Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by Lars »

Carlson really is young... Admitting that you lost your confidence on the the third kick miss might be honest -- but is also a good reason for the the team to lose confidence in you. The Vikings pay him to kick field goals. If he can't do it, time to call in someone else.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -team-down
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm Would love to see the "hold" that Smith committed to get that INT called back. It seemed odd how late that flag came in.

Anyone see it live or have a video? For some reason, they never showed a replay...
Really want to see it too. The announcers acted like it was obvious and didn't need a replay but it was kind of a huge play in a big moment.

Also, I understand why Zimmer didn't go for a TD since running the clock down gave the team a 0% chance of losing. Plus I think he was thinking "OK, I won't cut this kid if he kicks the game winner".

Way better to find out we have a crap kicker in week 2 than the playoffs!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 pm Agreed and it's nice to see an offense like that.

I see as many reasons for optimism as pessimism after this game (and vice versa, of course). It was that kind of performance.
Yes.

When they were lining up for the final FG try I said to myself, "well, at least we didn't lose to GB. I can live with a tie."

And then we tied and I couldn't stop laughing. Classic Vikings today. The stuff we put up with is insane.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 pm Yes.

When they were lining up for the final FG try I said to myself, "well, at least we didn't lose to GB. I can live with a tie."

And then we tied and I couldn't stop laughing. Classic Vikings today. The stuff we put up with is insane.
:lol: It really is... we're all nuts.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Purple Domination wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm Any idea where the browns are in waiver prorority compared to us?

Bailey is a veteran. He is not subject to waivers can sign anywhere he wants.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm Would love to see the "hold" that Smith committed to get that INT called back. It seemed odd how late that flag came in.

Anyone see it live or have a video? For some reason, they never showed a replay...
Didn't see it but by the way Harrison acted after the int.. He knew it wasn't gonna stand.. He knew he was flagged.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 pm Yes.

My wife was saying hey we can't lose.. I said slow ur roll they can block it and run it back!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

FullWood wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:16 pm Yes O'Neill did do a great job and speaking of Clay Matthews even I have to admit that wasn't roughing the passer.
It also wasn't roughing the passer on the hit on Rodgers, so I don't feel one bit bad about the call against Matthews.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Bigwehrm wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm My wife was saying hey we can't lose.. I said slow ur roll they can block it and run it back!
That thought did cross my mind. The tragic quality of this franchise is haunting at times.

Mel posted this image on her board and I love it:
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

People here are letting our defense of the hook. So many miss tackles today. The front four could not get to Rodgers. This is not how Championship Defenses play.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's taken me several hours to even be able to talk about this game. I feel both devastated ... and hopeful.

Devastated
Because our special teams stunk up Lambeau Field today in multiple ways. Punt block for a TD. Three blown field goals. Weird, questionable pooch kick that gave the Packers great field position. Terrible punt for a touchback. Simply one WTF after another. Mike Priefer, in my opinion, has to be sitting on a fairly warm seat. Average special-teams play wins us the game today. Easily.

Because our first-round wide receiver CAN'T CATCH. I thought when he caught the TD that maybe a light had come on. Maybe THIS was the thing to get his career going. Four devastating drops later, including one that led directly to the Packers taking an 8-point lead with less than 2 minutes remaining, it's clear ... Laquon Treadwell is a bust. If they're going to keep him, I pray he proves me wrong. But at this point, I don't believe he will. It's over.

Because, per our history, we found a way to not win this game. It's uncanny. I'm watching Carlson line up this chip shot at the end of the game, and I'm thinking, "Somehow, we've won this game." Until we didn't. Imagine how much of a springboard this game could have been, scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter to force overtime, then winning. Except ... we didn't. Ugh!

Hopeful
Because we have a quarterback. That was as good a performance as I've seen from a Vikings quarterback in at least a decade, maybe more. How many more completions would he have had without Treadwell biffing passes all over the yard? And the fact that he played like an all-pro during the fourth quarter, when EVERYONE said he couldn't, is the greatest vindication of all. DO NOT TELL ME that Kirk Cousins can't play when it matters.

Because our defense played its a$$ off. I know, Rodgers passed for a few yards, and he wasn't himself physically. But we only allowed ONE touchdown AT LAMBEAU, in perfect weather. We pressured him A LOT, and we toughened up against the run as the game wore on.

Because our O-line hung in there again. In the fourth quarter, when it mattered most, we kept Cousins clean. We need to run the ball better, but I believe we will. Today, it was tough because we were behind.

Because our new offensive coordinator is getting his legs underneath him. Almost 500 yards of total offense today, on the road at Lambeau. There were some truly imaginative plays today that really worked.

Because we have the best pair of receivers in the NFL. Twenty-one receptions for 259 yards and 3 TDs. Are you kidding me?

Ah, the pain of what could have been. Thank God we've got Buffalo coming to town next week.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I watched Zimmer’s presser. He spoke very candidly about GB’s line holding and it not being called. He said they made adjustments at half.

Couple of random thoughts:
Dalvin Cook isn’t standing out so far this year like he did last season. Is it our OL? Still recovering from knee surgery?

Not sure, but Murray looks better out of the backfield so far. I do think Cook looks great catching passes. Seems like Murray’s size helps him get through the poorly blocked trenches.

Where is Iloka?

Mac Alexander had an up and down day, so did Waynes.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm The one that counted wasn't his fault. The one that didn't, that should have ended the game, absolutely was.

You are right, he does have the pieces around him to go a long way. They went to the NFC championship last season with a backup QB. A backup QB who put up very good numbers with these very same pieces.

His game today was very good, I won't complain about it, despite the pick that wasn't. But he does have a long way to go before he will be on the same level as Rodgers. A single playoff win and a record better than 9-7 would be a good start for me.
I don’t agree with the whole record thing. The 3 years he started at Washington, they had the 28th, 31st and 28th ranked defense. Cousins was throwing for almost 4000 yards and 25 tds a season. Their record was not cousins fault. He’s putting up 31 points in a game and they’re losing. The quarterback was doing his job. The defense never was.

I always use Rodgers as an example here. He’s crowned the “best QB” in the game but has made it to and won 1 super bowl in 13 years. Why? Because his defense couldn’t hold up half the time and he had very little for a running game around him. It was all Rodgers. In Washington, it was all cousins. He had no running game either. No defense. Less talented WRs that Rodgers ever had and so on. No less Washington defense was MUCH worse than GBs ever was.

I’m not comparing cousins to Rodgers by any means but when I hear the record thing with cousins it bothers me. He was on a TERRIBLE team. I feel like Stafford gets more credit than cousins. And what has Stafford done? But same deal, always been on a bad team. But Stafford also had a better defense.

Teams don’t win SBs anymore with bad defenses. Look at the NFC playoff teams last year. I think the worst defense was who? Saints maybe? And they were much improved. You need help from your defense if you want to win anything in this league. Cousins NEVER got that. He will here.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

Corrente said the call against Matthews was for lifting and driving the QB to the ground.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2470 ... vable-flag
Viking fan since '65
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 pm It's taken me several hours to even be able to talk about this game. I feel both devastated ... and hopeful.

Devastated
Because our special teams stunk up Lambeau Field today in multiple ways. Punt block for a TD. Three blown field goals. Weird, questionable pooch kick that gave the Packers great field position. Terrible punt for a touchback. Simply one WTF after another. Mike Priefer, in my opinion, has to be sitting on a fairly warm seat. Average special-teams play wins us the game today. Easily.

Because our first-round wide receiver CAN'T CATCH. I thought when he caught the TD that maybe a light had come on. Maybe THIS was the thing to get his career going. Four devastating drops later, including one that led directly to the Packers taking an 8-point lead with less than 2 minutes remaining, it's clear ... Laquon Treadwell is a bust. If they're going to keep him, I pray he proves me wrong. But at this point, I don't believe he will. It's over.

Because, per our history, we found a way to not win this game. It's uncanny. I'm watching Carlson line up this chip shot at the end of the game, and I'm thinking, "Somehow, we've won this game." Until we didn't. Imagine how much of a springboard this game could have been, scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter to force overtime, then winning. Except ... we didn't. Ugh!

Hopeful
Because we have a quarterback. That was as good a performance as I've seen from a Vikings quarterback in at least a decade, maybe more. How many more completions would he have had without Treadwell biffing passes all over the yard? And the fact that he played like an all-pro during the fourth quarter, when EVERYONE said he couldn't, is the greatest vindication of all. DO NOT TELL ME that Kirk Cousins can't play when it matters.

Because our defense played its a$$ off. I know, Rodgers passed for a few yards, and he wasn't himself physically. But we only allowed ONE touchdown AT LAMBEAU, in perfect weather. We pressured him A LOT, and we toughened up against the run as the game wore on.

Because our O-line hung in there again. In the fourth quarter, when it mattered most, we kept Cousins clean. We need to run the ball better, but I believe we will. Today, it was tough because we were behind.

Because our new offensive coordinator is getting his legs underneath him. Almost 500 yards of total offense today, on the road at Lambeau. There were some truly imaginative plays today that really worked.

Because we have the best pair of receivers in the NFL. Twenty-one receptions for 259 yards and 3 TDs. Are you kidding me?

Ah, the pain of what could have been. Thank God we've got Buffalo coming to town next week.
Great post Kapp. I agree on all counts. I’ve backed Treadwell more than anyone and he had a great td today but those drops were brutal. And yes, cousins is no joke. A lot of complaining about the D in our chat but like I said before, penalties are what walked GB down the field half the time. We had like 80 yards in penalties. And one td was due to poor STs. Cousins lit it up when the game was on the line.

I’ll be flying to Minnesota this weekend for the buffalo game. Are you going to be there? I’m also going to the Sunday night football game against the saints for my bachelor party
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri