Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

raddmann
Backup

Re: Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by raddmann »

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 pm The big difference I see between him and Williamson is that Treadwell does actually have other parts of his game together. Williamson couldn't catch but he could also only get open in situations when he could break free and could use his speed to make separation.

A WR that can't catch isn't worth much regardless, but Williamson had more issues than his hands, I think.
As I recall it was discovered that Williamson had a problem with his eyes that affected his depth perception. Odd that they didn't figure that out when he was in college. He also wanted to fight Brad Childress ( :slice: ) which didn't help his cause lol.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

StpViking wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 pm :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... hing-video

The NFL will be distributing a video staring Clay Matthews hit on Kirk Cousins. It will be a teaching video about how NOT to hit a Quarterback.

So all the Packer fans and Aaron Rodgers #### kissers that thought they were robbed. The NFL just double down on how wrong they are.

LOVE IT!
Let me preface this with saying I'm as big a Vikings fan as I can be.

The NFL can say anything they want. It's becoming tough to watch football. These kind of rules will be what kills football. Tell me honestly what a defensive player is supposed to do?
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^ People been saying the same thing for the last 10 seasons. It's frustrating, but it ain't killing football...yet.Not sure where that tipping point is though. It's gotta be coming.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 pm I'm curious.

You play the "I said it" card an awful lot.

Have you ever been wrong about anything related to the Vikings? I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd ask.
Plenty. I was wrong on Patterson. I was wrong on Murray. I was wrong on Remmers at the RT position. Unlike most, I have no problem saying I am wrong. The fact that you haven't seen much of it, makes me think you should spend more time listening to me and less time making passive aggressive posts :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Anybody have any doubts that if Dan Bailey was on the team last week we would be 2-0 right now?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 am Anybody have any doubts that if Dan Bailey was on the team last week we would be 2-0 right now?
Agreed Cliff and hopefully we remedied that situation signing Bailey. At least they didn't drag it out.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 pm ^ People been saying the same thing for the last 10 seasons. It's frustrating, but it ain't killing football...yet.Not sure where that tipping point is though. It's gotta be coming.
Between this rule and the national anthem thing, I honestly believe it's close. Ratings have been going down for years, and this isn't helping.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:09 am Agreed Cliff and hopefully we remedied that situation signing Bailey. At least they didn't drag it out.
The fact that Zimmer acted that quickly tells me that he didn't like drafting or annointing Carlson as the kicker, but he trusted his coach (Priefer) to make the right call. I have the feeling said to Priefer that it us Zimmer's team, and he is upset enough to get rid of the fifth round draft pick.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 am Between this rule and the national anthem thing, I honestly believe it's close. Ratings have been going down for years, and this isn't helping.
Except the "ratings going down, the nfl is dying" is not really accurate. Are the ratings down? Yes, but all of tv ratings are down. I watch all my games currently through a (legal) stream so those don't get counted. I haven't seen week 2, but every single time slot that the nfl was playing dominated everything else in week 1. Didn't matter if it was the early games or the late games, NFL was by far the most popular and still way more popular than any other televised sport. The bidding has gone up, not down for the price the various networks are paying for games. It'll be a problem when FOX/NBC/ESPN etc offer less than the previous years, but that hasn't happened yet.

From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/t ... 8c6cc8ae43
The macro view, the networks like to say, is that regardless of ratings points, the NFL, relative to everything else on TV, is in better shape than ever. And they’re right. The five highest-rated shows last week were NFL games.

“The NFL is still the biggest thing out there,” said Neal Pilson, who ran CBS Sports from 1976 to 1995. “If you want to sell cars, you still have to go to the NFL.”
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

I recently read somewhere that 16 of the top 20 tv event ratings were nfl games last year so it's still very good ratings. I think the biggest reason for the decline is that there are just way more entertainment options available now than 20 years ago. When I started watching football there were no video games, cable tv or internet. Had these been around in the 70's the NFL would never have been the ratings monster it became. The number of games I watch over the last 15 years or so has gone way down. I rarely watch any AFC games during the season because I just don't give a crap about Buffalo vs Miami. I only watched 5 minutes of the Cowboys vs Giants again because I just don't care to waste 3 hours watching one crappy team play a mediocre team, I think they should move MNF back to broadcast tv and drastically cut back the TNF games too. There is a glut of games on tv which diminishes their value. I also wish that they would ditch games that start at noon. I love watching the Vikes but hate wasting a beautiful fall afternoon watching tv.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

raddmann wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:22 pm I recently read somewhere that 16 of the top 20 tv event ratings were nfl games last year so it's still very good ratings. I think the biggest reason for the decline is that there are just way more entertainment options available now than 20 years ago. When I started watching football there were no video games, cable tv or internet. Had these been around in the 70's the NFL would never have been the ratings monster it became. The number of games I watch over the last 15 years or so has gone way down. I rarely watch any AFC games during the season because I just don't give a crap about Buffalo vs Miami. I only watched 5 minutes of the Cowboys vs Giants again because I just don't care to waste 3 hours watching one crappy team play a mediocre team, I think they should move MNF back to broadcast tv and drastically cut back the TNF games too. There is a glut of games on tv which diminishes their value. I also wish that they would ditch games that start at noon. I love watching the Vikes but hate wasting a beautiful fall afternoon watching tv.
You know, there's some wisdom in what you say here.

Imagine if the NFL went to games at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. EST, instead of 1 and 4.

Fox and CBS would own Sunday night, one of the most-watched time slots in TV. And when it came time to renegotiate TV rights, the NFL could sit back and watch the networks (and ESPN, presumably, and possibly another player like TNT) bid to the sky to get the games for that coveted slot.

Instead, we're stuck with whatever game happens to be playing in the evening. If it's a snoozer, people can just tune in to 60 Minutes. But if you had a whole slate of evening games, the NFL would utterly dominate the ratings.

I'm with you on TNF. In fact, I wish they'd cut it altogether. I hate staying up that late when I have to work the next day, and I doubt I'm along in that sentiment. Plus, it's bad for the teams involved. The Vikings, for example, to have to play against Buffalo on Sunday, then travel all the way to the west coast to play a loaded Rams team four days later. Meanwhile, the Rams will be playing their third of three straight home games.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:32 am Plenty. I was wrong on Patterson. I was wrong on Murray. I was wrong on Remmers at the RT position. Unlike most, I have no problem saying I am wrong. The fact that you haven't seen much of it, makes me think you should spend more time listening to me and less time making passive aggressive posts :)
I had a nice, long, non-passive-aggressive response to this litany of arrogance all typed up.

But common sense got the better of me.

I'll just say I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than spend time reading your posts.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 pm I had a nice, long, non-passive-aggressive response to this litany of arrogance all typed up.

But common sense got the better of me.

I'll just say I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than spend time reading your posts.
Cool story bro!!!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

raddmann wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:26 pm As I recall it was discovered that Williamson had a problem with his eyes that affected his depth perception. Odd that they didn't figure that out when he was in college. He also wanted to fight Brad Childress ( :slice: ) which didn't help his cause lol.
Williamson never demonstrated an ability to catch the ball consistently in college. He was consistently inconsistent in college. Vikes liked his speed and thought they could coach talent into him.

Treadwell, OTOH, dominated in college. He was consistent and effective. If he had a problem in college, it was that he was just that much more physically gifted that a lot of his competition and he didn't have to work that hard to be better. But I think he's willing to work and I think it's starting to pay off for him. As hard as it is to say remain patient for a 3rd year player, Treadwell is one it applies to.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm Williamson never demonstrated an ability to catch the ball consistently in college. He was consistently inconsistent in college. Vikes liked his speed and thought they could coach talent into him.

Treadwell, OTOH, dominated in college. He was consistent and effective. If he had a problem in college, it was that he was just that much more physically gifted that a lot of his competition and he didn't have to work that hard to be better. But I think he's willing to work and I think it's starting to pay off for him. As hard as it is to say remain patient for a 3rd year player, Treadwell is one it applies to.
I think he is the greatest WR to come into the league since Moss.

Happy now ?