Cousins got a larger offer elsewhere...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Cousins got a larger offer elsewhere...

Post by PsyDanny »

The Jets, but..

https://sports.yahoo.com/kirk-cousins-l ... 29583.html

Interesting fellow.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cousins got a larger offer elsewhere...

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I watched the video earlier today. Seems like he wanted to come to Minnesota from the start but just wanted an offer close to what the Jets were offering. Cousins calling his AAA agent was amusing. He certainly is an interesting personality.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

These kinds of articles about players will to take less to play with the Vikings coaching staff is good to read. Though perhaps I'm being naive and it's one of those situations where a lot of players say that about their teams? I don't recall it in seasons past with the Vikings though.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

That's an awesome video. Cousins seems like a really solid person to me. Unconventional in a good way.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Wasn't it just a few years ago where the Vikings couldn't attract any high profile FAs? Now they seem to be coming here for less $. This organization is definitely headed in the right direction. The Stadium, practice facility, coaching staff... I keep saying, sign Zimmer long term and it will just be a matter of time before the Vikings win the SB. It may take finding the right OC, or just some added luck but I believe he's going to get the Vikings there.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah the Jets have been a mess
for decades. I am surprised Arizona
didn't pay more when they played
Bradford almost as much. Who can't
stay healthy.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

It's funny how Vike fans and other fans see the same videos and have different reactions to it. Some of them have pointed out that he fleeced the Vikings because he never planned to take the 30. We focus on how strong our rep has become because FAs are taking less to come here. It just funny to me.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:01 pm Wasn't it just a few years ago where the Vikings couldn't attract any high profile FAs? Now they seem to be coming here for less $. This organization is definitely headed in the right direction. The Stadium, practice facility, coaching staff... I keep saying, sign Zimmer long term and it will just be a matter of time before the Vikings win the SB. It may take finding the right OC, or just some added luck but I believe he's going to get the Vikings there.
Totally agree.

Just look at George Iloka. The Bengals released him on Sunday. The Vikings didn't contact him until Tuesday evening, even though several other teams already had called. By 5:30 Wednesday morning, he was on a plane to Minneapolis, and by 11 a.m. he was in pads at practice. AND ... he signed for the veteran minimum.

Guys want to play in Minnesota. I believe it's all the factors you mentioned, and I have faith that it's just a matter of time until we bring home a Lombardi trophy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Hopefully we won't be left wishing he'd signed in NY. These last two performances do not inspire confidence. I wish we had retained Teddy in case :hitfan: with Kirk...If he doesn't pan out and this team winds up with 6-7 wins, all the progress they've made toward building a championship caliber team will be lost...and we'll still have two more years of Cousins to boot.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Most accurate passers the last 3 years.

Brees 70.0%
Cousins 67.0%
Ryan 66.9%
Brady 65.9%
Wilson 64.5%
Rodgers 63.5%

Edit: For the heck of it. Teddy's two years before he was injured. 64.7%

But I'm sure Cousins is going to regress..............

Cousins was number 1 in Passing percentage in 2015. Number 8 in 2016, Bradford was Number 1. Number 9 in 2017. Brees was 1 and Keenum was 2nd. Both Bradford and Keenum's percentages with the Vikings were 6% points higher than any year they played in the past. If Cousins does that, he will hold the record for highest completion percentage in the NFL. Ever. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Cousins also has more deep passes, greater than 20 yard than Keenum and Bradford combined the last three years.

And from the video. I like the fact that even though he has made $46 million in his 6 years, he was living in his in-laws basement.
Last edited by Raptorman on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:10 am Hopefully we won't be left wishing he'd signed in NY. These last two performances do not inspire confidence. I wish we had retained Teddy in case :hitfan: with Kirk...If he doesn't pan out and this team winds up with 6-7 wins, all the progress they've made toward building a championship caliber team will be lost...and we'll still have two more years of Cousins to boot.
This is exactly why I said Spielman's job is on the line with this move. A lot of people disagree with me but I don't see him coming back if he messes this up. It's called "all in" for a reason.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I don't know if we can judge the move solely based on how it turns out. The way to judge it at this point is did it make sense in the context of all other options Spielman (and Zimmer, who was also involved in it I'm sure) had? I mean, is Kirk Cousins legitimately the best option at QB that the Vikings had a shot to add to the team heading into this season, especially based on what other viable options offered and would have cost them? If the answer is yes, then I think the move is justified, even if in the end it doesn't work out for them.

And since all of the in-house options the Vikings had this year signed with other teams, it should be easier to evaluate the move in terms of relative performance, at least this coming year. Keenum is in Denver and Bradford is in Arizona, and both should be the starting QB for those teams when the season starts. Bridgewater looks to be a backup in New Orleans, so unless something happens to Brees, we likely won't get to see what he can do. Still, Bridgewater was slated to be a backup in New Jersey, and will be with the Saints, so I think it's pretty safe to say it was a stretch to expect Teddy to be able to take over the starting job in Minnesota.

As far as starting-caliber QBs available in free agency or by trade, Cousins was pretty much head-and-tails above all other options.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Raptorman wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:57 pm Most accurate passers the last 3 years.

Brees 70.0%
Cousins 67.0%
Ryan 66.9%
Brady 65.9%
Wilson 64.5%
Rodgers 63.5%
Thanks for those numbers. I was a believer already but now I'm sold all the way.

NFC North will be ours this year. I just hope the Eagles or the Rams don't stand in our way to the SB. :govikes:
Tene Quod Bene
veryoldschool
Waterboy

Post by veryoldschool »

Cousins wants to win more than money and chose Minnesota because it offered him the best chance to win. I think he'll like living in the Twin Cities also.