Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by Mothman »

I'm going to get this thread started because I have Thoughts.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by Boon »

How does this affect anything in the long run? I have no idea if theres any benefits or penalties
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

And they need to go pick someone up from 7-11 that can make field goals
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

1. Sign Dan Bailey tonight.
2. We should have tried harder for the TD at the end of OT. Our offense was cruising. Carlson was clearly not.
3. Cousins is a great QB and worth all the money we gave him.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Boon wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm How does this affect anything in the long run? I have no idea if theres any benefits or penalties
Means the game at the Bank will be the game to determine a potential tie breaker between the Vikings and Packers. Also helps for seeding in the playoffs. For example if Vikings are 11-4-1 and another team is 11-5 the Vikings will be considered to have the better record. A win would have been nice, but a tie is better than a loss.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

For the first time since 1973, two games end in a tie in the first two weeks of the NFL.

Cousins, monster game, Thielen, awesome, Diggs, amazing.

Defense, get better. Be more disciplined. Cover recievers and rush the passer more.

Carlson, get the hell out of the locker room and go to unemployment. Dan Bailey awaits us.

Treadwell, go there too. I don't care if you got a TD, you killed two drives and allowed an interception. You're done son.

This should never have been a tie. Never.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

We don't have a kicker or 3rd WR. Should have won but a tie against the primary team that will challenge for the division at their house is much better than a loss. The offense showed a lot of pride and grit. The defense had some disturbing moments but was ok. Special teams is garbage. Lots of roster decisions need to be made.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm For the first time since 1973, two games end in a tie in the first two weeks of the NFL.

Cousins, monster game, Thielen, awesome, Diggs, amazing.

Defense, get better. Be more disciplined. Cover recievers and rush the passer more.

Carlson, get the hell out of the locker room and go to unemployment. Dan Bailey awaits us.

Treadwell, go there too. I don't care if you got a TD, you killed two drives and allowed an interception. You're done son.

This should never have been a tie. Never.
Agreed on all fronts. :thumbsup:
Tene Quod Bene
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Carlson had 1 job and thats to kick the field goal and he missed 3 of them costing the game. It's not like it was in the 50s range.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The title for this game should be How to Squander a Gift because that roughing call against Matthews was a gift. To the Vikings credit, they took it and scored, then tied the game up with an excellent 2-point conversion.

3 things we learned today:

1.) Cousins may very well be worth the money. I doubt any of the QBs the Vikes have had in the last 7 or 8 years could have matched that performance in such an important game. He was excellent today.

2.) Treadwell is a bust. Congrats to him on running a good route and catching his first TD in game 2 of his third freakin' season but he drops more passes than he catches. As a receiver, he makes a good blocker.

3.) Carlson's not ready for the NFL. They should bring in kickers this week.

A few more thoughts: Thielen and Diggs were great and I'm glad Defilippo started using Rudolph more later in the game. He needs to be a bigger part of the offense than what we saw last week and in the first 2 or 3 quarters today.

The OL needs to improve and play more consistently if this team has Super Bowl aspirations.

The defense has looked pretty inconsistent to me in these first 2 games but they've had some great moments and made a number of key plays so hopefully, they will become more dominant and more consistent as the season moves forward.

What was up with that pooch kick on a 4th quarter kickoff? If I remember correctly, it was a 2 point game at that point with plenty of time left. Why would Zimmer opt to give Rodgers good field position in that situation?

It was a very exciting game! The Vikes almost snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Alas, they blew a chance to win instead. :(
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Wow.

That sums up my post-game reaction.

Carlson is a HUGE liability. 9 crucial points left on the board, including 2 chances to win in OT. I wonder what Zimmer will do with him.

I thought the Vikings really let the Packer defense of the hook for most of the day. There were deep shots there and it sucks that they waited until the end to take more of them. I will give props to the Packer defense though. I thought they did exactly what they had to do against the Vikings offense, and up until around the 4th quarter it worked well for them. Cousins played amazing, especially late. Very impressed with him for the most part.

Vikings defense had its moments too, but overall I thought they played very conservatively. I know Rodgers is good, but nobody wanted to try to jump one of those short routes knowing Rodgers wouldn't have time to let a deeper play develop? They did seem to stiffen up at the end though, and that made a big difference, especially with that last sack on Rodgers in OT. Huge, huge play.

Very disappointed with the refs today. I thought they let the Packers get away with a lot of holding. The play where Rodgers threw it to a guy who had his knee down when Waynes touched him was also a terrible missed call. I'm surprised Waynes didn't protest that more strongly.

It's starting to look like special teams is going to loom large this season. Punt blocked for a TD. 3 missed field goals. A punt into the endzone that should never have gone that deep. Zimmer has some potentially tough choices to make with the special teams. Unfortunately, not a lot he may be able to do at this point in the season. They made their decisions and now are going to have to live with the consequences.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:53 pm We don't have a kicker or 3rd WR.
Getting a better kicker is easy. Getting a really good one... looks like Dan Bailey will be getting a call.

As for a 3rd WR... Josh Gordon? Lots of issues, but undeniably talented.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Why did we release Kendall Wright? I cant remember why.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:53 pm We don't have a kicker or 3rd WR.

Jarius Wright would have been a handy player to have around today, eh?
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Dan Bailey and Josh Gordon...Yep!

I'm done with these young, #### kickers. And Treadwell had his chance. Both those guys cost Minnesota the game.

This is a Championship contender...We got NO time for this.