But... Does ANYONE think the major issue (right now) is that the defense has taken a major step backwards from 2017? The biggest question going into the next 4 games is: Can they right the ship?

Past that the rest of it is really secondary. If Cook starts putting up 150 yards a game and they keep giving up 550 yards of offense, guess what, we'll probably be 2-5-1 when I make the 1/2 way thread.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StpViking wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:13 pm This team relies on its defense. Even at its worst last year, they could always stop the run. I don't get any sense of that this year. This years version seems to also miss open field tackles at an alarming rate.

Above all its just a gut feeling from a long time Vikings fan that I've seen this before. MANY MANY TIMES.
I think after seeing last nights game, this team no longer needs to always rely on its defense. This offense is legit. This isnt the days of Teddy/Bradford/Case. Cousins can carry an offense with what is around him. It's a different way of looking at it thats all. Yeah we did rely on our D last year. But at the same time, Case wasnt lighting the world on fire. He was doing what he needed to to win. If the D plays even average against Philly and the offense looked the way they did last night, the game is in the bag. Yeah we want a good defense and I think Zim will get it fixed anyways but this team can very much rely on its offense right now.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

akvikingsfan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:16 pm I've seen this posted many times on the board. But here's the thing, the difference between a "first place schedule" and a "last place schedule" are two games. Thats all. Two games.

The Bills whipping up on the Vikings last week, had nothing to do with being a "first place schedule" all four NFC North teams get to play them. The Rams putting up 38 points last night? Nothing to do with a "first place schedule", all four NFC North teams will play the Rams. The only two games that are from the "first place schedule" are @ Eagles next week and vs Saints in week 8. So when the Vikings lose those games, then sure, blame the "first place schedule". Until then, all the other piss poor performances are not due to the "first place schedule".
Regardless of what teams we cross over with, it's still a first place schedule. And yeah if we werent playing the Rams division this year, we would still be playing them because of the first place schedule. Either way, no matter what, we have to play every top team in the NFC. It's not like anyone in our division is drastically outperforming us and beating the Rams. It does make our overall schedule that much harder and we've already played one first place team.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:48 am Exactly what I said in the post game thread. It really bothers me when guys just look at the final box score and say yeah our running game isnt good. We've barely ran the ball in 3 weeks because we've been down by two scores every single one of those games. Are we the only ones that see that? I just dont understand it. You cant say our running game isnt good when we dont run the ball. If anyone thinks Dalvin is suppose to go over 100 on 10 carries then you're dreaming. All RBs need volume. He's not getting it (or Murray for that matter). Flip hasnt put us in great position to run regardless (lot of first down runs) but still. You cant really run the ball when you're down 17-0
I've watched everygame this year and only looked at the score box for refence, i knew long before checking it sucked. We dont have lots of rushing attemps because we often lose yards on first down runs and yes it is often. So kinda hard to run a bunch when your always 2 and 12. 2.7 yards per carry, per carry, im going to assume given an extra 5-7 touches hes not going to raise that by a yard in a half, infact most runners gel a whole game and your stuff, stuff feast was really only done by a.p. so im not getting that we dont hand it off enough arguement, do more with the ball and you will get more touches. Our oline is just as bad at run blocking as pass protect, so many times the runner is making people miss or getting contacted before the los. The one game when our rb looked like he wpuld close out a game for us he fumbled on his best run of the season so far against the 49ers. So regardless of boxscore, just having two eyes if your not concerned by this defence oline and running i just dont get it. Cook has showed very little to be considered anything, has had wuite a few injuries already and has a horrible line? But your not worried, you dont get why other fans are worried? :thumbsup:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson