The Kicker...AGAIN! *Update* Vikings Just signed Bailey

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: The Kicker...AGAIN! *Update* Vikings Just signed Bailey

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 am We traded up to draft a kicker who was inaccurate in college
80% on his career at Auburn isnt really inaccurate. Dan Bailey is the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history at 88%. Carlson was 80% at Auburn. That's fairly solid if you ask me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

ChicagoViking wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am Umm. Really? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Carlson was 198-198 (100%) on XPs in his college career and 92-114 on FGs (80.7%) (his percentage is No. 5 all time in SEC history). He was a 3-time Lou Groza award finalist, is the SEC's all time leading scorer, is second all-time nationally among kickers, and was top 10 in the country in touch-back percentage. The gamble didn't pay off, but I don't think it was a terrible gamble.
Good post. Didnt catch this until after I posted the above comment
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Did they officially sign Bailey? I've only seen articles saying they were going to, nothing official. The Vikings App didn't send a notification about a roster change other than cutting Carlson and adding Robinson. The Official Vikings Roster indicates Carlson being cut and Robinson being added, but Bailey isn't listed. So, as far as I can tell, this move isn't official and currently the Vikings don't have a kicker. Someone please direct me towards an official source saying otherwise if I am wrong.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

akvikingsfan wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 pm Did they officially sign Bailey? I've only seen articles saying they were going to, nothing official. The Vikings App didn't send a notification about a roster change other than cutting Carlson and adding Robinson. The Official Vikings Roster indicates Carlson being cut and Robinson being added, but Bailey isn't listed. So, as far as I can tell, this move isn't official and currently the Vikings don't have a kicker. Someone please direct me towards an official source saying otherwise if I am wrong.
Not official yet. He was supposed to have a physical today. It's making me a little nervous too, but I suspect they would have to be very confident in the deal getting done.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

We officially signed Bailey. Waived Coley :shock:
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm We officially signed Bailey. Waived Coley :shock:
Wow. Many thought it would be Roc. I interpret this to mean: 1) either they want to make sure Dalvin's fully recovered 2) they simply think Roc is a more special talent at RB than Coley is at WR.

Glad Bailey is officially signed.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^ They still need to release 2 more though, correct? To account for Aldrick and Tom Johnson now.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:05 pm Wow. Many thought it would be Roc. I interpret this to mean: 1) either they want to make sure Dalvin's fully recovered 2) they simply think Roc is a more special talent at RB than Coley is at WR.

Glad Bailey is officially signed.
Maybe both?. Roc could still get cut, but the injury scare may save him for now.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm ^ They still need to release 2 more though, correct? To account for Aldrick and Tom Johnson now.
Just 1 more. Carlson and Coley were 1 and 2.
Damian
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Duh. Right.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

TheCoolerOne wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 am Well, Auburn had 3 blocked kicks in 2017. Two against Texas A&M, and one against UGA. They had some special teams issues late in the season. Tack those three back on, or remove them from the overall attempts, and you're looking at 82-83% depending on which way you lean.
Or maybe the blocks were his fault and they don't get tacked on? You raised an interesting point however.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 am 80% on his career at Auburn isnt really inaccurate. Dan Bailey is the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history at 88%. Carlson was 80% at Auburn. That's fairly solid if you ask me
While I consider the career, for kickers I give extra weight to the last year. In the last year he was 74%. Not exactly a kicker I would move up to draft. Consider me tainted since Roberto Aguayo. I don't believe in trading up for them. There are a surplus of good ones and they change teams every season.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Looks like a pretty good deal too
Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
18s18 seconds ago

The #Vikings signed K Dan Bailey to a 1-year deal worth $2 million, I’m told. He turned down several offers that were for double that much on multi-year deals. He wanted the right fit and believes he found it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:33 pm While I consider the career, for kickers I give extra weight to the last year. In the last year he was 74%. Not exactly a kicker I would move up to draft. Consider me tainted since Roberto Aguayo. I don't believe in trading up for them. There are a surplus of good ones and they change teams every season.
Does that include counting the Groin injury he suffered last year.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Raptorman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm Does that include counting the Groin injury he suffered last year.
Bailey had a groin injury last season too. They cut him after bringing someone in to compete. So no, they don't give you passes for groin injuries.