Everson Griffen In Hospital After Incident at Hotel

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Everson Griffen In Hospital After Incident at Hotel

Post by FullWood »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm In all likelihood this has nothing to do with CTE.
This is quite possible and I hope its not. Im glad Griffen is seeking treament.
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Everson Griffen - MIA

Post by Knoxx »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 pm I really hope it wasn't a teammate with cocaine. I mean, that would be a disaster. Looking ahead, what would that do to the staff? My goodness we need details here.
If we could get as many Superbowl wins as the Cowboys did during the Aikman, Irvin and Smith years. I'd turn a blind eye to the whole team using cocaine and just rehab them after retirement.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think it's too early to say definitively that CTE plays a part in this. It most definitely could have exacerbated any issues he was having. I don't like how easily CTE can be an "excuse," but I also know the effects seem to be very real in people and there's something to it. Heck, the kid from Washington State University that took his own life was shown to have the brain of a 65 year old due to CTE and that guy barely played in college, so it was most likely a cumulative effect from his childhood to HS playing days.

Sorry for the right turn here, but I'm very much intrigued by this subject and if it can be present in kids like Tyler Hilinski from above, then it easily could play a role in Everson's life. Again though, many have obviously suffered from this condition and have handled it without causing harm to themselves or others or without moments of such bizarre behavior like Everson's over the past few month or so.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Apparently Hunter said on an interview today Griffen is doing good and will be back soon. This jives with what I heard from Doogie, who is pretty plugged in.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe by the team's bye, which would be big, considering I wasn't sure he'd be back at all.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:47 pm Apparently Hunter said on an interview today Griffen is doing good and will be back soon. This jives with what I heard from Doogie, who is pretty plugged in.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe by the team's bye, which would be big, considering I wasn't sure he'd be back at all.
That’s great news. It’s been quiet for a while. What’s Doogie?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:32 pm That’s great news. It’s been quiet for a while. What’s Doogie?
Doogie Howzer, DP's brother.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Worth noting that Everson Griffen can be cut next season with minimal dead money and 10.7 million in cap savings. The Vikings need to see their young guys step up while he is gone, because 11 million is a lot to invest in a guy you can't rely on. We'll see what happens, but cap room is going to be at a premium over the next two seasons. Weatherly and Bower have a real chance to step up and go into next season as the presumptive starter.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Good point.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 pm Worth noting that Everson Griffen can be cut next season with minimal dead money and 10.7 million in cap savings. The Vikings need to see their young guys step up while he is gone, because 11 million is a lot to invest in a guy you can't rely on. We'll see what happens, but cap room is going to be at a premium over the next two seasons. Weatherly and Bower have a real chance to step up and go into next season as the presumptive starter.
Good point. If this is the case, I bet this is Griff’s last year with us. He’s on the wrong side of 30, and we could use the cap space next year.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

This means they probably draft an edge rusher in the 1st round this draft instead of an Olineman again though. :lol:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 pm This means they probably draft an edge rusher in the 1st round this draft instead of an Olineman again though. :lol:
You don't think dB is the first round?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm You don't think dB is the first round?
2nd.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple Domination wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm Good point. If this is the case, I bet this is Griff’s last year with us. He’s on the wrong side of 30, and we could use the cap space next year.
I wouldnt say he's on the "wrong" side of 30. He's still a dominant pass rusher. One of the best in the league still. It's not like he is showing decline
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 pm Worth noting that Everson Griffen can be cut next season with minimal dead money and 10.7 million in cap savings. The Vikings need to see their young guys step up while he is gone, because 11 million is a lot to invest in a guy you can't rely on. We'll see what happens, but cap room is going to be at a premium over the next two seasons. Weatherly and Bower have a real chance to step up and go into next season as the presumptive starter.
Before we write the guy off completely, any news on his condition / road to full recovery ?
Tene Quod Bene
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

At minimum I think he'll need to restructure. He may have had to do that even if he played every game this year. But now? Almost certainly.

Right now I just hope he's okay and can exorcise whatever demons he's going through.