Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Vs. Packers Postgame Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:15 pm Btw,this loss is on the coaches. They lose nothing by trying for a TD late in OT. Your kicker is clearly a mental case, why do you bring him in at all? I wouldn't trust him with a 18 yarder. We had green bays defense in the ropes, and thielen, diggs, and Rudolph were all going off. Try one play. My God. Be agressive for once in your life.
There were a few questionable coaching decisions. Not challenging the knee on ground reception, pooch kick. But I can't fault for going for the win at the 20yd line with a fg. I tipped ball int or sack and we would be questioning why didn't they just kick the fg.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

FullWood wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:16 pm Yes O'Neill did do a great job and speaking of Clay Matthews even I have to admit that wasn't roughing the passer.
Agreed, but the one earlier against Sheldon Richardson wasn't either. Like I said, the new driving the QB (Read Rodgers Rule) is going to drive me insane.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple Domination wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm Will we have any competition on the waiver wire for Bailey? He is the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL. Coming off surgery, yes, but I’d rather take the chance on that than a rookie with the yips who wasn’t even that good in college. I live in Texas, and as I understand it, the Cowboys cut Bailey more because of salary cap concerns than the way he looked in camp.

If we don’t pick up Bailey, who will it be? Would we ever bring back Forbath? Always awkward after cutting him, but I say yes.
Zane Gonzalez missed four kicks today.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 pm There were a few questionable coaching decisions. Not challenging the knee on ground reception, pooch kick. But I can't fault for going for the win at the 20yd line with a fg. I tipped ball int or sack and we would be questioning why didn't they just kick the fg.
Letting the clock run and playing for the FG wasn't going for the win in that situation, at least not in an aggressive, "play to win" sense. I think most of us would have understood a decision to try for the TD instead of just settling for a FG attempt. I know I would have respected the effort. Placing trust in Carlson to win the game after two relatively bad misses was obviously a mistake and it's not as if we need hindsight to see that it was a risky move. Was anybody here confident he'd make that kick?

I understand the "by the book" approach there with a reliable kicker but a rookie with 2 misses on the day clearly wasn't a "sure thing" with the game on the line.

Did Zimmer learn nothing from his playoff loss to the Seahawks?
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Mothman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm Letting the clock run and playing for the FG wasn't going for the win in that situation. I think most of us would have understood a decision to try for the TD instead of just settling for a FG attempt. I know I would have respected the effort. Placing trust in Carlson to win the game after two relatively bad misses was obviously a mistake and it's not as if we need hindsight to see that it was a risky move. Was anybody here confident he'd make that kick?
Yes, it didn’t even compute in my mind what we were doing for a few seconds. I thought it was a foregone conclusion we would at least attempt the TD.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm Zane Gonzalez missed four kicks today.
Any idea where the browns are in waiver prorority compared to us?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm Letting the clock run and playing for the FG wasn't going for the win in that situation. I think most of us would have understood a decision to try for the TD instead of just settling for a FG attempt. I know I would have respected the effort. Placing trust in Carlson to win the game after two relatively bad misses was obviously a mistake and it's not as if we need hindsight to see that it was a risky move. Was anybody here confident he'd make that kick?
Zimmer said he didn't want to leave time for Rodgers. How does that make sense? It's over time. Clearly he didn't have confidence in his kicker or that wouldn't have entered the equation. And they were at the 20, so even a sack would still keep them in range. It was a poor decision in what I consider to be a disappointing showing.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

It has been a long, long time since I have felt compelled to post on this Board. But I've been lurking at times and certainly continuing to follow this horribly frustrating franchise.

First of all, game balls to Kirk, Adam and Stefon (go Terps!) not to mention our second round draft pick who everyone said couldn't get it done but had an auspicious beginning to his career. Those guys deserved to win this game.

Many of you can blame this on Carlson and Treadwell, but I blame it on the staff who put those guys out there. That kicker should have been gone somewhere during preseason and shouldn't have been drafted in the first place. While Treadwell was a legitimate draft pick (though not a first-rounder), he has swung and missed so many times prior to this season that his metaphorical interlocutors have pitched a veritable no-hitter.

Gentlemen -- pick up an Econ 101 book. Turn to the chapter called "Sunk Costs." Read it. Either that or tell me that I don't have to waste my Sunday afternoons until you leave Minnesota.

I have found in my workplace that ego is usually what turns potentially strong professionals into people that are incompetent at key parts of their job. I blame today's non-win on the fact that our brain trust's egos are so large that they will create every chance possible to disprove that they made a mistake, heaven forbid. Everyone makes mistakes, but excellent professionals admit those mistakes and losing professionals continue to rationalize their decisions and keep digging deeper holes. Those two obvious mistakes -- playing a receiver who clearly can't catch under game pressure and a receiver who clearly can't kick under game pressure -- cost us this game.

Those of you who say "we were lucky even to be in the game because Matthews didn't commit a personal foul" have a gripe with the new rules, not the call. The call was the correct one, or at least arguably correct. The new rules? Those you can debate. If you want to feel better about the tie, think of the pass interference that Gideon committed down the sideline that definitely should have been called but wasn't. Or feel fortunate that Rodgers stumbled over his own feet at the Vikes 40 on 2nd and short in OT. But truly, don't comfort yourself about this tie. This was a disgusting non-win, mishandled by a franchise that hasn't had a great brain trust since they used to go to Super Bowls back when I was a kid and a teenager. The old cliche -- "it's a shame both teams couldn't have won this game" -- hardly applied to the debacle we finished watching.

As for Carlson and Treadwell, if they are on this team next week, then my points apply fivefold. But again -- don't ridicule them. I can't kick or catch either at this point in my life. That doesn't make me worthy of ridicule. The ones to ridicule would be they guys who would put this 58 year old grandfather (me) out on an NFL football field to begin with. Those two players had no more business being on an NFL roster than I do and every Viking backer but our GM and/or HC probably knew that.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Purple Domination wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm Any idea where the browns are in waiver prorority compared to us?
I don't think it matters. Bailey is a free agent. Waiver wires mean nothing right now.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:37 pm I don't think it matters. Bailey is a free agent. Waiver wires mean nothing right now.
You’re right! My mistake.
mavherzog
Rookie

Post by mavherzog »

Oof. I was at church most of the day. I saw that we were getting beat early on. Thought it would be great to at least tie. LOL

Got home in time for the last OT defensive stop and the drive to the last missed FG.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm Letting the clock run and playing for the FG wasn't going for the win in that situation, at least not in an aggressive, "play to win" sense. I think most of us would have understood a decision to try for the TD instead of just settling for a FG attempt. I know I would have respected the effort. Placing trust in Carlson to win the game after two relatively bad misses was obviously a mistake and it's not as if we need hindsight to see that it was a risky move. Was anybody here confident he'd make that kick?

I understand the "by the book" approach there with a reliable kicker but a rookie with 2 misses on the day clearly wasn't a "sure thing" with the game on the line.

Did Zimmer learn nothing from his playoff loss to the Seahawks?
I was confident he'd make it. He missed two longer attempts earlier. I thought theres no way he'd miss a relatively short try . I don't think it was that obvious.

And I don't remember the situation vs Seattle. Did they wind the clock down as well?

My thought is so much can go wrong on any play. A short FG is one of the more high percentage plays I would think.

The only thing I would question about running out the clock is like what yikes mentioned, leave more time in case of a bad snap.
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm Zane Gonzalez missed four kicks today.
oh damm, i didnt know it was that bad. He missed one to tie the game and got blocked to win the game last week.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Purple Domination wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm Will we have any competition on the waiver wire for Bailey? He is the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL. Coming off surgery, yes, but I’d rather take the chance on that than a rookie with the yips who wasn’t even that good in college. I live in Texas, and as I understand it, the Cowboys cut Bailey more because of salary cap concerns than the way he looked in camp.

If we don’t pick up Bailey, who will it be? Would we ever bring back Forbath? Always awkward after cutting him, but I say yes.
Kobra Kai would have made those.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

It drives me crazy that Kirk outplays Rodgers by a county mile and they interview Rodgers after the game and don’t say a word to Kirk. Hurt or not, I don’t care. Cousins was the mvp of that entire game. And the only reason he didn’t have a perfect QBR for the most part was because of his one INt that wasn’t his fault at all.

I was pumped to see Treadwell score and then the wheels fell off for him. I’m throwing the towel in on him at this point unless something drastically changed in the next few weeks. But I gave the guy time and allowed him to get his shot.

Carlson has to go. He’s not a veteran. And we’ve all seen what happens to young kickers when they have a poor performance like that. I don’t know if I can see him overcome that. Of course I want Bailey but I’m even fine with getting forbath back. We’ve had much worse kickers in the past than Kai.

A lot of people were griping about the D but if you look into it, Rodgers was under 200 yards halfway through the 4th and they had 75 total yards on the ground. It was the penalties that walked them down the field. Not Rodgers. And a punt was blocked. Our defense inside the 50 was stellar today.

Overall though, kirk is the real deal. No question about it. He’s got the pieces around him to push this team a long long way
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri