Compton has to go

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Compton has to go

Post by autobon7 »

Someone please explain to me why he was starting today let alone how he is on the roster. Isn't he supposed to be Cousins buddy or something? I would hope that is not the reason. Not saying the ol looked great but he stood out as being the worst.....by far imo.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Compton has to go

Post by S197 »

I'm hoping Jones takes his place when Elf comes back but Compton got the nod very early on and never lost it despite the coaching staff getting a long look at him. I'm not holding my breath.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I get that Zim usually will go with vets and he is Cousins buddy but he truly looked awful today.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

He sucked I don't understand why he wasn't benched.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PFF rated him the highest offensive player today :rofl:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:41 am PFF rated him the highest offensive player today :rofl:
Is is opposite day?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I mean to say he shouldnt be on the roster, is a stretch. But yeah he wasnt good today. He did have to face Buckner most of the day who is a stud. But either way, he's more of a depth piece IMO than a starter.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 am I mean to say he shouldnt be on the roster, is a stretch. But yeah he wasnt good today. He did have to face Buckner most of the day who is a stud. But either way, he's more of a depth piece IMO than a starter.
Buckner is a great run-stuffer. He's never been a pass rusher. Compton was that bad.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Some of it is the fact it is just week one and offenses usually do not hid their stride until weeks 4 or 5. The OL had more than it's share of tumult this pre-season, so at least initially we have to give them some time to come together. The fact the center was on the team for maybe 10 days can't be discounted either. Compton might have been the victim of bad protection calls as well as his own poor performance. (we'll never know.) As as I said in my Post Game Thoughts post, SF was a very good interior defensive team. That was the strength of their pass rush. So part of the performance might have been a match-up that favored SF.

All that being said, i'm worried about it also. They didn't look nearly as crisp as the group last year. Hopefully getting Elflein back will shore things up a bit. If this is still looking this rancid in week 5 we've got problems.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:41 am PFF rated him the highest offensive player today :rofl:
Harrison Smith didn't even make the top 5! :confused:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

In my opinion PFF having Compton our #1 rated offensive player is ridiculous.

We are signing former Chiefs guard Bryan Witzmann, hopefully he is Compton's replacement.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:04 pm Buckner is a great run-stuffer. He's never been a pass rusher. Compton was that bad.
To say he's "never been a pass rusher" doesnt make much sense to me. He's a third year pro and has 9 sacks in his first two seasons. And ended his final season at Oregon with 10.5 sacks. Oh and he also had the MOST QB hits last year by any defensive tackle according to PFF
DeForest Buckner delivered more quarterback hits than any other player on the defensive interior last season.
Pretty sure all those statistics equal the definition of a pass rusher. Not saying Compton was good by any means. But DeForest Buckner is definitely a very sound pass rusher.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

He didn't have a good game but it's difficult to tell how bad or good he is. Nobody on this line has had time to gel and they've all been playing musical chairs at various positions all off-season.

I guess we'll see. If he gets cut I'm ok with that but I'm not seeing a ton of options to replace him with. Considering the talent on the market it's more important to stick with the guy that knows the playbook and has experience with the team.

We can't just stick a new (and also probably not very good either) guy who doesn't have any experience with the team into Compton's spot (which was starting) and hope things work out. Spoiler - they won't work out.

It's a less of two evils situation and it's more important for the group to continue to gel than it is to hope some other random left over free agent works out. That's basically a pipe dream.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:54 am In my opinion PFF having Compton our #1 rated offensive player is ridiculous.
For that game they rated him as such. Listening to the PFF guy as well as several other people that reviewed the film, they came away with the impression that outside of being destroyed on one play in the first quarter, he wasn't credited with any additional sacks OR hurries and actually played an overall solid game. It could be more our pre-conceived notion about how terrible he is, seeing that god-awful sack happen and watching pressure come a lot on Sunday and attributing a lot of that to Compton when it was actually others. Per PFF, it was actually Remmers that was the weak link. He also confirmed nobody did well in run blocking (no sh*t) and the vast majority of Cook's yards on the ground came after contact (not good). FWIW the PFF guy actually said the Vikings' best line combination may actually be: Reiff-Jones-Elflein-Compton-Remmers and it may be tough going on the ground this year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Buckner will have double digit sacks this season. He's kinda like the Niners version of Hunter. He's definitely a strong pass rusher.

Doesn't mean I'm happy with Compton though. Need to improve.