Barr

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Barr

Post by Texas Vike »

Not sure if I've posted this image correctly. It's a pic of Josh Allen owning Barr (#3 of the day), stiff arming him and baiting him into a horse collar tackle.

For the record, Barr was hurdled (#2) and simply outrun by Allen on previous plays.

My question is in relation to the third embarrassment: is it legal for the defender to pull a jujitsu type move and tackle the stiff armer by the extended arm? Obviously, he can't attempt to snap the guys arm in two, but what exactly is legal on a play like this one?
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Barr

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I don't know, but it upsets me that they don't call face-mask penalties on offensive players. Why is it "legal" for offensive players to do it, but not defensive players?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I said it earlier but I am done with Barr. I want a new SLB next year
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I have been Anthony Barr's biggest fan since he was drafted. But he has completely disappeared this season, and really has since Zimmer called him out a couple of years ago. The play in GB when he looked like someone super glued his feet to the ground on the TD pissed me off. And then to see what happened to him yesterday just sealed it for me. I was a staunch advocate for an extension for him but not anymore. I'd trade him now if we could just to get a bag of peanuts in return rather than nothing.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am I have been Anthony Barr's biggest fan since he was drafted. But he has completely disappeared this season, and really has since Zimmer called him out a couple of years ago. The play in GB when he looked like someone super glued his feet to the ground on the TD pissed me off. And then to see what happened to him yesterday just sealed it for me. I was a staunch advocate for an extension for him but not anymore. I'd trade him now if we could just to get a bag of peanuts in return rather than nothing.
I said at the beginning of the year we should have traded him and signed Mychal Kendricks. Granted, he's going to jail at some point but he's still playing and playing well for Seattle. If we had a replacement for him I would say trade him now but we don't have much
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 am Image

Not sure if I've posted this image correctly. It's a pic of Josh Allen owning Barr (#3 of the day), stiff arming him and baiting him into a horse collar tackle.

For the record, Barr was hurdled (#2) and simply outrun by Allen on previous plays.

My question is in relation to the third embarrassment: is it legal for the defender to pull a jujitsu type move and tackle the stiff armer by the extended arm? Obviously, he can't attempt to snap the guys arm in two, but what exactly is legal on a play like this one?
Oh that's easy. A player with the ball can stiff arm into the face mask. What they can't do is grab it.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Nothing we can do about it now, Barr will be in the position he's in the rest of this year.

I'm glad we didn't extend him. Keep in mind - this is him playing for a contract next season. If he can't step it up this season he can't step it up.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Barr is garbage. He's as physically gifted (maybe even more) as Khalil Mack but doesn't have the smarts to know how to use it. Too often he's in position to make a tackle for a loss and ends up allowing a 5-7 yard gain because of his slow reaction or a bad angle. Nice that this year he's been committing a lot of penalties too.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Raptorman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am Oh that's easy. A player with the ball can stiff arm into the face mask. What they can't do is grab it.
I know that. That wasn't the question. I'm wondering how much the defender (Barr, here) can crank on the extended arm of the stiff armer. I feel like I've seen players in the past (Joey Browner?) use what looked like martial arts types of moves to fend off stiff arming.

The frustration expressed in this thread towards Barr is warranted, IMO. He seems like a key piece to Zimmer's D, but he's failing and maybe that's why the D overall is coming up short. Even Rhodes has looked less dominant this season though!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Why all the negativity just towards Barr? He stood out maybe in a not good way yesterday, but he was far from alone IMHO.

Sendejo blows into the backfield and completely whiffs on what should have been a tackle for a loss.

Waynes drops what should have been an INT.

Someone not named Barr released another no-name TE on a deep route for an easy score. Another 55-yarder was conceded by guys not named Barr.

It's too easy to focus on one guy. Yes, embarrassing for Barr that he got stiff-armed by the QB. Embarrassing for him that he was the guy said QB leaped over on his way to a first down that shouldn't have happened. Barr certainly can and needs to play better. But Barr was far from the only Viking defender that messed up yesterday.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am Why all the negativity just towards Barr? He stood out maybe in a not good way yesterday, but he was far from alone IMHO.

Sendejo blows into the backfield and completely whiffs on what should have been a tackle for a loss.

Someone not named Barr released another no-name TE on a deep route for an easy score. Another 55-yarder was conceded by guys not named Barr.

It's too easy to focus on one guy. Yes, embarrassing for Barr that he got stiff-armed by the QB. Embarrassing for him that he was the guy said QB leaped over on his way to a first down that shouldn't have happened. Barr certainly can and needs to play better. But Barr was far from the only Viking defender that messed up yesterday.
The answer is easy: because he was the most egregious f up out of a plethora of them.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He's definitely not worth the big bucks. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Raptorman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am Oh that's easy. A player with the ball can stiff arm into the face mask. What they can't do is grab it.
Thanks. It's just strange. More rules that favor the offense.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am Why all the negativity just towards Barr? He stood out maybe in a not good way yesterday, but he was far from alone IMHO.

Sendejo is the one who allowed the TE to get free.

Barr was held on nearly every running play and finally did draw a flag, but he his mistakes were easier to see, so he gets the most blame. Not fair, but it is what it is.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 am I don't know, but it upsets me that they don't call face-mask penalties on offensive players. Why is it "legal" for offensive players to do it, but not defensive players?
I once saw that call go AGAINST the Vikings. The Vikings runner stiff-armed a Dallas tackler and got called for a facemask penalty. It's been quite a few years ago, though. I doubt you'd see that call nowadays.

The other one that gets me is "illegal hands, hands to the face." This photo looks like the very definition.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.