Everson Griffen In Hospital After Incident at Hotel

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Everson Griffen - MIA

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

We are cursed, this is like 2010 all over again.

Silver Lining: If/when he comes back his toe should be healed up.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
COViking
Backup

Post by COViking »

Man I was just seeing if any other forums had dug anything else up and found this. Man IF all this is true, he has a long road ahead of him. Boy of boy, this opens up a whole new can of worms.....

http://purplepainforums.com/thread/1446 ... ned-happen
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

COViking wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 am Man I was just seeing if any other forums had dug anything else up and found this. Man IF all this is true, he has a long road ahead of him. Boy of boy, this opens up a whole new can of worms.....

What.

The.

F.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

COViking wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 am Man I was just seeing if any other forums had dug anything else up and found this. Man IF all this is true, he has a long road ahead of him. Boy of boy, this opens up a whole new can of worms.....

It's interesting for sure. Hope it's not true. Luckily it's a random person with no sources that could be trolling but you never know, could be legit.
I wanted to share what I know regarding Everson Griffen. I know him as a person and I know what has been happening for quite some time. There is so much more to the story that you have been reading in latest reports. I grew up with Griffen and have remained great friends with him and his family. I last spoke with Griffen last month and was going to see him this Thursday as I was driving out to watch the Vikings vs Rams in L.A. I am still going to the game as I have a big Vikings fan.

What has been happening begins with the NFL drug testing. They do not test for drugs during the season. Griffen past his last test which was done during training camp. Once the season began EG got back into hard narcotics. Where the story takes a turn for the worse is that a fellow teammate is supplying his drugs from his friends who have been driving them in from out of town.

This player is a well known Viking and EG did indeed break into his house but not recently. This was an old incident.

EG suffers from depression and has been addicted to these drugs for about 5 years and people close to him have been trying to get him to seek help with zero success.

I will not discuss our discussions.

EG is a great guy and needs help. After this past incident which I have been informed was due to hallucinations. EG has had these terrible moments in the past as early as this past spring.

What I know now is that EG is seeking treatment and is being evaluated by doctors. I do not know if they are trying to get him into detox and a rehab center.

I have had contact with people in Minnesota and was told that EG informed them two weeks ago that he mentioned he was done playing football and wanted to move back to Arizona and live a normal quiet life.

After what has happened and knowing the situation. EG will likely never play again in the NFL. Plus with all that will come out. He will likely be suspended for multiple seasons which he will not resume a career after.

Lets just hope for the best as a person and that he gets himself on the right track.
I will come out now stating that my friend is the one that reported this to a local reporter. So prepare for lots of views as my twitter page has been deleted. I have been fielding phone calls from sports beat writers on this and will not be reporting any more information per request by others.

i have spoken with members of the Vikings and have shared information that was already known to them.

The player that is on the Vikings team is clearly going to be in serious trouble and most likely will end his career.

One question brought to me is the possibility these players could be connected with a league wide drug cartel. I do believe multiple players are involved. And i do believe EG has been part in growing this network. This is information the team already had so it was not an issue for me to disclose at this time.
The Vikings were informed by outside sources including my friend few weeks ago about EG situation. This is why EG was put on the injury report as they were going to take him off the active roster immediately. When they did not feel the need to continue seeking information on the matter, they kept him in the lineup.

EG told my friend via phone that he was going to leave town for a week and then return to play the Rams. The Vikings put him on the injury report again which gave EG a good reason to skip practice.

The team tried to contact EG. I myself tried to contact EG and there was no success. This is when the Vikings decided to keep him off the active roster.
Friday of last week EG decided to show up at the facility during off-hours and he slept at the facility.

Saturday he got a ride to the hotel where the team was staying and the Vikings did not have a room for him.

What happened before that is cause for concern and this information I will keep private.
COViking
Backup

Post by COViking »

Yeah, I gotta say that Griffen has been my favorite player for a long time, and I know this is just some random poster but man it is written like they know what is going on. If all this is true I think the NFL and NFL teams do a hell of a lot better job hiding stuff than I believed they did, PR must be working HARD. It really makes me wonder who the other Viking player is......
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I feel for the guy... But that teammate... WTH is it with this organization!?
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:54 am I feel for the guy... But that teammate... WTH is it with this organization!?
If this is true, a couple of things come to mind:

1) Looks to be more of an NFL issue ("cartel") than just EG and the Vikes.

2) It looks like the Vikings at least tried to shut EG down and get him help when he began to act erratically after preseason.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

He just had his first child last year, didn't he? I remember him pulling his jersey up after a sack asking what he should name his baby or something like that.

It's easy to forget these guys are human beings sometimes. EG had major question marks around him coming out of college IIRC, which is one reason a supremely gifted talent fell all the way to the 4th round of the draft. He just seemed like he had gotten past his demons and had his life together. I hope he can get the help he needs because if nothing else, his child needs him.

And if there is a drug cartel or even a loose organization of dealers in the NFL, that needs to get blown up and exposed ASAP. I really don't care who else is involved on the Vikings - they should be off the team and out of the league.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I have no idea what to think right now. This is getting out of control.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am And if there is a drug cartel or even a loose organization of dealers in the NFL, that needs to get blown up and exposed ASAP. I really don't care who else is involved on the Vikings - they should be off the team and out of the league.
And if so, it would be great to see the NFL and the NFLPA working together on this to make it so.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It was Trae Wayne's house he tried breaking into.
Later Saturday afternoon Griffen’s wife contacted police from the couple’s Minnetrista home and told authorities he sped off in a vehicle with another person and was not wearing a shirt, according to dispatch audio.

Sometime later, she told authorities that he had returned. Shortly after, police were directed to speak with a woman at the nearby home of Vikings cornerback Trae Waynes on a report that Griffen was either breaking into the Waynes’ home or trying to get in, the dispatch audio revealed. A woman said she saw a shirtless Griffen at one point in the bushes of the home.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-stan ... 494267331/
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm It was Trae Wayne's house he tried breaking into.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-stan ... 494267331/
Why can 5hus stuff never happen in green Bay?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So does this make them bring back Robinson?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

More details trickling out depending on where you're reading.
Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen is being treated at a mental health facility, after a series of erratic incidents that had his wife so concerned she called police.

According to Paul Walsh of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Griffin was taken in after his wife called police from their home as well as the home of a teammate nearby.

The 30-year-old Griffen was involved in an incident at the Hotel Ivy, where he threatened to shoot hotel employees, according to the police report, though no gun was found. His wife told police that he had sped off from their home with another person, and later in the afternoon, she called again saying he was trying to get into the home of Vikings cornerback Trae Waynes.

When police reached him, he was put into an ambulance, but medical personnel had to stop so police could restrain him.
Read more