Vikings Vs. 49ers Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Vs. 49ers Postgame Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Vikings snap counts vs. 49ers
ByANTHONY BROOME 5 hours ago

The Minnesota Vikings earned a season-opening win over the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday by a score of 24-16 to start the year off on the right foot. Things played out about as expected with the rotations, but there were a few interesting aspects from the snap count report coming out of the contest. Below are the offensive and defensive snap counts via Pro Football Reference with takeaways thereafter.

Offense
QB Kirk Cousins (71 snaps, 100%)
LT Riley Reiff (71 snaps, 100%)
LG Tom Compton (71 snaps, 100%)
C Brett Jones (71 snaps, 100%)
RG Mike Remmers (71 snaps, 100%)
RT Rashod Hill (71 snaps, 100%)
WR Adam Thielen (68 snaps, 96%)
WR Stefon Diggs (61 snaps, 86%)
TE Kyle Rudolph (59 snaps, 83%)
RB Dalvin Cook (57 snaps, 80%)
WR Laquon Treadwell (38 snaps, 54%)
TE David Morgan (30 snaps, 42%)
RB Latavius Murray (14 snaps, 20%)
FB C.J. Ham (13 snaps, 18%)
TE Tyler Conklin (9 snaps, 13%)
WR Stacy Coley (6 snaps, 8%)

Defense
SS Andrew Sendejo (66 snaps, 100%)
FS Harrison Smith (66 snaps, 100%)
LB Eric Kendricks (66 snaps, 100%)
LB Anthony Barr (66 snaps, 100%)
CB Xavier Rhodes (66 snaps, 100%)
DE Danielle Hunter (58 snaps, 88%)
CB Mike Hughes (52 snaps, 79%)
DE Everson Griffen (51 snaps, 77%)
DT Linval Joseph (49 snaps, 74%)
DT Sheldon Richardson (45 snaps, 70%)
LB Ben Gedeon (29 snaps, 44%)
CB Trae Waynes (24 snaps, 36%)
SS Jayron Kearse (22 snaps, 33%)
DT Jaleel Johnson (22 snaps, 33%)
DE Stephen Weatherly (14 snaps, 21%)
DT David Parry (14 snaps, 21%)
DE Tashawn Bower (9 snaps, 14%)
CB Holton Hill (4 snaps, 6%)
LB Eric Wilson (2 snaps, 3%)
https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vik ... 121704341/
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I will say that while the defense did get fooled early on some misdirection, they were absolutely solid in the 4th quarter. The Vikings D does a great job of swarming to the ball, you frequently see multiple guys around the tackle. Sometimes this leads to over aggressiveness and allows for some of those plays to Kittle to be successful. It was either the first or second pass to Kittle and I noticed Kendricks bit really hard on the PA. But they managed to clean that up by the end of the game and defended those types of plays much better. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the series the Niners had that nice drive (w/ 3 consecutive throws to TE's) was also when they subbed out the entire D-line. That may have played a factor.

I think the 49ers are an improved team and while Jimmy made some questionable decisions, that TD throw to Pettis was a thing of beauty. They're definitely not the team from 2017, at least the first half of 2017.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:28 pm I will say that while the defense did get fooled early on some misdirection, they were absolutely solid in the 4th quarter. The Vikings D does a great job of swarming to the ball, you frequently see multiple guys around the tackle. Sometimes this leads to over aggressiveness and allows for some of those plays to Kittle to be successful. It was either the first or second pass to Kittle and I noticed Kendricks bit really hard on the PA. But they managed to clean that up by the end of the game and defended those types of plays much better. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the series the Niners had that nice drive (w/ 3 consecutive throws to TE's) was also when they subbed out the entire D-line. That may have played a factor.

I think the 49ers are an improved team and while Jimmy made some questionable decisions, that TD throw to Pettis was a thing of beauty. They're definitely not the team from 2017, at least the first half of 2017.
Hard to win with Hoyer at QB. Even with no QB, they lost 5 of their first 6 games by 3 points or less (including 2 OT losses). Broken record but SF is not a bad team.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

That was an ugly win, but a win nonetheless. While our defense seemed to always come up with a timely sack, or a timely interception, it seemed the 49ers offense moved the ball pretty easily against our defense. Is that chalked up to first-game jitters, or do you think that Philly game last year gave teams something on our defense?
-- Cory Neville
Green Bay, WI

An ugly win? I agree there are things that need to be cleaned up, but that was a fun win at U.S. Bank Stadium yesterday. Kirk Cousins had two beautiful touchdown throws, the Vikings scored on defense and they harassed Garoppolo all afternoon. I get it that there were too many chunk plays allowed, but let’s not go too far and say the 49ers had an “easy” time moving the ball against the Vikings. The Vikings defense held the 49ers to zero or one 1st down on seven of 12 drives, they took the ball away four times and had three sacks, and they allowed only 3.6 yards per rush.

Monday Morning Mailbag: Breaking Down Sunday's Victory
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:28 pm I will say that while the defense did get fooled early on some misdirection, they were absolutely solid in the 4th quarter. The Vikings D does a great job of swarming to the ball, you frequently see multiple guys around the tackle. Sometimes this leads to over aggressiveness and allows for some of those plays to Kittle to be successful. It was either the first or second pass to Kittle and I noticed Kendricks bit really hard on the PA. But they managed to clean that up by the end of the game and defended those types of plays much better. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the series the Niners had that nice drive (w/ 3 consecutive throws to TE's) was also when they subbed out the entire D-line. That may have played a factor.

They're also having some issues with injury. I think we were lucky McKinnon wasn't in. Their offense is really set up to maximize his skills and all reports say he was looking great.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

veryoldschool wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am I watched all of Kirk's Redskins games and I would say this game is a typical Cousins performance. It wasn't a good game for him or a poor one but it did vary from his typical Redskins game in that he was able to take his foot off the gas. The Skins had a good day running yesterday and the defense played well also but that was not the norm during Kirk's 3 years as a starter. Kirk and his receivers had to really carry the team to keep games competitive and have any chance of winning so he threw it more and for more yards typically in a Redskin game usually but the quality of the performance you saw yesterday is average for him. He made some beautiful throws and made the plays he needed and missed a few.

I think more will be required from Kirk and the rest of the team to win in Green Bay but for the first time in his pro career, Kirk has a running game and a defense to help carry the load. He had some decent receivers in DC but the combo in Minnesota is better also. So Kirk never had anything like the team around him when he competed with Green Bay. I am looking forward to the game and a Vikings victory!
Do I know you? :D

I agree. A steady average game for Kirk. He will have Drew Brees days, Alex Smith days, and an occasional Eli. I think he will be much more effective with the Vikings due to actually having help. It won't be all on him to go 25/31 for 350 and 3 touchdowns or no chance to win like last year. The Eli games will be reduced due to the Vikes not being completely one dimensional. When Kirk is on, he is as good as anyone. When he is average he is top 10. Weird after 45 years to be a Vikings fan.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm going to begin adding this link to the start of every post game thread but if anyone is interested the game day chat starts here; http://vikingsmessageboard.com/mchat/archive?start=900
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brandon Thorn (O-line film/analyst) goes through some Vikings-49ers game film. Worth going through the thread.

https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status ... 0345191424
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am Brandon Thorn (O-line film/analyst) goes through some Vikings-49ers game film. Worth going through the thread.

https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status ... 0345191424
Fun read/watch. Thanks for the link.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Shanahanigans - A look at how the 49ers' playcalling helped George Kittle and others find success in Week 1 (self.nfl)
Submitted 7 hours ago by skepticismissurvival

Kyle Shanahan is one of the most creative and effective playcallers in the NFL, so him against a Mike Zimmer-led defense is must-watch TV pitting two playcalling juggernauts against each other.

In addition to their young HC, the 49ers had a lot of pieces on offense that created preseason hype -- Jimmy Garoppolo was signed to a massive contract extension despite having only 7 career starts, Marquise Goodwin looked like a #1 receiver with Garoppolo last year, Pierre Garcon was returning from injury, Dante Pettis was some people's (not mine) #1 receiver in the draft, and they signed the explosive Jerick McKinnon (who was unfortunately lost to an ACL tear the Sunday before the season started) to run the ball. The 49ers also had a TE who had been gaining hype -- former Iowa Hawkeye George Kittle, who had a great combine performance and put up over 500 yards his rookie year.

Outside zone is the signature play of the Shanahan family. Kyle has continued his father's tradition of running it often, and he has seemingly an infinite number of wrinkles that allow it to be effective play after play. The power of these plays was clearly on display against the Vikings, and George Kittle showed to be a formidable weapon for the 49ers offense, as the plays below show.
Breakdowns with video here:

Shanahanigans - A look at how the 49ers' playcalling helped George Kittle and others find success in Week
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Nice, I don't know who posted this, but I enjoyed their write up.