Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Dames wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am Correct. It was Coley, and If I'm not mistaken Holton Hill returned the next (and last) kick in OT. I suspect that didn't go over very well with Priefer.
You're right. I bet that's why Hill returned it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am Exactly and please forgive me for :deadhorse: but that's exactly what Zimmer did yesterday. The fragile psyche you referred to in your post was already apparent. Zimmer ignored it at the end of OT and ended up with a tie when he had the time to give his offense a chance to win it. The "safe", conservative choice bit him in the behind. I think that's important because that type of choice can cost a championship. Make that same mistake in a postseason game and overtime continues. If the opposing team turns around and scores on the next possession, the season is over.
I was surprised there wasn't a greater sense of urgency to try to score on that final drive given the 2 prior misses by Carlson. Granted, those were longer attempts, but still, I think Zimmer could have said we're going to go for it and give ourselves a chance to win the game outright.

I was also a little surprised there was no fake attempt. I mean, especially on the last field goal, the Packers had to sell out to block it. A fake at that point would not only have caught them completely off guard, it would have scored and ended the game (assuming, of course, the Vikings ST could execute it, which at this point I'm not confident is the case).

Ah well, the day belongs to the bold. Vikings deserved a better outcome yesterday, but on the bright side, they're still undefeated.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm putting the issues of Carlson and Treadwell aside for now...

But I thought the Vikings go WHOOPED in the trenches. No penetration from the defense at all early on and aside from a few series in the 2nd half, they got nowhere near Rodgers. Sheldon Richardson continues to stand out though. You can tell he's playing for his next contract. His motor just keeps going full throttle.

Vikings need a better run game. I'm optimistic this will improve.

DeFelippo seems to be another offensive coach enchanted with lateral movement plays. I also think it is partly why Cook is struggling to run the ball, whereas Murray has looked better -- the run play designs for each seem different. I could be wrong on that though.

All things considered and a day after being able to settle down...A tie was fitting, though it still feels like a loss.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:17 pm I'm putting the issues of Carlson and Treadwell aside for now...

But I thought the Vikings go WHOOPED in the trenches. No penetration from the defense at all early on and aside from a few series in the 2nd half, they got nowhere near Rodgers. Sheldon Richardson continues to stand out though. You can tell he's playing for his next contract. His motor just keeps going full throttle.

Vikings need a better run game. I'm optimistic this will improve.

DeFelippo seems to be another offensive coach enchanted with lateral movement plays. I also think it is partly why Cook is struggling to run the ball, whereas Murray has looked better -- the run play designs for each seem different. I could be wrong on that though.

All things considered and a day after being able to settle down...A tie was fitting, though it still feels like a loss.
I think Murray uses his power a bit more to eek out better stats. Cook is not know as a power guy and as a result, tried to cut back at the LOS. The issue for both lands on the Oline. They are getting driven back or at best stalemating at the LOS. We have to get movement to give these guys a shot.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

ChicagoViking wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 am You say that almost as if the fans calling for the heads of Carlson and Treadwell are fickle. Carlson has kicked in four preseason games and two regular season games. He looked terrible in one preseason game and may have just had one of the most epic fails of any Vikings kicker during regular season. If a sports shrink can't fix that kid's confidence in a week, I'm just not sure the Vikes have the luxury of patience. He cost us a win. Three different times. End of story.

As for Treadwell, the kid has had two-plus seasons to prove he can catch the ball, but he has shown nothing but consistent troywilliamsonitis. His drops -- including the one leading to the INT -- cost us the win every bit as much as Carlson's ineptitude. Hard to continue to show patience when he seems to be a player who can perform consistently only in practice, and not in games.
I think it's drastic to want to get rid of Compton and Treadwell. Compton may get beat or have a mental lapse on a few plays, but so does everyone else. Rhodes, Reiff, Waynes, Barr, Smith. I've seen Compton in the 2nd level blocking numerous times. And to be honest, I think the pass protection has been decent so far. You can't throw for 400yds if it wasn't.

Treadwell is getting open so he's doing something right. I think he's just getting ahead of himself and trying to get up field before looking the ball in. The Vikings stayed with Jake Reed through his early struggles and that worked out well.

Carlson, I know he's already gone and I'm fine with it. He had only one job to do and he couldn't do it. He had the perfect opportunity to redeem himself in OT (twice) and failed.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Carlson released. Vikings sign Bailey
Last edited by mansquatch on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The thing about Treadwell though is that he can block really well. I think that kind of saves him. I wouldn't be surprised if this signing itself is just to light one more fire under his butt. I'd like Minnesota to give him one more chance as a WR3.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm The thing about Treadwell though is that he can block really well. I think that kind of saves him. I wouldn't be surprised if this signing itself is just to light one more fire under his butt. I'd like Minnesota to give him one more chance as a WR3.
If he would have actually caught those balls we'd be talking about how awesome Treadwell is and how he really turned the corner. He was getting open, he caught a TD, he put on a great block to open up a big play.

I know what ifs don't count for a lot but that's just to say that I do think he's close to being a good WR ... I'm not sure he'll ever overcome that last barrier.

Convert him to a DB, I guess. He's good at breaking up passes and causing interceptions :P
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm If he would have actually caught those balls we'd be talking about how awesome Treadwell is and how he really turned the corner. He was getting open, he caught a TD, he put on a great block to open up a big play.

I know what ifs don't count for a lot but that's just to say that I do think he's close to being a good WR ... I'm not sure he'll ever overcome that last barrier.

Convert him to a DB, I guess. He's good at breaking up passes and causing interceptions :P
Hard to remember someone whose game hands are as suspect as his. Seems even worse than TWill.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

ChicagoViking wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm Hard to remember someone whose game hands are as suspect as his. Seems even worse than TWill.
The big difference I see between him and Williamson is that Treadwell does actually have other parts of his game together. Williamson couldn't catch but he could also only get open in situations when he could break free and could use his speed to make separation.

A WR that can't catch isn't worth much regardless, but Williamson had more issues than his hands, I think.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I'm down on Tread but not ready to sell my stocks yet. He needs to look the ball in.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:36 pm I'm down on Tread but not ready to sell my stocks yet. He needs to look the ball in.
This.

His issue is he's looking to make the big play. He's open, he wants to break into space and make something happen, which is no surprise given the guys he's out there with in Diggs and Thielen who are both dynamic after the catch.

The crazy thing about Treadwell is, you can see the potential in the guy. I mean, he's got the tools to be a big time pro receiver. And I like how Cousins kept going back to him and didn't give up on him. Now Treadwell has to respond, and how he responds to a game like the one he just had is going to tell me a lot more about his future than just that game. Does he come out and have a big game against the Bills, or does he keep making the mental errors that cost him and the team against the Packers?

I'm going contrarian here and am betting he fixes it. Look for a huge game from Treadwell against the Bills.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

ChicagoViking wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28 am You really think Zimmer wanted a rookie kicker!?!! I guarantee Zimmer had nothing to do with that decision.
You think Zimmer had no choice in whether they went with Forbath or Carlson?
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

:lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... hing-video

The NFL will be distributing a video staring Clay Matthews hit on Kirk Cousins. It will be a teaching video about how NOT to hit a Quarterback.

So all the Packer fans and Aaron Rodgers #### kissers that thought they were robbed. The NFL just double down on how wrong they are.

LOVE IT!
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 am I said it after we cut Forbath. It was too early. A long FG in Denver isn't a true test. Kicks tend to travel further up in that thin air.
I'm curious.

You play the "I said it" card an awful lot.

Have you ever been wrong about anything related to the Vikings? I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd ask.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.