OL Coach Tony Sparano Passes Away at 56

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: OL Coach Tony Sparano Passes Away at 56

Post by Texas Vike »

Way too young, coach Sparano, especially sad that those grandkids won't have a chance to get to know him as they would have.

Tough way to start a season; hopefully the team can rally and play inspired ball devoted to his memory.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Does anyone else find it incomprehensible that a 56 year old goes to the hospital for chest pains, is tested and released, and then dies four days later of heart disease? Perhaps I live a sheltered life from the harsh medical realities of this world, but I find this alarming.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 pm Does anyone else find it incomprehensible that a 56 year old goes to the hospital for chest pains, is tested and released, and then dies four days later of heart disease? Perhaps I live a sheltered life from the harsh medical realities of this world, but I find this alarming.
When I read that part I was so pissed.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Awful news. Prayers out to the Sparano family
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

:r
dead_poet wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:07 am When I read that part I was so pissed.
My understanding is they needed time for the test results, and nothing they were able to see right away showed anything wrong. I saw a Facebook post that had links to articles about similar situation. It really does suck though...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:46 pm :r

My understanding is they needed time for the test results, and nothing they were able to see right away showed anything wrong. I saw a Facebook post that had links to articles about similar situation. It really does suck though...
So you don't hold him overnight for observation?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am So you don't hold him overnight for observation?
It's tough to second guess a doctor without having more information. For example; a lot of people don't like staying in hospitals. Did he start feeling fine and decide he didn't want to stay?

The doctor could have been negligent, someone could have misread a test, etc. With the money he had his doctor was probably no slouch though ...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am So you don't hold him overnight for observation?
First, the doctors can't make him stay. It's entirely possible that he asked to leave. Second, if tests come back all good, why would they have him stay? I don't know details, but I would assume if he was still in pain they would have kept him. I'm sure 99.999% of the time in cases like this, the patient is fine and noting happens. This just happens to be in if the 0.001% that ended poorly. The other thing is, it is possible that they couldn't have helped him at all. If it is his time, it's his time whether doctors intervene or not.
My point is, I am not faulting the doctors here, unless I hear they did something neglectful.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Cliff wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 pm It's tough to second guess a doctor without having more information. For example; a lot of people don't like staying in hospitals. Did he start feeling fine and decide he didn't want to stay?

The doctor could have been negligent, someone could have misread a test, etc. With the money he had his doctor was probably no slouch though ...
I didn't see this before I responded, but I agree. It is certainly possible that someone messed up, but I am giving them the benefits of the doubt jntul I hear otherwise.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Huge loss to the coaching staff. I always thought he was one of the best oline coaches in the NFL. Too young.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.