Offseason Thoughts on Our NFC Compatriots

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Offseason Thoughts on Our NFC Compatriots

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Defense travels. Ours is going to be better than ever. With Zimmer's scheme, it's all about knowing what you're supposed to do and when. Most of these guys have been in the system for 4 years, and they communicate so well. Our defense is going to be really good, and that means we win the division with 11 or 12 wins, in spite of a tough schedule. Green Bay will be as good as Rodgers takes them because they have little else. This idea that their secondary is improved is a joke. Even if these corners become stars, they're rookies this year. You don't win division titles with two rookie corners, a pass rush that scares no one, and zero running game. They'll be in a lot of 35-31 games. I have them making the Wild Card, mostly because of Rodgers.

I think the Rams could regress. They'll benefit from playing in what I believe will be a weak division, but I don't think they're going to win as many as last year. Having a lot of free agent talent doesn't always translate to performance on the field. Wonderboy McVay is in for a big challenge molding all these personalities. Talib, Peters and Suh will be a handful. They'll win the division, but only because San Fran's schedule is brutal, Arizona is Arizona, and Seattle may implode before it's over.

The Saints are the best team in the South, but I'm not convinced they'll win it. I don't think as highly of Sean Payton as a lot of people. He's had 6 winning seasons and 5 losing seasons, and that's with Drew Brees at QB. I don't trust their defense. I believe Atlanta has a better roster, and Carolina manages to contend in spite of Cam Newton.

The east is a total toss-up after Philly. Dallas has the running game, but I don't think Prescott is all that, and their receiving corps is thin. Plus, I think Jason Garrett is a terrible coach. The Giants will be interesting. They've got some nice pieces on defense, and Pat Shurmur should make their offense pretty good, especially with Saquon Barkley. I just don't trust Eli Manning at this stage of his career, and I think they miss the playoffs -- barely. Washington could lose 12 games. Philly, of course, is the defending champion, and their roster is sick, so they figure to be good. I want to see two things. 1. How does the offense fare without either Frank Reich or John DeFilippo? 2. How much does Nick Foles have to play before Carson Wentz is ready? If it's more than a few games, I believe he'll get exposed. It won't matter, though. They'll win at least 11 games and are probably the favorite for the No. 1 seed (but don't count out our Vikings).

My predictions
East: Philly
North: Vikings
South: Falcons
West: Rams
Wild Card: Saints, Packers
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Well said. I agree completely.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm really curious about Philly. I get why they will be favorites, they won it, and I'm not about to diminish that. However, emotion is part of football and when teams get that edge, they play above their norm. I wonder if the fact that they had such a chip on their shoulder on defense during the playoffs after the Wentz injury will translate into the 2018 regular season? I'm not sure it will? If they get beat down a bit and lose a few games, are they going to bounce back? They had all the momentum in the world last season and that plays into confidence also. It will be interesting to see if they can be resilient and roll with some punches or if they'll lose their edge.

Really excited for football to start. I just love the NFL.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Great analysis J Kapp.
mansquatch wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 am Really excited for football to start. I just love the NFL.
I hear you, brother! :v):
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 pm Defense travels. Ours is going to be better than ever. With Zimmer's scheme, it's all about knowing what you're supposed to do and when. Most of these guys have been in the system for 4 years, and they communicate so well. Our defense is going to be really good, and that means we win the division with 11 or 12 wins, in spite of a tough schedule. Green Bay will be as good as Rodgers takes them because they have little else. This idea that their secondary is improved is a joke. Even if these corners become stars, they're rookies this year. You don't win division titles with two rookie corners, a pass rush that scares no one, and zero running game. They'll be in a lot of 35-31 games. I have them making the Wild Card, mostly because of Rodgers.

I think the Rams could regress. They'll benefit from playing in what I believe will be a weak division, but I don't think they're going to win as many as last year. Having a lot of free agent talent doesn't always translate to performance on the field. Wonderboy McVay is in for a big challenge molding all these personalities. Talib, Peters and Suh will be a handful. They'll win the division, but only because San Fran's schedule is brutal, Arizona is Arizona, and Seattle may implode before it's over.

The Saints are the best team in the South, but I'm not convinced they'll win it. I don't think as highly of Sean Payton as a lot of people. He's had 6 winning seasons and 5 losing seasons, and that's with Drew Brees at QB. I don't trust their defense. I believe Atlanta has a better roster, and Carolina manages to contend in spite of Cam Newton.

The east is a total toss-up after Philly. Dallas has the running game, but I don't think Prescott is all that, and their receiving corps is thin. Plus, I think Jason Garrett is a terrible coach. The Giants will be interesting. They've got some nice pieces on defense, and Pat Shurmur should make their offense pretty good, especially with Saquon Barkley. I just don't trust Eli Manning at this stage of his career, and I think they miss the playoffs -- barely. Washington could lose 12 games. Philly, of course, is the defending champion, and their roster is sick, so they figure to be good. I want to see two things. 1. How does the offense fare without either Frank Reich or John DeFilippo? 2. How much does Nick Foles have to play before Carson Wentz is ready? If it's more than a few games, I believe he'll get exposed. It won't matter, though. They'll win at least 11 games and are probably the favorite for the No. 1 seed (but don't count out our Vikings).

My predictions
East: Philly
North: Vikings
South: Falcons
West: Rams
Wild Card: Saints, Packers
Great post Kapp. I think the saints win that division but it’s a tough call. That division is loaded. The NFC is so much better than the AFC it’s not even funny. Of course when we have our best roster the rest of the NFC is loaded!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:56 pm Great post Kapp. I think the saints win that division but it’s a tough call. That division is loaded. The NFC is so much better than the AFC it’s not even funny. Of course when we have our best roster the rest of the NFC is loaded!
This is what's slightly annoying about the Patriots lovefest in the media. What they've been able to do is impressive, no doubt, but lets have a little perspective here, they beat the Titans and the Jaguars to get to the SB. I seriously doubt they're nearly as successful had they been in the NFC. Not to mention the freaking Bills made the playoffs.

Then you look at the NFC... it's stacked from top seed to wildcard. And even amongst teams that didn't get in, I think a lot of those teams would have in the AFC.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:51 pm This is what's slightly annoying about the Patriots lovefest in the media. What they've been able to do is impressive, no doubt, but lets have a little perspective here, they beat the Titans and the Jaguars to get to the SB. I seriously doubt they're nearly as successful had they been in the NFC. Not to mention the freaking Bills made the playoffs.

Then you look at the NFC... it's stacked from top seed to wildcard. And even amongst teams that didn't get in, I think a lot of those teams would have in the AFC.
Exactly. The bills and titans don’t even come close to making the playoffs in the NFC. And in regards to the patriots, their division is disgustingly bad. The bills, jets and dolphins will all be under .500 this year. I think it was sporting news that posted their record predictions for everyone this year. They had the dolphins 2nd in the division at 4-12 :lol: That’s pathetic. Outside of NE, Pit and maybe Jacksonville, the AFC is a pile of garbage.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 pm Exactly. The bills and titans don’t even come close to making the playoffs in the NFC. And in regards to the patriots, their division is disgustingly bad. The bills, jets and dolphins will all be under .500 this year. I think it was sporting news that posted their record predictions for everyone this year. They had the dolphins 2nd in the division at 4-12 :lol: That’s pathetic. Outside of NE, Pit and maybe Jacksonville, the AFC is a pile of garbage.
I think even Jacksonville is sorta garbage. They got four of their 10 wins against Houston and Indy last year (each 4-12) and another against 0-16 Cleveland. That's half their wins against teams with a combined W-L of 8-40. Meanwhile, they lost twice to the Titans, surrendered 256 yards on the ground in a loss to the 5-11 Jets, and lost to Arizona.

With Deshaun Watson back in Houston, the Texans may actually be a better team. And if Andrew Luck plays for Indy, I doubt Jacksonville sweeps the Colts again. I'd say that if Blake Bortles doesn't take a real step forward, Jax could miss the playoffs.

As for the Patriots, how tough is it to make the playoffs when your division is a dumpster fire? They're all but guaranteed 6 wins every year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.