Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

Post by Texas Vike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm Yeah, I heard that quote. They basically said we should have saved the money. They are kind of (slightly but not really) correct. Case at his best is about average for Cousins. But Cousins' ceiling is much higher. So you take a chance that you can get what Case gave you and much much more.
I think Cousins is much more precise than Case, and was worth the extra $. Time will tell.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:25 pm I think Cousins is much more precise than Case, and was worth the extra $. Time will tell.
I agree fully. Like I said, Case on his best day is Curt slightly above average.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Offense and defense looked sharp. Almost season ready.

Some random thoughts:

Murray looks faster. The running game is going to be fun to watch this year.
Going to be hard to get rid of Sherels. He's always around the ball on special teams.
So glad they signed Diggs.
Hughes looks solid. Doesn't look like a rookie. He's going to be playing a lot this year.
I'd take Sloter over Siemian right now.
Wieneke is huge. Any chance he makes the team?
Cousins. Small sample size but he looked good. Nice zip on the ball. From a pure passing standpoint, definitely an upgrade over Keenum.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think Cousins gives the Vikings the ability to more consistently and credibly threaten the deep part of the field. Case was good at keeping plays alive and got the ball downfield, but he missed some deep opportunities that I think a guy like Cousins doesn't.

What I really liked most about that first drive was how confident Cousins was throwing to Diggs. He threw into some tight windows there and Diggs came up with the ball.

I was also pretty pleased with how the offensive line played. They looked like a solid unit and kept the pocket pretty clean for Cousins while also opening holes in the run game. One preseason game isn't enough to evaluate them overall, but if that is the level of play of this season's offensive line, the Vikings are going to win a LOT of games by comfortable margins given this defense.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:22 pm I think Cousins gives the Vikings the ability to more consistently and credibly threaten the deep part of the field. Case was good at keeping plays alive and got the ball downfield, but he missed some deep opportunities that I think a guy like Cousins doesn't.

What I really liked most about that first drive was how confident Cousins was throwing to Diggs. He threw into some tight windows there and Diggs came up with the ball.

I was also pretty pleased with how the offensive line played. They looked like a solid unit and kept the pocket pretty clean for Cousins while also opening holes in the run game. One preseason game isn't enough to evaluate them overall, but if that is the level of play of this season's offensive line, the Vikings are going to win a LOT of games by comfortable margins given this defense.
In fairness, they were without their best player on Defense.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:27 pm In fairness, they were without their best player on Defense.
And in fairness to the offensive line, they still looked solid.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:31 pm And in fairness to the offensive line, they still looked solid.
:thumbsup:
You said that already. I was concern with Collins. When he moved to guard with the 2nd team, he was blown up a couple of times. Most notably a stetch run to Boone in which he allowed too much penetration. The rest of the line moved the LOS forward but he was driven back and his man caused the play to be stretched out for a notable loss of yardage. I don't see that being a good trait for an interior lineman.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Collins had some nice plays too, he had a nice seal on the screen that sprung Thomas. Isidora did a pretty good job of holding his own and getting to the second level. Edison lacks strength and will be a big liability if we need him for any meaningful amount of time. Compton also looked below average. O'Neill looked okay albeit against lower competition.

Jacksonville will be a better test.

Thomas, Boone, Bower, Wilson, and Hughes were some of the young guys that stood out. Tocho had an int and PD that led to Harris' int but also got beat badly on wheel and seam routes. Holton Hill didn't look like anything special, missed an open field tackle and was around the ball but wasn't really disruptive. I'd keep Sherels and stash him on PS unless he flashes next couple games.

Siemian was probably the most disappointing, thought he would be a solid backup but he really struggled with ball placement.

I like Flip's scheme so far, lot of different personnel packages and misdirection.

Overall a pretty perfect game for the 1's with a so-so performance from the 2's and 3's.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm He played a great defense that has had 4 years of continuity. Not sure why they are crucifying him just yet.
Well, the overreactions work both ways. Keenum's camp performance was so impressive that he had teammates declaring the Broncos would score 30 points per game.

My fear for Case is that he'll struggle with a rather poor offense around him. The team around Case made him look really good last year. He played well, but they played great around him. I really hope it's not as bad for Keenum in Denver as I'm afraid it could be.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 pm Well, the overreactions work both ways. Keenum's camp performance was so impressive that he had teammates declaring the Broncos would score 30 points per game.

My fear for Case is that he'll struggle with a rather poor offense around him. The team around Case made him look really good last year. He played well, but they played great around him. I really hope it's not as bad for Keenum in Denver as I'm afraid it could be.
I don't think it will be as bad. He is on a team with 2 solid WRs and an excellent rookie. He has the weapons and will get to work. Im not a Case fan either.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm Collins had some nice plays too, he had a nice seal on the screen that sprung Thomas. Isidora did a pretty good job of holding his own and getting to the second level. Edison lacks strength and will be a big liability if we need him for any meaningful amount of time. Compton also looked below average. O'Neill looked okay albeit against lower competition.

Jacksonville will be a better test.

Thomas, Boone, Bower, Wilson, and Hughes were some of the young guys that stood out. Tocho had an int and PD that led to Harris' int but also got beat badly on wheel and seam routes. Holton Hill didn't look like anything special, missed an open field tackle and was around the ball but wasn't really disruptive. I'd keep Sherels and stash him on PS unless he flashes next couple games.

Siemian was probably the most disappointing, thought he would be a solid backup but he really struggled with ball placement.

I like Flip's scheme so far, lot of different personnel packages and misdirection.

Overall a pretty perfect game for the 1's with a so-so performance from the 2's and 3's.
I went back and watched Tocho. He really didn't have a bad game and was in on key plays early in the game. I would give him a B+.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:54 pm Going to be hard to get rid of Sherels. He's always around the ball on special teams.
I agree, and it would make me nervous starting Hughes as our punt returner in his rookie season. Sherels has such sure hands, I view it as a huge plus when he’s back there.

Did anyone see much of Holton Hill last night? If so, how did he look?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Seeing a bunch of clips on Twitter where Treadwell is open. On the td pass to Diggs, both he and Treadwell were open. I think it's just a matter of time before he becomes a go to guy rather than an afterthought.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm He played a great defense that has had 4 years of continuity. Not sure why they are crucifying him just yet.
They aren't crucifying him. It was Paxton Lynch the fans booed not Case.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

#Jaguars All-Pro CB Jalen Ramsey was suspended by the team for a week, sources say, after going after local media for what he believes is unfair treatment of his teammates especially Dante Fowler. He authored several tweets in support of his teammates & disdain for local media.
Bit of a bummer, was looking forward to the battle in game and the joint practices.