Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

Post by YikesVikes »

ChicagoViking wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 pm I didn't go back and watch replays, but I thought Tocho got torchoed for two touchdowns, including one really awful misplay on the wheel route. Nice pick of Chad Kelly though.
I don't think so. He was just rated a 90 by PFF. He really played well.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 pm I don't think so. He was just rated a 90 by PFF. He really played well.
I'd be curious who PFF is saying was responsible for those TD's if they're giving him a 90. On the wheel route, it sure looked like him. The only other defender within 20 yards was Holton Hill but he looked like he was covering the receiver. The second was the seam route TD by Kelly(?) later in the game (before Tocho's int). Tocho was the guy in coverage again.

Unless his pass defense and int offset those plays in their rating? I don't really know how they weight things.

He was very hot and cold in my eyes. Has decent ball skills, which as a converted corner isn't surprising but he did have some pretty big lapses. It will be tough to make the squad unless Kease's injury keeps him out for a while.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 pm I'd be curious who PFF is saying was responsible for those TD's if they're giving him a 90. On the wheel route, it sure looked like him. The only other defender within 20 yards was Holton Hill but he looked like he was covering the receiver. The second was the seam route TD by Kelly(?) later in the game (before Tocho's int). Tocho was the guy in coverage again.

Unless his pass defense and int offset those plays in their rating? I don't really know how they weight things.

He was very hot and cold in my eyes. Has decent ball skills, which as a converted corner isn't surprising but he did have some pretty big lapses. It will be tough to make the squad unless Kease's injury keeps him out for a while.
Im going to go back and watch those plays. Despite those he was involved in lots of tackles early in the game as well as several breakups. The INT probably helped push him over the top. I was impressed by his play. But I'll take a 3rd look. :gone:
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 pm I'd be curious who PFF is saying was responsible for those TD's if they're giving him a 90. On the wheel route, it sure looked like him. The only other defender within 20 yards was Holton Hill but he looked like he was covering the receiver. The second was the seam route TD by Kelly(?) later in the game (before Tocho's int). Tocho was the guy in coverage again.

Ok. I looked at the play that gave them 21 pt.
Looks like it was Man on the outside with a LB and Saftey in zone. Tocho flashed to the flats along with another LB (Confusion). The middle LB looks lost (he turns his back to the QB). Tocho is absolutely late in reading the move to the flats, he hesitate like he was expecting a pick play, and he locks on to the QB causing him to loses his man as the TE turns upfield. The rest is 6 points. Definitely on him.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm To be fair, Adam didn't have a catch either. Yes, Laquon played more snaps but I'm guessing Kirk has a better trust with Treadwell than the 2nd and 3rd string QBs . I've also read that Treadwell was open a few times, the td play to diggs for example. I think he's going to have a good year.
I agree with your point about Theilen. However, I also think Theilen has nothing to prove in the preseason so it's not crucial for him to have catches. Treadwell on the other hand has a lot to prove for himself so I hope he can get it going in the preseason.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

“Mike did a lot of good things,” Edwards said. “The attention to detail that he displayed schematically with what we’re asking him to do, for a rookie, was impressive for the first outing. We just look for him to keep continuing to compete every day and keep working on the fundamentals and techniques that we’re asking him to do. Just look for him to be consistent as we keep working down the road.”

Edwards added that Hughes impressed when lining up to defend the slot and as a cornerback on the outside.

“For everything that we’re asking him to do, to play inside and outside, he’s been as good as any that we’ve had in here with the attention to detail with what we’re asking out of him as far as an inside nickel and outside corner,” Edwards said. “He really has excelled. You could see it carry over from practice right to the game, it wasn’t big for him at all.”
Read more
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Was a good game. Cousins was hot, he and Diggs look great together. Theilen wasnt in long enough to get many touches, I hope he gets a little more play time with Cousins in the next few pre season games.

Treadwell had one more catch then I thought he would have.

The Oline played well throughout the game. That was nice to see. I think last year Murray's foot hurt a lot more then we new. Hes like a different RB so far this year. He and Cook could do a lot of damage now that we should have a first class QB.

The D looked good, but then it was the Broncos. I hope Case has a fantastic year.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm Ok. I looked at the play that gave them 21 pt.
Looks like it was Man on the outside with a LB and Saftey in zone. Tocho flashed to the flats along with another LB (Confusion). The middle LB looks lost (he turns his back to the QB). Tocho is absolutely late in reading the move to the flats, he hesitate like he was expecting a pick play, and he locks on to the QB causing him to loses his man as the TE turns upfield. The rest is 6 points. Definitely on him.
And yet ... PFF rated his play at 90.

This is my issue with PFF. They leave me scratching my head.

Nice analysis. You should work for them.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 pm Read more
I've been listening to all the Vikings podcasts the past few weeks.

Coaches and teammates alike have all said the same thing about Hughes ... they're really impressed at his ability to be learning, learning, learning, yet still play fast. He processes information and turns it into action almost instantly. They all say it's very impressive, especially given the complexity of the Vikings defense, and the fact that he's a rookie.

Looks like we might have a good one here.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 pm And yet ... PFF rated his play at 90.

This is my issue with PFF. They leave me scratching my head.

Nice analysis. You should work for them.
I like PFF but I know sometimes they are way off. Sometimes they seem to hit before others realize. For example, Harrison Smith. They had him pegged as a top Safety well before the national media knew his name.