Shuffling Combinations, Facing Fierce Defense Benefit O-Line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Read more
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Shuffling Combinations, Facing Fierce Defense Benefit O-Line

Post by Cliff »

Promoted because I thought it was a good read and offers more insight into how the offensive line works.
“This is something that I’ve just always been a big believer of – even if the pieces are all set, you need to shuffle the deck once in a while just so that you’re prepared for some of these things that pop up along the way, that are not really in a crystal ball but end up there,” Sparano said.

The position coach added that he’s “moving the pieces constantly” because several of the linemen can play more than one position.

“We need to find out first of all what they major in, but at the end of the day, flexibility is critical at our position,” Sparano said. “Every year it’s been needed; I think in three different ball games last year, I got to my fifth guy. You’re only taking seven guys to the game, and you’re playing five, so that combination can change mid-stream.”
Isidora said that Zimmer in 2017 helped the offensive line see things “in a whole new way,” and Easton added that simply practicing against Zimmer’s defense makes the unit better.

“The looks we get in practice are oftentimes harder than anything we see in the game,” Easton said. “So if you can make it through a practice against our defense, the games [can] feel pretty easy.”

Ask any of Minnesota’s offensive linemen, and they’ll tell you they’re glad to share a practice field with the Vikings D-line rather than looking across at the unit on game day.

Hill emphasized the challenge of facing guys like Everson Griffen or Linval Joseph, the latter of whom he called “a man beyond boys.”
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

P.S. - Vikings.Com redesigned their site and it functions much better now. I guess that's going around.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:53 am P.S. - Vikings.Com redesigned their site and it functions much better now. I guess that's going around.
You started a trend!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018