Diggs!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

New contract lets Stefon Diggs fulfill late father’s request

Post by Cliff »

“It means a lot to me because my dad sat me down a couple months before he passed away,” Diggs said, via the Pioneer Press. “He just told me, ‘Look after your brothers. Look after your mom. Look after your family.’ That meant a lot to me. With this day coming forward, it just came full circle. I have a lot of emotions.”
Read more
Cliff
Site Admin

With Stefon Diggs getting paid, Adam Thielen may be in line for a raise

Post by Cliff »

Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs is getting paid like a No. 1, even though he was No. 2 in production last year to Adam Thielen. And Thielen is getting paid like a No. 2. Or No. 3.

Diggs now sits at $14.4 million per year, nearly $10 million more per year than Thielen’s annual average of $4.8 million. Per a league source, Thielen and the Vikings talked about an adjusted deal in March. At this point, the thinking is that the sudden gap between Diggs and Thielen won’t be closed until after the 2018 season.
Read more
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: New contract lets Stefon Diggs fulfill late father’s request

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 am Read more
This is why I love Diggs. So glad we extended him. :rock: :beerock: :v):
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Diggs!!!

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 pm I love this.

Diggs is such a great receiver and a good person. The best is yet to come with this guy.

Think about this. In Diggs' three seasons, he's only had one quarterback, Sam Bradford, who could really take advantage of his ability to get deep. But the Vikings couldn't protect Bradford long enough for him to actually throw deep. Kirk Cousins is one of the best deep-ball passers in the NFL. John DeFilippo is a guy who loves to take shots.

Stefon Diggs could have a huge season.
Cousin is one of the worst deep ball passers. It's his biggest weakness
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:06 pm Cousin is one of the worst deep ball passers. It's his biggest weakness
Uh...

He had a 106.4 on the deep ball last year. The year before that he was among the top 3 deep past throwers. So no. The deep ball isn't a weakness of his.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:20 pm Uh...

He had a 106.4 on the deep ball last year. The year before that he was among the top 3 deep past throwers. So no. The deep ball isn't a weakness of his.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... wers-of-17
Actually it was:

Passer rating: 93.8 (10th).
Completion rate: 31 percent (14th).
Percentage of yards: 29.6 percent (15th).
Touchdown rate: 13.8 percent (sixth).

These stats speak nothing of ball placement and accuracy. He has had success but he misses deep more than he should. His accuracy isn't very good deep. I can try to link to more articles to prove my point but living in Wash D.C, I've seen enough to tell you its the one part of his game that needs the most work.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:20 pm Uh...

But respect where it is due. He isn't one of the worst in the league.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

If anything, with actual quality receivers, Kirk shouldn't have any problems in the deep game. He can't be any more inconsistent in his throws than Case Keenum.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:11 pm If anything, with actual quality receivers, Kirk shouldn't have any problems in the deep game. He can't be any more inconsistent in his throws than Case Keenum.
Agreed. Case had ball placement issues. Plenty of short passes that should have had some YAC became contested catches. I'm a fan of this signing btw.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:35 pm http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... wers-of-17
Actually it was:

Passer rating: 93.8 (10th).
Completion rate: 31 percent (14th).
Percentage of yards: 29.6 percent (15th).
Touchdown rate: 13.8 percent (sixth).

These stats speak nothing of ball placement and accuracy. He has had success but he misses deep more than he should. His accuracy isn't very good deep. I can try to link to more articles to prove my point but living in Wash D.C, I've seen enough to tell you its the one part of his game that needs the most work.
Is it possible that living in D.C. has biased you against Kirk Cousins? I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that most stuff I read from that area is pretty much anti-Cousins, and the talking heads in that area were never kind to the guy.

Remember also that Kirk Cousins was throwing to pretty much nobody last year. Their receiving corps was terrible. Go back to 2016 when DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon were there. I don't know where Cousins ranked in deep ball stats that season, but that was a much better receiving corps. I wouldn't be surprised if his standing was better.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:03 pm Is it possible that living in D.C. has biased you against Kirk Cousins? I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that most stuff I read from that area is pretty much anti-Cousins, and the talking heads in that area were never kind to the guy.

Remember also that Kirk Cousins was throwing to pretty much nobody last year. Their receiving corps was terrible. Go back to 2016 when DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon were there. I don't know where Cousins ranked in deep ball stats that season, but that was a much better receiving corps. I wouldn't be surprised if his standing was better.
In 2016, I think he was third. It is possible that the talking heads have influenced my view of him but to be honest, I usually disagree with the media on their evaluations of players. I don't think Kurt is a bad QB at all. I think he is the best QB we have had here in some time (I'm a Bridgewater apologizer). However, he has his warts and this front office has not done enough to help him be the best player he can be. It is too early for out oline to look the way it does. We might be able to get thru the season but I believe our oline will be our downfall.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm In 2016, I think he was third. It is possible that the talking heads have influenced my view of him but to be honest, I usually disagree with the media on their evaluations of players. I don't think Kurt is a bad QB at all. I think he is the best QB we have had here in some time (I'm a Bridgewater apologizer). However, he has his warts and this front office has not done enough to help him be the best player he can be. It is too early for out oline to look the way it does. We might be able to get thru the season but I believe our oline will be our downfall.
I think it's too early to tell what the front office has or hasn't done for Kirk Cousins.

Again, let me say this about John DeFilippo ... the guy is one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. All you have to do is go to YouTube and watch any of his "Tape Study" videos from his Eagles days, ane you'll see that he really knows what he's doing, especially with quarterbacks. His reputation around the NFL is that he's a master of quarterback play in the red zone, and his work with Nick Foles proves it. First game Foles started after Wentz went down, he had 4 TD passes, all in the red zone. Not coincidentally, one of Kirk Cousins' warts is red-zone play. So to me, that's an example of the front office doing something major to help Cousins become the best player he can be.

As for Diggs, which of course is the topic of the thread, I believe Diggs will benefit most of all from having Kirk Cousins on the roster and John DeFilippo calling the shots. He's had Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum throwing to him through his career. Bridgewater and Keenum are not great deep-ball throwers, and Bradford was under so much pressure that he rarely did it. However, look at the games where the Vikings protected Bradford ... those were also Diggs' best games. If DeFilippo can find a way to get Cousins some time, whether that's with the O-line or by moving the pocket, I believe Stefon Diggs has the speed, quickness and route-running ability to beat a lot of people down the field. He could have a big year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 pm I think it's too early to tell what the front office has or hasn't done for Kirk Cousins.

Again, let me say this about John DeFilippo ... the guy is one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. All you have to do is go to YouTube and watch any of his "Tape Study" videos from his Eagles days, ane you'll see that he really knows what he's doing, especially with quarterbacks. His reputation around the NFL is that he's a master of quarterback play in the red zone, and his work with Nick Foles proves it. First game Foles started after Wentz went down, he had 4 TD passes, all in the red zone. Not coincidentally, one of Kirk Cousins' warts is red-zone play. So to me, that's an example of the front office doing something major to help Cousins become the best player he can be.

As for Diggs, which of course is the topic of the thread, I believe Diggs will benefit most of all from having Kirk Cousins on the roster and John DeFilippo calling the shots. He's had Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum throwing to him through his career. Bridgewater and Keenum are not great deep-ball throwers, and Bradford was under so much pressure that he rarely did it. However, look at the games where the Vikings protected Bradford ... those were also Diggs' best games. If DeFilippo can find a way to get Cousins some time, whether that's with the O-line or by moving the pocket, I believe Stefon Diggs has the speed, quickness and route-running ability to beat a lot of people down the field. He could have a big year.
I expect Kirk to have a big year. Im concerned about post season. Our offense was manhandled in Phi. Most of that fell on the line. Were worst today
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 am I expect Kirk to have a big year. Im concerned about post season. Our offense was manhandled in Phi. Most of that fell on the line. Were worst today
I was listening to a Vikings podcast the other day, and Paul Allen was asking Zimmer whether he's spent time talking with John DeFilippo about what the Eagles uncovered that worked against the Vikings' defense. Zimmer said they had actually spent a LOT of time talking about that and going over film. I know that only addresses what worked against our defense, but I have to believe they have also talked about what might work against Philly's great defense, since the Eagles' offense went against it every day in practice.

Doug Pederson uncovered something against the Vikings (or perhaps New Orleans did in the 4th quarter in the division game, and Pederson simply ran with it). It should help to know what it was.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:48 pm I was listening to a Vikings podcast the other day, and Paul Allen was asking Zimmer whether he's spent time talking with John DeFilippo about what the Eagles uncovered that worked against the Vikings' defense. Zimmer said they had actually spent a LOT of time talking about that and going over film. I know that only addresses what worked against our defense, but I have to believe they have also talked about what might work against Philly's great defense, since the Eagles' offense went against it every day in practice.

Doug Pederson uncovered something against the Vikings (or perhaps New Orleans did in the 4th quarter in the division game, and Pederson simply ran with it). It should help to know what it was.
RPO. Freeze the Lbs with the threat of the run and drop it in behind them. I'll try and find the breakdown I read a few weeks back that detailed it.