Vikings @ Rams Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Rams Pregame Thread

Post by Purple Domination »

I'm going into this one prepared for the worst. In fact, I am preparing to be 1-3-1 in two weeks. I don't have much confidence, I hope the team proves me wrong.
purplenoway
Rookie

Post by purplenoway »

Hope you're right Percy.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

What I do know is that they let go one of their better pass rushers from last season in Robert Quinn and Alec Ogletree, a stalwart and very good linebacker. I think that hurts both their pass rush and ability to contain the edge. When you consider Talib and Peters should be out tonight, I think they are susceptible to being beat on the edge and outside.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:24 pm Interesting. You would think with Suh and Donald they'd be stout against the run.
One plays NT and one plays 3-4 DE. In both cases they are in the interior. There will be at least one edge where a rush LB is expected to maintain contain. How good is that guy? Also, do their ILB have decent lateral speed to get to the edge and either string out a play to the sideline or make a tackle. If not, then they are vulnerable to the sweep.

This defense has (had) big names on it, but it I have no idea how strong the role players are. Their LB group is rather unknown. As has been said before, the two biggest names on the line made their bacon in 4-3 schemes, not the 3-4 that Phillips runs. Donald even held out during camp this year. It's week 4, so things should be starting to click, but their strongest opponent so far was the Chargers.

I worry about our OL being able to stand up to their DL, but, the OC should KNOW this and hopefully learned his lesson against Buffalo last week. As we saw with week 1 when GB beat the Bears, there are ways to nullify a pass rush with play calling when your line is outmatched.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'd like to see them go 6 OL + Morgan. Run off tackle, push the ball down field to Diggs and Thielen, attack the seam with Morgan, the flats with Cook/Ham. Ham and Morgan are better than the players in front of them and need to play more snaps.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Is Morgan even playing this game? He's such an underrated contributor.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:02 pm Is Morgan even playing this game? He's such an underrated contributor.
I know. Very athletic, great route runner, great hands, balance, blocking. Rudolph has a great catch radius, but he's a total oaf.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

I was gonna say a blow out 49-17 Rams. But I was wrong.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

fiestavike wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:04 pm I know. Very athletic, great route runner, great hands, balance, blocking. Rudolph has a great catch radius, but he's a total oaf.
Even a long-snapper when you need him.

Never did understand why teams waste a roster spot on one long snapper that contributes nowhere else.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

fiestavike wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:04 pm I know. Very athletic, great route runner, great hands, balance, blocking. Rudolph has a great catch radius, but he's a total oaf.
Even a long-snapper when you need him.

Never did understand why teams waste a roster spot on one long snapper that contributes nowhere else.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am Even a long-snapper when you need him.

True but if hes perfecto in it i'll keep him in.