Everson Griffen In Hospital After Incident at Hotel

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Everson Griffen In Hospital After Incident at Hotel

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm It sounds like everything calmed down from yesterday. New reports that he wasn't, in fact, banned from the facility.

Hopefully now things can move on and he can get help and hopefully get back to playing football, if that's what he wants to do.
Yeah I’ve noticed that too. It was good hearing Waynes say that they were not worried and he did not break in as well. The guys seems like he loves football more than anyone on this team. So hearing someone say “he was done with football and wanted to live a quiet life” is very hard to believe. He’s in his prime, a leader, everyone loves him and he has a shot to win a championship. I just hope this is the end, he can get back on his medication and move forward with everything soon
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Since there are no diagnostic tests that can be run at this point to definitively diagnose CTE in a living person, I'm sure doctors will try to help him as best they can, but as someone else wrote earlier in the thread, this has CTE written all over it. There are no medications for that.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:12 pm Since there are no diagnostic tests that can be run at this point to definitively diagnose CTE in a living person, I'm sure doctors will try to help him as best they can, but as someone else wrote earlier in the thread, this has CTE written all over it. There are no medications for that.
In all likelihood this has nothing to do with CTE.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm In all likelihood this has nothing to do with CTE.

At this point, all things are possible.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:12 pm Since there are no diagnostic tests that can be run at this point to definitively diagnose CTE in a living person, I'm sure doctors will try to help him as best they can, but as someone else wrote earlier in the thread, this has CTE written all over it. There are no medications for that.
His wife said that he has problems when he is off his medications. So it looks like whatever the diagnosis, it does respond to medications. Given what you say about CTE, this would be counter to that. My own take on what little we know suggests a possible manic episode - and that does tend to respond to medication.

However, this is all conjecture on all of our parts, whether professional or not. I am glad he is getting evaluated and am hopeful, for him and his family more than anyone else, that he will get back on track.

His family needs him more than the fans.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... of-denial/

2 hour film going into more detail about cte findings, and worse, how the league has handled it. Two things that stood out to me were 1. Out of 46 tested football players 45 have been confirmed to have cte. 2. The starting signs of cte have been found in a high school athlete who never had a recorded concussion. Its an intriguing watch and as others have mention i have thought of the damage this sport causes and definitely get sick to my stomach when i see a big hit to the head of a player, knowing exactly the damage it is causing. No one can say for sure if this is cte however the similarities to others is alarming.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

As a player, it has got to be unnerving to see this happen to your teammates and friends. It feels like CTE, but even if it's not, it will continue to sow the seeds of doubt. I can't help but feel like we are in the twilight years of the NFL.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:04 am https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... of-denial/

2 hour film going into more detail about cte findings, and worse, how the league has handled it. Two things that stood out to me were 1. Out of 46 tested football players 45 have been confirmed to have cte. 2. The starting signs of cte have been found in a high school athlete who never had a recorded concussion. Its an intriguing watch and as others have mention i have thought of the damage this sport causes and definitely get sick to my stomach when i see a big hit to the head of a player, knowing exactly the damage it is causing. No one can say for sure if this is cte however the similarities to others is alarming.
Lots of correlation. But the science is more driven by trial lawyers than scientists. This is a playbook.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

“This past week’s events have raised many questions and I want to apologize to everyone who was impacted. I am currently focused on resolving personal issues with which I have been dealing for a long time. Once I have had time to address those issues, I hope to share my story with everyone.

“I am extremely grateful for the support I have received from my family, the Vikings organization, my teammates and our tremendous fan base.

“I apologize for not being able to take the field with my teammates and do not have an exact timeline for my return. I promise, however, I will return as a much-improved person and player.”

Read more
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:32 pm As a player, it has got to be unnerving to see this happen to your teammates and friends. It feels like CTE, but even if it's not, it will continue to sow the seeds of doubt. I can't help but feel like we are in the twilight years of the NFL.
I've been saying that for years, since Goodell took over really. Ratings will plummet after this season.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The veteran defensive end has missed the past two games for the Minnesota Vikings as he continues to work on improving his mental health.
During the first two weeks of the 2018 season, it seemed like there was nothing that could slow down the defensive line of the Minnesota Vikings.

In Weeks 1 and 2, the Vikings’ defense racked up a total of 45 quarterback pressures, including eight sacks. But during their last two games, Minnesota has just four sacks and 27 total pressures.
Week 6 is the earliest Everson Griffen could return to the Vikings
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

This proves my point that losing a top 3 pass rusher in the league can drastically effect even an "elite" defense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

He's an All-Pro player, so it's obviously going to have an effect, but I do not think you can call yourself an elite defense if you look much worse with just 1 player being out. Besides, I don't know how much he would have helped against the Rams. Goff got the ball out way too quick for the pass rush to even really be a factor, except for 1 play.

I think it's encouraging that he has the potential to be back this season. It will hopefully be a good playoff storyline.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm This proves my point that losing a top 3 pass rusher in the league can drastically effect even an "elite" defense
How on Earth does that prove anything?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 pm How on Earth does that prove anything?
Read the post by cliff. Our sack and pressure numbers were DOUBLED when griffen was playing. I said before that not having griffen hurts this defense more than some think. Those numbers prove my point.
-Chazz Palminteri