Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 pm It also wasn't roughing the passer on the hit on Rodgers, so I don't feel one bit bad about the call against Matthews.
Exactly!! All I’m seeing is everyone complaining about the Matthews play. Everyone forgets that the same play happened to Kendricks earlier and it resulted in points for GB. I mean it’s a ridiculous rule but at least the refs stayed consistent with it today. Even though the refs were horrid for most of the day
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:44 pm Great post Kapp. I agree on all counts. I’ve backed Treadwell more than anyone and he had a great td today but those drops were brutal. And yes, cousins is no joke. A lot of complaining about the D in our chat but like I said before, penalties are what walked GB down the field half the time. We had like 80 yards in penalties. And one td was due to poor STs. Cousins lit it up when the game was on the line.

I’ll be flying to Minnesota this weekend for the buffalo game. Are you going to be there? I’m also going to the Sunday night football game against the saints for my bachelor party
No, unfortunately I'm not going until November 4 against the Lions. Would love to be there for both of those games. I'm jealous! But I'm happy to get to see a division game.

We have amazing seats. An employee of my wife's has season tickets, and she always sells us a game at face value every year. The seats are in the end zone, just perfect, right in front of the big glass doors. We're one row down from the concourse. We get a great all-22 view throughout the game, but not too high. Then when the game's over, we turn and walk out the 90-foot doors. We're on the street in about one minute.

Jeez, I love U.S. Bank Stadium. Last year if the Vikings had made it to the Super Bowl, I was prepared to pay pretty much any price for a ticket.

We need to host the NFC Championship Game this year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 pm No, unfortunately I'm not going until November 4 against the Lions. Would love to be there for both of those games. I'm jealous! But I'm happy to get to see a division game.

We have amazing seats. An employee of my wife's has season tickets, and she always sells us a game at face value every year. The seats are in the end zone, just perfect, right in front of the big glass doors. We're one row down from the concourse. We get a great all-22 view throughout the game, but not too high. Then when the game's over, we turn and walk out the 90-foot doors. We're on the street in about one minute.

Jeez, I love U.S. Bank Stadium. Last year if the Vikings had made it to the Super Bowl, I was prepared to pay pretty much any price for a ticket.

We need to host the NFC Championship Game this year.
Nice those are some solid seats. Me and my buddy always sit in section 111. Not a bad seat in that section. 30 yard line behind the away bench. The buffalo game we’re sitting in the front of the upper level. Just because the bachelor party Sunday night game is going to be expensive. We decided to cut back on the seat price to this one. Mu buddy and I said we wanted to go to one game a year when the stadium opened. We went to one the first year, two last year and I’ll be going to two more this year. Saw them beat Houston, Tampa, and Cincy. Currently 3-0!! (Technically 4-0, been to one game in the met in 2012 when they beat Arizona). Gotta keep the streak going!!
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Holy crap.

I just read that Johnny Hekker hit a 20-yard field goal and an extra point for the Rams today.

Johnny Hekker is the Rams' punter.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:04 pm Holy crap.

I just read that Johnny Hekker hit a 20-yard field goal and an extra point for the Rams today.

Johnny Hekker is the Rams' punter.
Maybe Wile can kick for us :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Is it time for my annual fire Mike Priefer chant again? Another head case kicker, blocked punt, below average punting.

Seriously, how many times do we need to replace people until we realize it's the god damn coach.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm Maybe Wile can kick for us :lol:
If he can Drop kick, I think we could actually be golden. Might as well try, right?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 pm Is it time for my annual fire Mike Priefer chant again? Another head case kicker, blocked punt, below average punting.

Seriously, how many times do we need to replace people until we realize it's the god damn coach.
It's a great question.

Special teams cost us the win today. All we needed was average special teams play. Priefer has to be held accountable. And as much as I believe in Mike Zimmer, if he fails to hold Priefer accountable, then he's just as culpable. This was a travesty today.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm Maybe Wile can kick for us :lol:
I know you're being facetious ... but Wile can KICK OFF. He's said to have a big leg.

That's important. If they're worried about losing Carlson's kickoffs (no returns so far) they could go with an accurate kicker and Wile kicking off.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 pm Is it time for my annual fire Mike Priefer chant again? Another head case kicker, blocked punt, below average punting.

I’ve wanted us to fire him for god knows how long now. I remember I was wanting it to happen by when he of all people continued to kick to percy Harvin after we traded him to Seattle and he single handedly beat us on kick returns
-Chazz Palminteri
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

TSonn wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:48 pm 1. Sign Dan Bailey tonight.
2. We should have tried harder for the TD at the end of OT. Our offense was cruising. Carlson was clearly not.
3. Cousins is a great QB and worth all the money we gave him.
I endorse all of these observations.

I was at the game with my 15-year-old son. Drove up from Chicago. When I realized we were running out the clock, I went crazy. What the FU(#!?!! This is a guy who clearly cannot make a field goal, and we're gambling on him making a 35 yarder!?!! Zimmer, have you never watched a Vikings game before!?!! Seriously!?!! WTF!?!!

Dan Bailey better be kicking for the Vikings next week or something has gone seriously wrong.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:06 pmCarlson, I don't know. I don't think they should cut him, but they need to find a more consistent kicker while he matures. I really question the wisdom of going into this season with a rookie placekicker. As much as I want to vent on Carlson, this one is on Spielman and Zimmer.
You really think Zimmer wanted a rookie kicker!?!! I guarantee Zimmer had nothing to do with that decision.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

StpViking wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:13 pmYou guys left out what a great job Brian O'neil did at Right Tackle. After he came in Clay Mathews did not get close to Cousins.
Exactly. O'Neill looked great.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 pmWeird, questionable pooch kick that gave the Packers great field position.
Not sure what the Vikings' thinking was here -- other then the GB upmen are not exactly their best hands men and Vikings may have been looking to create a turnover -- but to suggest that the pooch gave the Pack "great field position" is disingenuous. They started on their own 30 rather than their own 25. So we gave up an extra five yards. Woo-freaking-hoo.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 pm It's taken me several hours to even be able to talk about this game. I feel both devastated ... and hopeful.

Devastated
Because our special teams stunk up Lambeau Field today in multiple ways. Punt block for a TD. Three blown field goals. Weird, questionable pooch kick that gave the Packers great field position. Terrible punt for a touchback. Simply one WTF after another. Mike Priefer, in my opinion, has to be sitting on a fairly warm seat. Average special-teams play wins us the game today. Easily.

Because our first-round wide receiver CAN'T CATCH. I thought when he caught the TD that maybe a light had come on. Maybe THIS was the thing to get his career going. Four devastating drops later, including one that led directly to the Packers taking an 8-point lead with less than 2 minutes remaining, it's clear ... Laquon Treadwell is a bust. If they're going to keep him, I pray he proves me wrong. But at this point, I don't believe he will. It's over.

Because, per our history, we found a way to not win this game. It's uncanny. I'm watching Carlson line up this chip shot at the end of the game, and I'm thinking, "Somehow, we've won this game." Until we didn't. Imagine how much of a springboard this game could have been, scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter to force overtime, then winning. Except ... we didn't. Ugh!

Hopeful
Because we have a quarterback. That was as good a performance as I've seen from a Vikings quarterback in at least a decade, maybe more. How many more completions would he have had without Treadwell biffing passes all over the yard? And the fact that he played like an all-pro during the fourth quarter, when EVERYONE said he couldn't, is the greatest vindication of all. DO NOT TELL ME that Kirk Cousins can't play when it matters.

Because our defense played its a$$ off. I know, Rodgers passed for a few yards, and he wasn't himself physically. But we only allowed ONE touchdown AT LAMBEAU, in perfect weather. We pressured him A LOT, and we toughened up against the run as the game wore on.

Because our O-line hung in there again. In the fourth quarter, when it mattered most, we kept Cousins clean. We need to run the ball better, but I believe we will. Today, it was tough because we were behind.

Because our new offensive coordinator is getting his legs underneath him. Almost 500 yards of total offense today, on the road at Lambeau. There were some truly imaginative plays today that really worked.

Because we have the best pair of receivers in the NFL. Twenty-one receptions for 259 yards and 3 TDs. Are you kidding me?

Ah, the pain of what could have been. Thank God we've got Buffalo coming to town next week.
Great post. My only disagreement is a minor nit pick.