Compton has to go

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Compton has to go

Post by YikesVikes »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:36 pm For that game they rated him as such. Listening to the PFF guy as well as several other people that reviewed the film, they came away with the impression that outside of being destroyed on one play in the first quarter, he wasn't credited with any additional sacks OR hurries and actually played an overall solid game. It could be more our pre-conceived notion about how terrible he is, seeing that god-awful sack happen and watching pressure come a lot on Sunday and attributing a lot of that to Compton when it was actually others. Per PFF, it was actually Remmers that was the weak link. He also confirmed nobody did well in run blocking (no sh*t) and the vast majority of Cook's yards on the ground came after contact (not good). FWIW the PFF guy actually said the Vikings' best line combination may actually be: Reiff-Jones-Elflein-Compton-Remmers and it may be tough going on the ground this year.
No, it was more than just one play. He was dominated and gave up pressure, time and time again. When we doubled teamed his man, he often lost position. He was just bad and PFF was ridiculous.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 am To say he's "never been a pass rusher" doesnt make much sense to me. He's a third year pro and has 9 sacks in his first two seasons. And ended his final season at Oregon with 10.5 sacks. Oh and he also had the MOST QB hits last year by any defensive tackle according to PF

Pretty sure all those statistics equal the definition of a pass rusher. Not saying Compton was good by any means. But DeForest Buckner is definitely a very sound pass rusher.
9 sacks in 2 years is the definition of a pass rusher? Did you just break out the college stats to help your argument? The lone positive stat you produced was the QB hits. Didn't know that stat but it known, that he doesn't have much of a pass rush repertoire. He's not an elite pass rusher I believe was your argument. He isn't and he still dominated Compton.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 pm Buckner will have double digit sacks this season. He's kinda like the Niners version of Hunter. He's definitely a strong pass rusher.

Doesn't mean I'm happy with Compton though. Need to improve.
Easier to do when you already have 2.5 in 1 game. Again, Compton sucks.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 pm No, it was more than just one play. He was dominated and gave up pressure, time and time again. When we doubled teamed his man, he often lost position. He was just bad and PFF was ridiculous.
OK. I get it. I'm just saying that I don't think he was officially credited with additional pressures per PFF or anyone else. If anyone has the All-22, I'd be interested in seeing it and keying in on Compton.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 pm Easier to do when you already have 2.5 in 1 game. Again, Compton sucks.
Well, yeah, but Buckner was low-key being hyped by the Niner fan base and many others on his potential to finally breakout this season. I'm not arguing for Compton, but just leveling the debate that Buckner isn't some nobody.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:36 pm For that game they rated him as such. Listening to the PFF guy as well as several other people that reviewed the film, they came away with the impression that outside of being destroyed on one play in the first quarter, he wasn't credited with any additional sacks OR hurries and actually played an overall solid game. It could be more our pre-conceived notion about how terrible he is, seeing that god-awful sack happen and watching pressure come a lot on Sunday and attributing a lot of that to Compton when it was actually others. Per PFF, it was actually Remmers that was the weak link. He also confirmed nobody did well in run blocking (no sh*t) and the vast majority of Cook's yards on the ground came after contact (not good). FWIW the PFF guy actually said the Vikings' best line combination may actually be: Reiff-Jones-Elflein-Compton-Remmers and it may be tough going on the ground this year.
DP I could agree with that line up. Still not convinced that Remmers shouldn't be playing tackle.
PFF had Harry not even making the top 5 list. But he got NFL player of the week...go figure.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:38 pm DP I could agree with that line up. Still not convinced that Remmers shouldn't be playing tackle.
PFF had Harry not even making the top 5 list. But he got NFL player of the week...go figure.
They apparently dinged him pretty good for giving up the TD and being out of position for a couple of the Kittle passes. Man coverage has been a bit of a weakness for him, if he has one.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:30 pm 9 sacks in 2 years is the definition of a pass rusher? Did you just break out the college stats to help your argument? The lone positive stat you produced was the QB hits. Didn't know that stat but it known, that he doesn't have much of a pass rush repertoire. He's not an elite pass rusher I believe was your argument. He isn't and he still dominated Compton.
I said Buckner was a stud. Never once said he was an "elite" pass rusher. You responded with "he's never been a pass rusher". No I dont need to pull out college stats to help my argument. 9 sacks in 2 years for an INTERIOR lineman is pretty good. He's not a stand up DE on the edge. He's lining up inside. It's not like Buckner is putting up 1 sack a year like Sheldon Richardson did last year. The guy can rush the passer. Not elite no. But he's definitely a solid pass rusher. The stat that he had the most QB hits in the league last year should tell you enough. Guys that have "never been pass rushers" usually arent hitting the QB all that often, no less the MOST in the NFL last year
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:35 pm Well, yeah, but Buckner was low-key being hyped by the Niner fan base and many others on his potential to finally breakout this season. I'm not arguing for Compton, but just leveling the debate that Buckner isn't some nobody.
Yeah nobody here is trying to say Compton was "good" last week. But Buckner is much better than you're saying. And repeating that "Compton sucks" over and over isnt really getting you anywhere.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Everson only had 4 sacks in two years. Only 12 after year 3. I don't think that's the argument.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm Everson only had 4 sacks in two years. Only 12 after year 3. I don't think that's the argument.
He wasnt starting.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 pm He wasnt starting.
It's beside the point. If you have the most QB hits in the entire league, you can rush the passer. Period
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am It's beside the point. If you have the most QB hits in the entire league, you can rush the passer. Period
Besides the point is bringing up the 49er at all. This is about Compton and his inability to be average at his job.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm Besides the point is bringing up the 49er at all. This is about Compton and his inability to be average at his job.
What? We were saying that Compton wasn’t great by any means but was facing one of the better up and coming interior players out there. You said he was never a pass rusher. That was proved to be false with the stats showed. Arguments pretty much over there. Nobody is praising Compton. He had a tough matchup. And I know you, me and everyone else on this board has probably only seen/focused on Compton in one legit game and he wasn’t all that great. He also faced Buckner often. Before we jump the gun after one game, let’s see how a few more play out
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 pm What? We were saying that Compton wasn’t great by any means but was facing one of the better up and coming interior players out there. You said he was never a pass rusher. That was proved to be false with the stats showed. Arguments pretty much over there. Nobody is praising Compton. He had a tough matchup. And I know you, me and everyone else on this board has probably only seen/focused on Compton in one legit game and he wasn’t all that great. He also faced Buckner often. Before we jump the gun after one game, let’s see how a few more play out
It was never an argument. Bucker in his NFL career was not an elite pass rusher. There is a difference between being disruptive and being a pass rusher. Buckner is disruptive and Compton gave up 2.5 sacks. That's not having trouble. That's getting your butt kicked. So he had trouble with a guy that is up and coming. What happens when he has to take on the Suhs, Donalds, Fletcher Coxs and Donetie Poes of the world? I'm sure we won't have to play those guys come playoff time :roll:

Also, He got beat badly this game too. Although as the game went along he played better. The point you and others need to stop dancing around is that he needs to play better or be removed. It's simple. I've seen Compton play more than one game. He's not a rookie and I live in the DC area. Do the math.