Rams Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Rams Postgame Thread

Post by S197 »

Glad the offense fought to the end. I don't know what to say other than the obvious, which is teams have figured out Zimmers D and huge adjustments need to be made. Glad it's a long week before Philly.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Rams Postgame Thread

Post by FullWood »

Good game for a football fan. Maybe not for a Vikings fan but im ok because I wasn't expecting a victory. But it was close and I feel a little better about it. At least we score more points then we did 4 days ago, that's a bright side to consider.

Another thing I like the throwback jersey for the rams just like old times but the stadium smh wish they were still in a dome but its LA. They don't need a dome.
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Well, the team surpassed my expectations and to top it off it was a very fun game. I think this season, if we have any chance at it, will be about sneaking into the playoffs and getting hot at the right time with a loaded roster. Like the year GB won it all with Rodgers and were a wild card team. We very well could be 1-3-1 next week, but the schedule gets easier from there.
Thor88
Practice Squad

Post by Thor88 »

can anyone explain why the Vikings defense has gone from like first to worst. is it teams figured out how to attack it or just the players not playing up to their potential?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:53 pm Well, the team surpassed my expectations and to top it off it was a very fun game. I think this season, if we have any chance at it, will be about sneaking into the playoffs and getting hot at the right time with a loaded roster. Like the year GB won it all with Rodgers and were a wild card team. We very well could be 1-3-1 next week, but the schedule gets easier from there.
Yeah the schedule looks better after next week. Cousins is usually pretty good against Philly and knows them very well. Overall, I’m not worried about this team. One of two things were gonna happen tonight: it would be a shootout or it would be a battle of defenses. Guys want to say that our defense is “terrible” but does that mean the rams defense is terrible too? And I don’t wanna hear the CB excuse. We were down to two rookies at one point and were missing a top 3 pass rusher in the nfl.

Some things that frustrated me:

-Anthony Barr. Everyone knows me as one to stay fairly positive when it comes to this team and I defend a lot regarding them but I’m truly done with Barr. He can’t tackle, he can’t cover and he’s lazy. This organization made the right call not paying him (so far). We definitely gave the money to the right players and I’d rather give any money we have left to Richardson.

-lack of adjustments. I think zim usually does a solid job here but how many times do we let Barr get roasted before we do something about it. I’m not big on Kearse in the slot but he played well when he came in. We need to use Iloka. Get Barr off on passing downs.

-the refs. Two huge blown calls with Thielen not being touched and the block in the back call. I wish I heard the conversation between the refs with that call. What warranted that flag getting picked up? If it’s not a block in the back what do they say about it? It was a block in the front? It was clear as day.

-Treadwell. I said I gave up on him after the GB game. Which i still have. But at the same time he has come up with some big catches at times.

-running game. I can’t blame cook or Murray. Flip is not setting them up well at all. Lot of first down runs right up the middle. The only game we’ve consistently ran the ball was SF because we got a lead. It hasn’t happened since. It needs to get figured out.

As for the OL, I thought they played exceptional until the end. Cousins wasn’t getting touched for a while. START O’NEILL!! Holy crap. Idk if the guy has given up a single pressure in two games but we keep resorting to hill and Reiff (played better tonight) but is worrying me this year. I think O’Neill needs to go to LT and put Reiff at right.

Some things I loved:

-kirk cousins. I don’t want to hear the Keenum garbage because it’s not even an argument. This guy is the real deal. He shredded this team. Keenum also played a 3rd place schedule last year. We have 2 wins right now if it wasn’t for Carlson. Keenum had one at this point last year. It’s not an argument, they aren’t comparable, the consistency with Keenum year after year was a giant question mark and it shows given he’s not playing good in Denver at all.

-WRs. Diggs and Theilen are dominant. Period.

Overall, this defense is good. I don’t care what anyone thinks to be honest. The defense was not at fault vs buffalo as much as people think. They were put in awful positions. We played the #1 offense in football tonight. Yeah they need to play better than they did but not having the pass rush with griff and losing CBs, it hurts. They are going to keep us in games. Philly does not look that great this year. I see us beating them. Good news is, GB isn’t playing good either. I’m not worried about playoffs or anything right now. I still see us winning this division and making a good run. Nobody has touched the rams this year and we were that close. We can beat that team. I truly believe it.

I know it’s tough right now, guys are overreacting but this is a good team. Everyone on here said we were toast when we had to resort to Keenum last year, we were 2-2 and then rattled off wins non-stop. Outside of the rams right now, nobody in he NFC is impressing me right now. And they are all beatable. We gotta just take it game by game and keep pushing through. We really need griff back I hope he can figure this out soon.

Skol
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Thor88 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:00 pm can anyone explain why the Vikings defense has gone from like first to worst. is it teams figured out how to attack it or just the players not playing up to their potential?
Well for starters no way in :evil: should Barr ever be asked to cover a WR. I don't know why it has fallen apart so fast? Rule changes haven't helped. Losing Griffen hasn't helped. Zimmer better get it fixed or he's going to be on the hot seat real fast.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Thor88 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:00 pm can anyone explain why the Vikings defense has gone from like first to worst. is it teams figured out how to attack it or just the players not playing up to their potential?
We are nowhere near the worst. Prior to this game we were 10th in total D. 9th vs the pass and 14th vs the run. And part of that stat is based on points which dinged us agaisnt buffalo where, in all honesty, wasn’t on the D. They got pinned inside the 25 twice because of Reiff. Penalties need to stop and Rhodes had one of the dumbest ones but overall, the numbers don’t lie. We played the #1 offense in football tonight. It’s not like we gave up 38 to the browns. The rams D is one of the best in the nfl by far and they got shredded tonight. Does that mean their D is the worst too? No. The rams D and the Vikings D are going to win them games. They are too talented not to.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

The fact that Barr was covering receivers during 3 TDs tonight, leads me to believe that they (and others) have figured out a way to beat our scheme.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

On one hand, I'm actually happy they came out and looked much much better on offense and like a team that compete, but on the other hand, I'm very much pissed at this defense, most notably Barr and the DB's. They sucked.
Last edited by PacificNorseWest on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:36 pm The fact that Barr was covering receivers during 3 TDs tonight, leads me to believe that they (and others) have figured out a way to beat our scheme.

This has been evident since the NFCCG game, bruh. They never got it fixed. They just got lucky against SF, but we saw all those blown assignments on the TE and such.

Zimmer is getting schooled. The book is out.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:40 pm This has been evident since the NFCCG game, bruh. They never got it fixed. They just got lucky against SF, but we saw all those blown assignments on the TE and such.

Zimmer is getting schooled. The book is out.
How is getting 3 ints on Garoppolo, forcing a fumble on a goal line stand and getting a pick 6 getting “lucky”.

Or holding the almighty Aaron Rodgers to 1 TD at Home?

They didn’t play good tonight no doubt. Not giving excuses but this was the best offense in the nfl. No less missing one of the leagues best pass rushers doesn’t help. And neither did losing Waynes as much as guys will argue that. Outside of the td thrown to kupp in the corner, Waynes didn’t give up much. The long TD to cooks his hand was right on his chest. Even the announcers said it was great D. It was a better thrown ball and catch than anything. Not having a pass rush is forcing this D to cover more often and longer. Weatherly and Bower are decent depth guys but they are nowhere near griff. These guys can’t cover forever.

I’m more ticked at Rhodes than Waynes. Mainly because of that penalty.

Side note: once again, Kirk cousins gets overshadowed. This game and the GB game (given we had Rodgers shut down but he had a boo boo knee so the media flocked to him). Tonight and in the GB game were two of the best quarterback performances I have seen in a long time out of a Vikings QB. And he went toe to toe on the ROAD, and kept us in these games. And should’ve had the game won vs gb if Carlson wasn’t a bum
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 pm How is getting 3 ints on Garoppolo, forcing a fumble on a goal line stand and getting a pick 6 getting “lucky”.

Or holding the almighty Aaron Rodgers to 1 TD at Home?
That wide open TD that was dropped by Kittle? That couldn't have changed the game? The game was close mostly throughout. Minnesota had multiple blown assignments and played conservative on offense to close it out.

And if you seriously think that the game against GB easily could not have resulted in a loss after giving up 29 points, you're nuts.

You try too hard sometimes. Vikings will get this corrected, I believe, but they have not looked good at all on defense. I'm not sure what you're watching. Vikings give up tons and tons of big plays. That's factual. But go 'head and sugarcoat that...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:54 pm That wide open TD that was dropped by Kittle? That couldn't have changed the game? The game was close mostly throughout. Minnesota had multiple blown assignments and play conservative on offense to close it out.

And if you seriously think that the game against GB easily could not have resulted in a loss after giving up 29 points, you're nuts.

You try too hard sometimes. Vikings will get this corrected, I believe, but they have not looked good at all on defense. I'm not sure what you're watching. Vikings give up tons and tons of big plays. That's factual. But go 'head and sugarcoat that...
Again, the numbers don’t lie. You want to question the kittle drop but you fail to mention them getting pinned inside the 25 on back to back drives against buffalo. If Reiff doesn’t get smoked twice you don’t think that changes the game? I’m not trying too hard. But bottom line is, it goes both ways. Everyone is honed in on points given up. The defense did NOT give up 29 points vs GB. Special teams scored their first TD. We also shut down Rodgers inside the 50 allowing 1 td. On how many drives? A lot. We gave up well under 100 (non-penalty) yards vs buffalo after we went down 17-0. Down 17-0 and gave up less than 100 yards on defense. That’s unheard of. The long TD to kupp alone was more than what we gave up to buffalo when we went down 17-0. But like I said, everyone looks at points. Not the situations or true numbers. I said they need to play better. That’s obvious, but they are nowhere near the worst. Not even remotely close. Especially with griff on the field.

I always say, I look into the “WHY” something is happening or not going our way in these situations. Points given up do not always tell you how well our d is playing. This is the 2nd straight game we’re plugging in a fringe practice squad player for a pro bowl DE. That drastically effects a lot of things.

By no means am I trying to make excuses for his defense. They need to play better. Period. But when guys say we’re the worst defense or this defense is terrible, it’s just simply not true. A defense that’s 10th in total defense can’t possibly be terrible or the worst. They can play bad yeah. But they are up in the top 10 for a reason. Again, the numbers don’t lie
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

One thing is for sure...the Vikings offense is top tier. Wildy good. And even though Bailey gave me a scare, it looks like for now, that should not be an issue.
C
Thankfully, what looked like the strongest division in the NFL, suddenly looks pretty weak and the Vikings can win it...I feel very much like this is a team that turns it on late, so even a WC will suffice. I'm confident in them going forward, but it sucks to go through.

I really hope they beat Philly. They always get played tough by them and mostly lose. Need to change that with the quickness. And weirdly enough, I'm actually happy it's in Philly this time for the 3rd straight meeting. The need that grass to slow things down. Cousins should cook, so they should be able to get after Wentz and force mistakes.