Easton Out for the Year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Easton Out for the Year

Post by Texas Vike »

Listened to PA and Bareiro (i think) last night discussing this situation. They think the vikings will trade for a #6 or 7 guy from another team. Not a huge cost draft pick wise or salary wise. That seems sensible, but I kind of suspect Rick will go the cheaper route, which is to sign some guys off the trash heap after FA cuts.

I'm more concerned about Elflein's health and ability to play by season opener.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Silver lining...

I believe Easton's 3,000,000 should not count against the cap (correct me if I'm wrong). That money could be part of what is used to re-sign Anthony Barr. Part of the difficulty with Barr is that he is already making 12,000,000 this year and there isn't as much cap flexibility right now or going forward as the Vikings typically have. To keep Barr, they probably need to give him a huge chunk of his money up front.

With Easton's money added to the equation the two sides might be able to find enough room to come together. Kai Forbath also has 500,000 in actual cap room sitting underneath his roster spot which will be freed up. If the team wants to keep 5mil freed up this season, they could offer Barr about 20 million now as part of a deal. If its a 4yr/60 mil range they could spread 40 along the last 3 years, with much of that in the 4th year, and hopefully get Barr for close to 10mil/per in years 2 and 3. The more they can front load that (and the lower the number for the 4th year) the more likely Barr and his team would be willing to agree. For this reason, I still think sending Waynes and his 4,000,000 away for a draft pick is not unlikely. (It also saved 9 million next year. After signing Diggs, the Vikings only have 5,000,000 in cap space available in 2019! not even enough to sign their draft picks, so restructures and releases are going to be coming! Also, guys on rookie contracts are going to have to be contributors, and the pick(s) and cap flexibility are going to have to be the priority: Remmers, Waynes, Sendejo and Rudolph are almost certainly playing their last year in purple as they are sitting on a combined 27 million in cap space in 2019 and none of them are premier players)

Barr could then get 4yr/60 million with around 40 guaranteed structured something like
yr1: 24,000,000 (24 guaranteed)
yr2: 10,000,000 (8 guaranteed)
yr3: 10,000,000 (8 guaranteed)
yr4: 16,000,000 (0 guaranteed)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

mansquatch wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am If The Redskins OL rated higher than ours last year, then PFF really is bunch of snake oil. They started a fan favorite of ours at tackle last year: TJ Clemmings. Are people really going to tell me that a line featuring that guy was BETTER than the one we fielded last season? My response to this will be: Did you watch any of the games?

Losing Easton sucks, but it is hardly the end of the world. They have guys they picked up in FA to fill in, plus we have almost a month of preseason left to get whomever the guy is reps with the starters. Does it suck? Sure.

I really do not get it anymore. We went to the NFFCG last year. They could only have done two things to have a better season: Wi the SB or lose the SB. Thats it. THen, the very next pre-season there is even a hint of injury issues and suddenly the sky is falling. What will it take for you guys to have a little faith in the franchise? For that matter WHO could they have added vs who they did add that would make some massive difference to the team?

I am pretty sure at this point they could win the SB and then Rhodes could have a hang nail the next pre-season and guys on here will predict we go 4-12. Can we play a freaking game or four before we decide the fate of the 2018 season?
2010 says hi.
Last year we went to NFCCG and our oline was exposed. We did nothing to address that. Signing Compton and drafting a OT that isnt capble of playing this season was foolish. This front office has proven time and time again that they have no idea how important a good oline is. Just because we put someone out there doesnt mean they have talent. Outside of Pat, and we took him in the 3rd, we havent invested picks into solid OL. Were are always drafting either 6th rounders of guys we know are projects. This team has a chance to be dominant for a loooong time and we are pissing it away with a #### oline because we want corners to sit on the bench.

Hernandez in the last draft and another first round guard or tackle would give us 3 top flight olinemen on this roster and zimmer could still get off on all the 2nd round corners he could handle. As it stands we have one stud and one servicable LT and were going to waste our window.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

As it stands we have 4 guys at the CB position that were drafted in the first or 2nd round by the Vikings.

We have 0 on the oline. That is a telling stat.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

808vikingsfan wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 pm The Redskins OL graded better than the Vikings OL last year (PFF)
That's hard to imagine. The Skins were playing guys signed off the street 3 days prior to games at times last year. Kirk will have to manage things well like he did last year but at least can win with D here.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 am 2010 says hi. We went to NFCCG and our oline was exposed. We did nothing to address that. Signing Compton and drafting a OT that isnt capble of playing this season was foolish. This feont office has proven time and time again that they have no idea how important a good oline is. Just because we put someome out there doesnt mean they have talent. Out side of Pat, and we took him in the 3rd, we havent invested picks into solid OL. Were are aLways drafting either 6th rounders of guys we know are projects. This team has a chance to be dominant for a loooong time and we are pissing it away with a #### oline because we want corners to sit on the bench.

Hernandez in the last draft and another first round guard or tackle would give us 3 top flight olinemen on this roster and zimmer could still get off on all the 2nd round corners he could handle. As it stands we have one stud and one servicable LT and were going to waste our window.
No. We lost because AP had a major case of fumblitis, we turned the ball over FIVE times and the Saints defense took potshots on everyone. Remove those turnovers and the game is drastically different.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am No. We lost because AP had a major case of fumblitis, we turned the ball over FIVE times and the Saints defense took potshots on everyone. Remove those turnovers and the game is drastically different.
My post was confusing. I've corrected it. I mentioned 2010... not 2009. I was talking about how we went to the NFCCG in 2009 and the team feel apart in 2010. I added the 2010 line after.

When I said "we went to the NFCCG". I was talking about 2017
Last edited by YikesVikes on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

mansquatch wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am What will it take for you guys to have a little faith in the franchise?
I hear ya, but this made me chuckle. Our faith always gets burned by stupid stuff, including injuries. It's a long list. Also, this team has never won a SB and has been around forever...that's why faith is questioned.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Lost in all this, or at least not mentioned, is how the death of Sparano means even with young or new guys on the Oline, we don't really know anything about the guy(s) coaching them up. We need good players, yeah, but the Oline is so much about technique, positioning and assignment football that they have to be very well coached in order to put it all together. This is all just a major question mark. I hope they figure it out.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

https://youtu.be/6AoBSROxy-E

Pay attention to number 71 ( LG). He could have been ours. Chip block, absorb the Lbs rush and redirect him 3 yards away from the running back. Thats what talent on an oline looks like.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think it's obvious at this point that Spielman doesn't believe in drafting offensive linemen high very often. It's not a philosophy that I'm particularly happy with but it's hard to argue with last year's results.

We've got a lot of young guys out there right now. Low draft picks and undrafted guys that Spielman thought could get coached up and perform as well as higher round guys. We're going to need a couple of them step them up and prove him right.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am I think it's obvious at this point that Spielman doesn't believe in drafting offensive linemen high very often. It's not a philosophy that I'm particularly happy with but it's hard to argue with last year's results.

We've got a lot of young guys out there right now. Low draft picks and undrafted guys that Spielman thought could get coached up and perform as well as higher round guys. We're going to need a couple of them step them up and prove him right.
It has never worked for us. At best they are servicable. We typically require signing a huge FA.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I've been reading a lot of good buzz around Aviante Collins out of camp. Maybe he could be the guy. Nice write-up below.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/analy ... ssion=true
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am I think it's obvious at this point that Spielman doesn't believe in drafting offensive linemen high very often. It's not a philosophy that I'm particularly happy with but it's hard to argue with last year's results.

Its clearly philosophical or strategic at this point. Hopefully the buzz on Isadora and Collins is not baseless, and Elflein recovers soon. There is not going to be money to retain players like Rashod Hill, or acquire other FAs after this year so we've got to see our young guys step up.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:43 pm I've been reading a lot of good buzz around Aviante Collins out of camp. Maybe he could be the guy. Nice write-up below.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/analy ... ssion=true
All things considered, I wonder if it would be ideal to see Compton or Isadora win the G spot so Collins can remain in the jumbo package. He and Morgan both did really well in those opportunities. On the other hand, if you plug Collins in at G, it could provide a great opportunity for Ryan O'neill to take over that role in the jumbo package and get some reps so he can take over at RT next year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins