Preseason Week 3 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Preseason Week 3 Post Game Thoughts

Post by S197 »

I'd like to see Sloter with the 2's and see if he has as much success. You see these unknown guys lighting up preseason almost every year. Tyler Thigpen was a preseason MVP. Heinicke another "diamond in the ruff". Don't get me wrong, Sloter looks impressive but it's against a much lower level of talent. Let's also not forget Case Keenum looked pretty bad in preseason. Arif Hasan basically called for him to be cut.

I think they'll keep Sloter because he won't make waivers and Siemian is on a 1 year deal.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Rieux wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 pm I don't really understand what folks have seen in Wieneke on the field. He made a nice play on the go-ahead two-pointer, but what else? I guess I wouldn't object to him getting a spot on the practice squad, but I don't see what he's done to earn one of the 53.

Zylstra clearly has the track record from the CFL (shame it's with such an ugly Packers-looking franchise), though the injury problems he's had this month have really gotten in the way of him proving himself on NFL fields. If the coaches are really confident that he can regain a high level of performance, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him on the roster, though possibly practice squad may make more sense.

Beebe, though, really looks like he could be a find. It's hard not to see him as a Welker/Edelman type—short, quick, savvy, good hands and routes, constantly finding the holes in the coverage. Players with that profile have had a whole lot of success in recent NFL seasons; I would very much like to see the Vikings keep him, and even give him a shot to prove himself in a regular-season game or two. If he gets to be as good as I would like to believe he could, the trio of Diggs, Thielen, and Beebe would seem to be basically unstoppable as a unit.

Finally, and not incidentally, what happened to Stacy Coley? He seemed to be doing really well, but he's been off the field for a while now—is there an injury problem that is threatening to keep him off the roster?
I think Zylstra and Beebe are the 4th and 5th WRs. Wright hasn't shown much and Coley 'can't make the club in the tub'. Caleb Jones will be WR 6 since he won't take a roster spot for a couple weeks anyway, and by then someone else it liable to be injured anyway.

Also, I'm pretty damn sure Beebe is going to be our backup Punt Returner. That might matter with Sherels having a hamstring pull.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:58 am I'd like to see Sloter with the 2's and see if he has as much success. You see these unknown guys lighting up preseason almost every year. Tyler Thigpen was a preseason MVP. Heinicke another "diamond in the ruff". Don't get me wrong, Sloter looks impressive but it's against a much lower level of talent. Let's also not forget Case Keenum looked pretty bad in preseason. Arif Hasan basically called for him to be cut.

I think they'll keep Sloter because he won't make waivers and Siemian is on a 1 year deal.
I don't think there is any change they'll get rid of Sloter. Even if it is against 3s, he has traits that indicate a high ceiling. Naturally, he might struggle against better competition, but Siemian has shown nothing, and I truly believe they could sign a guy off the street and get comparable QB play if Cousins goes down.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:27 pm I don't think there is any change they'll get rid of Sloter. Even if it is against 3s, he has traits that indicate a high ceiling. Naturally, he might struggle against better competition, but Siemian has shown nothing, and I truly believe they could sign a guy off the street and get comparable QB play if Cousins goes down.
I like his arm and mobility. Definitely has a gun slinger mentality about him, which is ok if can be managed. Siemian has been very disappointing even with simple ball placement.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 pm I think Zylstra and Beebe are the 4th and 5th WRs. Wright hasn't shown much and Coley 'can't make the club in the tub'. Caleb Jones will be WR 6 since he won't take a roster spot for a couple weeks anyway, and by then someone else it liable to be injured anyway.

Also, I'm pretty damn sure Beebe is going to be our backup Punt Returner. That might matter with Sherels having a hamstring pull.
If Jones is suspended, he won't count. We will keep 6 WRs with Jones as the 7th possibly.
I suspect it will be Adam, Step and Tred, Coley, Zylstra and Beebe. The only issue with this is it is a very young WR corp. Any injuries and we are basically running rookies out there.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

This is a bit late but i have a neat story about attending this game.

We were seated a couple rows behind Kyle Sloters parents, so our area was especially invested in the last few Vikings drives of the game, it was very exciting. My wife actually captured a video of the 2 point conversion where she had the play going on on the left and Sloters parents celebrating and embracing on the right. She hasn't sent it to them yet, (she wanted to edit it for them a bit, and we have had a busy week) but if i get permission from them i will share it here.
Formerly AADPFan
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Made my first trip to the "bank" for this game. Very enjoyable experience, and while it was pre-season, with 2's and 3's playing, the final of the game was very fun to watch. As they were winding down to 0 seconds left, it occurred to me that Seattle was pretty much at the same spot we were against NO for the Minneapolis Miracle. Glad it didn't turn out the same way.

Only bummer is we were just off one end zone, but not the one where *all* the Viking's scoring was going on. Had a great view of the final play as it was right in front of us-- 2 yards shy thankfully.
Craig S
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Grashopa wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:09 am This is a bit late but i have a neat story about attending this game.

We were seated a couple rows behind Kyle Sloters parents, so our area was especially invested in the last few Vikings drives of the game, it was very exciting. My wife actually captured a video of the 2 point conversion where she had the play going on on the left and Sloters parents celebrating and embracing on the right. She hasn't sent it to them yet, (she wanted to edit it for them a bit, and we have had a busy week) but if i get permission from them i will share it here.
That's awesome!