Game Day Chat or Game Day Thread?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Which Would You Prefer?

Chat Function
86%
Game Day Thread
14%

Total votes: 14

Cliff
Site Admin

Game Day Chat or Game Day Thread?

Post by Cliff »

My original plan was to use the chat function to replace the game day thread. Then at the end of a game I would convert the chat session into a thread so people could post to it or reference it as needed. However, it turns out I can't do that.

As a result, we have a choice to make as a community.Chat room, or game day thread? I don't want to do both because I don't want to split up the conversation between two different places.

The only real bonus I can see to the game day thread is that it allows people to reference things that were said during the game several weeks from when the game occurred. The chat service has an archive but it won't stay around as long as a thread will. The real question is - does it matter? Going back and searching through game day threads weeks after a game happens isn't a terribly popular thing to do, is it?

Functionality wise I think it's chatting hands down.

It's the off season so I'm going to leave this up for a while to get information before the season. Perhaps we'll even do a dry run with some preseason games.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Game Day Chat or Game Day Thread?

Post by cstelter »

I rarely particpate in the game threads as I tend to be behind when watching a game-- sometimes I'll start a game 30 mins late and by half time I'm caught up and then I'll do the same for the 2nd half. During half time and after the game (sometimes the next day), I enjoy reading through the thread (mostly in games with dramatic turnarounds like the Division game with NO, etc.). I like to see which predictions came true and read reactions to things as they happened. I rarely read the full thread, but look for those moments during the game where things seemed most dire, or specific noteworthy plays were unfolding.

I know the game thread allows this, but I'm not sure how the chat room would work. If I can join the chat room on Monday or Tuesday and scroll back and read-- either way is fine by me. If not, I prefer the game thread, but I'll live either way I'm sure.
--
Craig
Craig S
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

My personal preference is chat with a "post-game thoughts" thread. My reasoning is there's not a ton of substance in the gameday threads, it's like 80% "woohoo Diggs TD!" or "that's holding!" type stuff. Which is totally fine but nothing that I think needs to be kept long term. There's also a small percent that's just bickering especially when the game isn't going well (I've had my share of grumpy gameday posts).

But I'm totally fine with going with the consensus, just my two cents.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

S197 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm My personal preference is chat with a "post-game thoughts" thread. My reasoning is there's not a ton of substance in the gameday threads, it's like 80% "woohoo Diggs TD!" or "that's holding!" type stuff. Which is totally fine but nothing that I think needs to be kept long term. There's also a small percent that's just bickering especially when the game isn't going well (I've had my share of grumpy gameday posts).

I agree. Gameday Chat with post game thoughts thread.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Opinion from a lurker.

I typically just read the last few pages of the game day thread just to see peoples initial post game thoughts, where as i tend to read the entire reaction thread. I have never participated in the game day thread because i felt it would be to clunky and too much of a distraction from the game and my family. I feel that game day chat would be a lot smoother and could provide a better flow to the dialogue. I would consider following or participating in game day chat.
Formerly AADPFan
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm My personal preference is chat with a "post-game thoughts" thread. My reasoning is there's not a ton of substance in the gameday threads, it's like 80% "woohoo Diggs TD!" or "that's holding!" type stuff. Which is totally fine but nothing that I think needs to be kept long term. There's also a small percent that's just bickering especially when the game isn't going well (I've had my share of grumpy gameday posts).

This
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I, for one, never try to miss a game so re reading the gameday thread is something I usually don't do.

Chat sounds like the logical choice. The only issue I'll have is the stream that I watch is usually 30 sec to 1 min delayed (NFL gamepass). With the gameday thread, I could control the timing of the content with the refresh button. Cant' think of a way to do this with the chat window. I'm hoping most of the Vikings gamed will be carried locally anyway so I won't have to deal with this issue much.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I like the thread because I can go back and reminisce a bit. Could you somehow save the chat a different way?
I'm ok with what the board decides though.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I agree here as well. Chat with post game thread.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

I agree with Chat and then a Post Game Thread.

I also had a similar thought to PurpleMustReign. Would it be possible to copy and paste the contents of a Chat into one post after the fact? Maybe it’s not formatted as neatly, but could still work for those nostalgic soles. If so, I would only advocate it if it was super easy - you already do enough work for us Cliff! Thank you!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Purple Domination wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm I agree with Chat and then a Post Game Thread.

I also had a similar thought to PurpleMustReign. Would it be possible to copy and paste the contents of a Chat into one post after the fact? Maybe it’s not formatted as neatly, but could still work for those nostalgic soles. If so, I would only advocate it if it was super easy - you already do enough work for us Cliff! Thank you!
Thanks for the feedback and you're welcome!

I think chat and a post game thread is what's happening at this point.

I can't move the chat log within a thread but it does archive all of the sessions and they're all time stamped so you can easily go back to a specific day and read through the chat log.

Not the best solution, I know, but it's what we've got!

Here is the link to the archive. http://vikingsmessageboard.com/mchat/archive

You can also get there by clicking the "archive" button under the chat window.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Also, if you click the "mChat" link at the top of the screen (or in the menu on the top left if on mobile) it will open the chat window in a screen by itself. The page has a bigger window on it as well and it will probably be handy during a game.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Wow, Chat? Bummer. I liked the thread, we are used to it. My guess is the threaders, like me will not use the chat. I know I won't use the chat.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for your input.

What do you think you'll miss about the threads? Have you looked at the chat function in the bottom? It's basically a thread you don't have to refresh.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Not having to refresh will be a nice feature!