Easton Out for the Year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Easton Out for the Year

Post by Cliff »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 pm It has never worked for us. At best they are servicable. We typically require signing a huge FA.
I have my reservations about the approach but yes, it kind of has.

Last year we made it to the NFCC and our line consisted of 2 undrafted players, a 6th round pick, a rookie 3rd round pick, and a 1st rounder (but as a proven free agent and not a rookie drafted by us).
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I don't think Rick will go after a stud O lineman, we don't have the resources for that , I hope he goes and gets a starting caliber guy who can play either Guard or Tackle as we are very thin depth wise.Maybe he can talk Joe Thomas out of retirement LOL.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm We get a couple of million back for Easton to IR
Only if they cut him and reach an injury settlement right? Easton is on his last year with no dead cap.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:44 pm I have my reservations about the approach but yes, it kind of has.

Last year we made it to the NFCC and our line consisted of 2 undrafted players, a 6th round pick, a rookie 3rd round pick, and a 1st rounder (but as a proven free agent and not a rookie drafted by us).
The goal isnt to get to the NFCCG game. The oline wasnt a primary reason for that. We lost our best/ 2nd best olineman. It hasnt worked.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm Only if they cut him and reach an injury settlement right? Easton is on his last year with no dead cap.
Nope, i could be wrong but I belive when you are placed on IR, the team gets the abilty to use your contract to sign a replacement. I belive we used this in 2016 to get some cap space.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Losing Easton is unfortunate, but it doesn't doom the season by a long shot, nor does it mean the Vikings offensive line is going to suck this year. It adds a variable that wasn't there before, and definitely puts a burden on Zimmer and Spielman to honestly assess the line play before the season gets underway, but they'll have all preseason to do that. And let's not forget, a rookie offensive lineman, no matter how hyped coming out of college, is not a sure thing at the pro level, so even if Spielman had drafted one in the first round instead of the second, Easton's injury would still be nearly as big a potential problem for them IMHO, and might still require the same move(s) to adequately address it before the season starts.

There is always the chance that the guys they have can get the job done. Maybe they developed enough over the offseason. Maybe the Vikes can develop a scheme that allows them to mitigate any weaknesses that show up during the preseason. And if not, Spielman has shown he'll make the moves necessary to keep the team in the hunt. He did it when Bridgewater went down with that horrible injury, and he could do it again. He could make a trade. A vet might get caught up in cutdowns.

And let's also not forget, the team overall is very strong. The defense should compete for the top overall in the league again this year and it's possible they could be even better than they were last year. The offense seems loaded at receiver, TE, and running back. The QB is legit and proven. The OC is legit and proven. This should be a very good team, one that can overcome an average offensive line if that is what it comes to.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm And they were without their star LT. Yet, people on here felt that Oline wasn't as big a priority as CB :confused:
It's called taking the best player available
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am Lost in all this, or at least not mentioned, is how the death of Sparano means even with young or new guys on the Oline, we don't really know anything about the guy(s) coaching them up. We need good players, yeah, but the Oline is so much about technique, positioning and assignment football that they have to be very well coached in order to put it all together. This is all just a major question mark. I hope they figure it out.
Sure we do.

Clancy Barone was the O-line coach of the 2015 Denver Broncos. Yes, those Denver Broncos who happened to win the Super Bowl. The guy knows what he's doing.

Andrew Janocko was Tony Sparano's right-hand man for the past two seasons.

The question isn't what kind of coaching they're going to get. They're going to get excellent coaching. The question is whether the unit can come together with so many injuries and guys moving in and out of the lineup.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 pm It's called taking the best player available
And yet we have 6 cbs now that can start and 1 above average guy on the oline. Cant belive you of all people are in this tread
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 pm And yet we have 6 cbs now that can start and 1 above average guy on the oline. Cant belive you of all people are in this tread
Look, Easton's injury situation possibly hurts the team, but it isn't certain it hurts them. We have to see. We have to trust Zimmer and Spielman to make whatever moves are necessary to keep that from becoming a liability for the team, and accept that maybe the guys already on the roster can rise to the challenge and get the job done.

Having a talented and deep defense is not a bad thing. If the other team can't score, they can't win.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think Easton is underrated. He rarely gets called for a penalty and doesn't get beat as often as others. He is very good. I'm certain they will get a replacement somehow.
Someone mentioned Berger. Is he ready to play? Has he kept in shape?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:19 am I think Easton is underrated. He rarely gets called for a penalty and doesn't get beat as often as others. He is very good. I'm certain they will get a replacement somehow.
Someone mentioned Berger. Is he ready to play? Has he kept in shape?
Easton is good pass blocking but below average run blocking.

Berger is done.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 pm
Having a talented and deep defense is not a bad thing. If the other team can't score, they can't win.
Except this is the NFL and its cery hard to keep teams from scoring. The eagles showed you have to have an offense to win. 2016 showed, you have to have an offense to win. Our defense in 2016 was amazing. We went 8 and 8. I dont trust the oline because we hVe never shown an ability to coach guys up at that position.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:23 am Except this is the NFL and its cery hard to keep teams from scoring. The eagles showed you have to have an offense to win. 2016 showed, you have to have an offense to win. Our defense in 2016 was amazing. We went 8 and 8. I dont trust the oline because we hVe never shown an ability to coach guys up at that position.
You have valid concerns, and the only thing I'd say is that Spielman and Zimmer won't allow the team to go into this season if the offensive line is a major liability. But they'll make moves that are justified and make sense, and what is justified and makes sense is going to depend on what they see on the field during the preseason.

Based on last night's performance, I think the Vikings are OK in holding with what they have. The offensive line looked solid.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:23 am Except this is the NFL and its cery hard to keep teams from scoring. The eagles showed you have to have an offense to win. 2016 showed, you have to have an offense to win. Our defense in 2016 was amazing. We went 8 and 8. I dont trust the oline because we hVe never shown an ability to coach guys up at that position.
I seriously have to disagree with the statement about coaching.

The O-line played reasonably well last year (7th in rushing yards, 11th in passing yards) in spite of having subpar talent. That's coaching. Almost every competent professional analysis of the Vikings last season has come to that conclusion.

Lack of talent? Probably. No ability to coach? Not even close.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.