How do you feel about watching the preseason?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

How do you feel about watching the preseason?

Post by 720pete »

After last year watching the preseason when the Vikings looked awful all four games and then in the regular season went 13-3 and to the NFC championship game, I'm itching to watch me some Vikings football. But, I plan to avoid the preseason games, how do you guys feel?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: How do you feel about watching the preseason?

Post by mansquatch »

I watch it more to see the newer players and who flashes. Always have to take it with a grain of salt since you are not seeing game day level of preparation or scheming.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I watch the preseason to look at individual effort. I want to see how Treadwell looks. I want to see how Cousins looks. How the oline looks in a worst case scenario situation and 2 or more starters are out.

I don't think we can look at the final outcomes as an indication for the actual season but it can give you signals about certain players. I'll never forget Adrian Peterson's first preseason. You could tell right away the kind of player he was.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I watch. But I only watch because I love watching the Minnesota Vikings. I absolutely live for the football season.

As for the games, I couldn't care less. They mean absolutely nothing. It's fun to watch certain players, but even for that, I don't put much stock in it. Last year was a perfect example. The offense, other than Dalvin Cook showing a little burst against Seattle, couldn't get out of its own way. They were terrible. Then they went out and hung 470 yards on New Orleans in the season opener.

If I'm interested in anything specific, it's to see the tempo surrounding DeFilippo's offense. He's a high-energy guy who believes in playing up-tempo. I want to see if the Vikings are sharp, if they seem prepared for each play, if they're playing fast but not hurried. Stuff like that.

Mostly, I just want to see our guys in purple back in action.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I can't wait.

Hughes, Hill, Aruna, Carlson, Boone, O'neill, Zylstra. I also want to see more of Sloter.

Still bumbed about Hercules.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I watch it every year no matter what. It gives fans an opportunity to see the potential in some of these draft picks that arent day 1 starters.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Watching Jets falcons. Bridgewater looks sharp so far. I still see him wearing purple. Sigh.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 pm Watching Jets falcons. Bridgewater looks sharp so far. I still see him wearing purple. Sigh.
I feel you.

I only can really watch Vikings preseason. Other teams, save for a player or two, don't really interest me. Maybe the third games I'll be more interested.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

I watch preseason just to see individual talent or if im extremely bored and have nothing better to do or watch.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Based on what I'm seeing tonight against Denver, I'm feeling JUST FINE about watching the preseason.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 pm Based on what I'm seeing tonight against Denver, I'm feeling JUST FINE about watching the preseason.
Roc Thomas GOAT!!!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 pm Roc Thomas GOAT!!!
Nice acceleration on that second TD.

Enjoyed seeing Cousins go 4 for 4. That was a heck of a throw and catch to Diggs to set up another throw to Diggs for the first TD.

Special teams needs to get better.

Tocho had a mercurial night: got burned for two TDs, but then redeemed himself with a pick. Liked seeing how excited Xavier got for him on the sideline. Seems like he and Diggs have similar roles for their position group.
Vikesguy71
Waterboy

Post by Vikesguy71 »

Football by far is the best sport to watch. Preseason or regular season I love it all. If we had the worst team in the NFL I would still watch. Only twenty games if you don't make the playoffs is not enough for a diehard like me.

The Vikings will be a top four team in the league. We play injury free and protect are franchise qb we will go along way this season.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Bridgewater with another nice game
Daniel Jeremiah
‏@MoveTheSticks
2h2 hours ago

Always interesting how opinions can change after you study the tape vs watching on TV. I thought Teddy Bridgewater played well last night while watching live. I was wrong. He played OUTSTANDING. Pocket movement, vision, poise, ball placement...all exceptional.
Charley Casserly@CharleyCasserly

What Bridgewater has done better with @nyjets is he has been more accurate deep and shown a stronger arm than before he got hurt @Vikings @nflnetwork 3:56 PM - Aug 16, 2018
He looked masterful on Thursday, showing no signs of being limited by his devastating knee injury as he dodged and took hits, and dropped some dimes to his receivers, including this bad boy into the endzone. Through two preseason games, Teddy has completely 17 of 23 passes passes for 212 yards, two TDs, one interception and a 113.0 passer rating.
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sp ... ns-love-it
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 pm Bridgewater with another nice game
I saw that too. I wonder if he has any real chance of starting for the Jets. If not I think he'll definitely be traded now.

Teddy Bridgewater's rise adds intrigue to Jets' QB fray
It's worth noting, however, that Darnold received little help from a shaky offensive line that added precious few reinforcements in the offseason.

Through two preseason games, the former USC star has completed 21 of 29 passes (72.4 percent) for 158 yards (5.45 YPA), one touchdown, one interception and an 82.3 passer rating. More problematic, he's led just two scoring drives in 10 possessions.
Where Bridgewater has the advantage thus far is in decision-making, uncanny ball placement and a willingness to pull the trigger on deeper throws. Through two games, he has completed 17 of 23 passes (73.9 percent) for 212 yards (9.2 YPA), two touchdowns, one interception and a 113.0 passer rating.

Perhaps most promising from the perspective of teams weighing the cost-benefit analysis of surrendering draft capital in trade talks, Bridgewater has moved well in and out of the pocket and bounced right back after taking a hit to his lower legs. NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly believes the Jets' version of Bridgewater might end up being an improvement on the player who earned the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award with the Vikings in 2014.