Vikings @ Rams Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Vikings @ Rams Pregame Thread

Post by Cliff »

Thursday we find out if the team has the mental toughness to keep going despite the issues surrounding Griffen as well as the blowout loss.

I don't think the impact on the problems Griffen is having can be overstated. He's one of the team's captains, best players, and main leaders. The incident at the hotel happened the night before the Bills game which I certainly think contributed to the blowout.

Not only that, but he was on the edge of being removed by the team prior to the Bills game. Yelling, being paranoid, and repeating himself during practices.

It's super tough to know what this team really is - especially the defense - considering what's been going on behind the scenes.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 am Sorry mansquatch but I disagree. Is it a little worse than last year? Yeah. You cant expect to match last years numbers. No less, we're now playing a first place schedule. Given last year we were playing a 3rd place schedule (minus Aaron Rodgers in the division). I feel like every fan out there right now is driven one thing with this defense: points given up. If you look at each game and the situations we were in, the D has looked pretty darn good if you ask me.

SF- Didnt score a TD until the 3rd quarter. Turned Jimmy G over 3 times and forced 1 fumble on a goal line stand.

GB- Got 29 points put up on us yet we held Aaron Rodgers to 1 TD. No less he didnt throw for over 200 until halfway through the 4th. One TD was also scored off a blocked punt (nothing to do with our D). Also, on a few of their drives where they kicked FGs, penalties walked them down the field. Yes, that's on the defense but not from a playing point of view.

BUF- got 27 put up on us. First drive of the game we force a 3 and out and Linval goes helmet to helmet with Allen on the sack. So there is 15 yards. Barr gets a face mask, there is 15 more yards. 30 yards in penalties and 44 yards that Buffalo ACTUALLY gained. Next possession, we fumble inside our own 20. Buffalo gains FOUR yards on that possession and kick a FG. Possession after that, fumble inside our own 25 again. Buffalo loses a yard and then throws a 26 yard TD. So all in all, Buffalo was up 17-0 and gained 74 TOTAL YARDS of offense. Sorry but that is not on the defense. That is good D if you ask me (minus the penalties)

Just my two cents but I just think we need to look into the actual numbers before saying our defense "isnt near" 2016 or 2017. We are currently 10 in total yards given up, 9th in passing yards, 14th in rushing and 8th in 3rd down %. Those arent bad numbers by any means. Especially given the situations they have been put in
I respect the respectful disagreement. I agree on the Buffalo Analysis for sure, that was on the Offense. On GB, your stats are compelling.

However, for me it is more that they do not pass the eye-test. In no game this year have they been clean with very few mistakes. Ergo the penalties and missed tackles in both the GB and SF games. What boggles my mind about this is the fact that this does not comport with the hallmarks of Zimmer's coaching philosophy and style. Further compounding the mystery is that outside of Sheldon Richardson (who has been very good for us) the whole unit is a bunch of vets. Admittedly, some of it might be the NFL rules, we've had some of those obnoxious roughing the passer calls, but we've also benefited from them. I do think that the EG affair my be a contributing factor.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/viki ... s-a-point/
Since the reincarnation of Thursday Night Football in 2006, only 10 teams have had to do what Minnesota is doing this week: Flying two time zones west for a Thursday game.

In those 10 games, the visiting team has gone 0-10 and failed to cover the spread all 10 times.
Great...
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I think this one ends up closer than most think.

Defense has got to feel embarrassed and eager to get back into the spotlight to redeem themselves. The offense needs to have quick plays called throughout and almost treat Kirk as the Packers treated banged up Erin.

I don't look for either team to put up 30. Think 25 wins.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:48 am Thursday we find out if the team has the mental toughness to keep going despite the issues surrounding Griffen as well as the blowout loss.

I don't think the impact on the problems Griffen is having can be overstated. He's one of the team's captains, best players, and main leaders. The incident at the hotel happened the night before the Bills game which I certainly think contributed to the blowout.

Not only that, but he was on the edge of being removed by the team prior to the Bills game. Yelling, being paranoid, and repeating himself during practices.

It's super tough to know what this team really is - especially the defense - considering what's been going on behind the scenes.
Totally, completely agree with this.

When I turned the TV on Sunday (much later, as I had a golf tournament, but I didn't know the outcome), I was completely stunned at how lethargic and unfocused the team looked. If there's any characteristic of this team under Zimmer, it's that they play hard. They most certainly did NOT look like they were playing hard.

I remember telling my wife, "Something has to be wrong here. These aren't the Vikings."

At that time, I had no idea of the Griffen incidents (plural). Only that he was out with a knee injury.

With this stuff happening to their captain and leader THE NIGHT BEFORE THE BUFFALO GAME, how could it NOT have an effect on the team? I know they're supposed to be able to overcome adversity, but this ... who could even fathom such a thing happening?

I'm hoping against all hope that the team has regrouped, and that we'll see a different Vikings team tomorrow night.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

It's time to circle the wagons and win one for Grif.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer probably would use a slightly stronger term than “poopfest” when talking about Thursday Night Football. Possibly a word ending in “-show.”

Zimmer doesn’t like the fact that his team has to travel from Minnesota to Los Angeles for a short-week game against the Rams. He said Wednesday that it’s “too far to go for a game during a short week.”

The Vikings traveled on Tuesday, in order to better acclimate to L.A. before the Thursday game.

“It is what it is,’’ Zimmer said. “We go out and play the schedule however they do it. I know the statistics about going to the West Coast on a short week and all of that. Part of the reason we are going out [Tuesday], we did a study on preparing for a game on a short week, all of those things.”

Mike Zimmer not happy with short-week trip to L.A.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Do you guys think we signed Tom Johnson because the team was worried that Griffen was going to lose it and be suspended/unable to play?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The more I think about this, the more I think this game is going to be about how our OL can handle their DL and how the OC adjusts to however that scenario plays out. Given the injuries to their CBs, it makes a lot of sense to run short, quick stuff to go for YAC and exploit our WR in a QUICK passing game. That should give our OL a little help against the likes of Donald and Suh.

The defense should be able to handle Goff and Gurley. They have done it before.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

720pete wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am Do you guys think we signed Tom Johnson because the team was worried that Griffen was going to lose it and be suspended/unable to play?
No they are two completely different positions. Johnson plays DT. He was signed to spell Joseph on passing downs and spell Richardson if he's tired.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Minnesota needs quick completions and not get too antsy to go down the field just because Talib and probably Peters are out for this game. The line is going to have to dedicate 3 Olineman plus most likely an RB to contain both Suh and Donald, but even then, I'm sure they get push, so a pocket forming will be hard to come by. They need to get the ball out of Kirk's hands, utilize Cook or Murray out of the backfield and dink and dunk these guys to death. Not only will that lead to the most success on offense, but it should sustain drives, limiting the time of possession for the Rams and their offense.

I think that needs to be the game plan. If it's anything else, these coaches are full of themselves.
purplenoway
Rookie

Post by purplenoway »

Vikings get their balls handed to them, 34-10. I think they believed all the hype about how good they are, but maybe not so much. Lot of football left to play though. :govikes:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:19 pm Minnesota needs quick completions and not get too antsy to go down the field just because Talib and probably Peters are out for this game. The line is going to have to dedicate 3 Olineman plus most likely an RB to contain both Suh and Donald, but even then, I'm sure they get push, so a pocket forming will be hard to come by. They need to get the ball out of Kirk's hands, utilize Cook or Murray out of the backfield and dink and dunk these guys to death. Not only will that lead to the most success on offense, but it should sustain drives, limiting the time of possession for the Rams and their offense.

I think that needs to be the game plan. If it's anything else, these coaches are full of themselves.
I should also add that this Rams defense gives up 5 yards per rushing attempts, which is near the bottom of the league. They need to feed hopefully both Cook and Murray and not go away from the run game even if they only get 3 yards a pop at first. Tire these guys out.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

purplenoway wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:33 pm Vikings get their balls handed to them, 34-10. I think they believed all the hype about how good they are, but maybe not so much. Lot of football left to play though. :govikes:
No way our D gives up that much. This offense is good but they arent the '98 Vikings. We're coming to play today. I just have that feeling. 24-17 Vikes
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm I should also add that this Rams defense gives up 5 yards per rushing attempts, which is near the bottom of the league. They need to feed hopefully both Cook and Murray and not go away from the run game even if they only get 3 yards a pop at first. Tire these guys out.
Interesting. You would think with Suh and Donald they'd be stout against the run.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.