Viking Tweets

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Viking Tweets

Post by Cliff »

I've put in a new forum called "Viking Tweets". I'm going to have our new robot friend post tweets from various viking sources. I'll build up a list of players and stuff over time.

That's the *idea* anyway. Does anyone have interest in that? Is it a waste of time?

Check out the forum and give me some input.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Viking Tweets

Post by akvikingsfan »

I get a page saying that I don’t have permission to view the tweets forum.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Try again!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Works for me. I like this a lot because my work blocks twitter 8)
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Cliff wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pmTry again!
working now.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Also - any suggestions on twitter accounts to add? I was just going to add every player's and coach's twitter account but I'm not really sure what people want to see. If there are a lot of players I expect just random stuff (like Diggs' posts about the NBA final).

Though we can weed those tweets out but that's a lot of moderator work if we add the full roster! Instead, I suppose just adding people as they're requested makes more sense.

I don't know. I'm still not sold on it. Might be more interesting when the season is in swing?
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

Cliff wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 am Also - any suggestions on twitter accounts to add? I was just going to add every player's and coach's twitter account but I'm not really sure what people want to see. If there are a lot of players I expect just random stuff (like Diggs' posts about the NBA final).

Though we can weed those tweets out but that's a lot of moderator work if we add the full roster! Instead, I suppose just adding people as they're requested makes more sense.

I don't know. I'm still not sold on it. Might be more interesting when the season is in swing?
I guess every fan has different things they are interested in.Personally I follow more beat writers than players.
Perhaps you could have sub-forums in the Viking Tweets section, like:
  • Players (coaches?)
  • Beat writers
  • Team & social media representatives?
Then people can look at the tweets that are relevant to what they want to see.

Also, if possible, perhaps you should have a thread per followed account and have the bot post in the appropriate thread, e.g. one thread for Cousins, one for Diggs, one for Thielen, etc etc.
If the bot posts individual threads for each tweet it will quickly become overwhelming I'd think.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Ohjay wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am I guess every fan has different things they are interested in.Personally I follow more beat writers than players.
Perhaps you could have sub-forums in the Viking Tweets section, like:
  • Players (coaches?)
  • Beat writers
  • Team & social media representatives?
Then people can look at the tweets that are relevant to what they want to see.

Also, if possible, perhaps you should have a thread per followed account and have the bot post in the appropriate thread, e.g. one thread for Cousins, one for Diggs, one for Thielen, etc etc.
If the bot posts individual threads for each tweet it will quickly become overwhelming I'd think.
Yeah, as I was looking at the players tweets there's not really much there. I turned off the few that I had. Very little interesting content. I'm interested in beat writers - suggest some and I'll add them.

I can make individual forums but my original plan was to show which was which via the subject.

I could see it being too flooded - especially if I had a bunch of players and coaches. I think if I stick to the vikings official tweets and a couple of beat writers it wouldn't be too bad.

The tweets also aren't posted automatically. I filter out content that doesn't seem applicable to the board.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 am Yeah, as I was looking at the players tweets there's not really much there. I turned off the few that I had. Very little interesting content. I'm interested in beat writers - suggest some and I'll add them.

I can make individual forums but my original plan was to show which was which via the subject.

I could see it being too flooded - especially if I had a bunch of players and coaches. I think if I stick to the vikings official tweets and a couple of beat writers it wouldn't be too bad.

The tweets also aren't posted automatically. I filter out content that doesn't seem applicable to the board.
I think some players are more active than others. The ones I follow are generally not that active and it's mostly personal stuff, but that's interesting too.

As for beat writers, some are more interesting than others:
Arif Hasan - @ArifHasanNFL ‏
Chris Tomasson - @christomasson
Darren Wolfson - @DWolfsonKSTP ‏(Covers a lot of other Mpls sports as well)
Vikings Corner - @VikingsCorner
Daniel House - @DanielHouseNFL (He manages Vikings Corner, but this account mostly covers Gophers but he adds the occasional Vikings stuff)
Tom Pelissero - @TomPelissero ‏(Not so much Vikings content since he got employed by NFL)
Judd Zulgad - @1500ESPNJudd (I don't personally follow him but he covers Vikings and other Mpls sports)
Phil Mackey - @PhilMackey (Same comment as for Judd)
Chris Long - @ChrisLongKSTP (Same comment as for Judd)
Ben Goessling - @GoesslingStrib
Andy Carlson - @AndyCarlsonShow

Not quite beat writers but Vikings related and a bit news worthy at times:
Lindsey Young - @LindseyMNSports ‏(Official writer for Vikings, mostly social content with Vikings twist during season)
Felicia - @effjayyy ‏(Social Media content manager for Vikings, like Lindsey mostly social content, but with Vikings twist)
Paul Allen - @PAOnTheMic (nuff said)
Yinka Ayinde - @Saxyprince (Might qualify as a beat writer, I dunno.)
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Just my two cents:

I love the tweet bot and news bot additions. It is nice to have all the information in one place without having to go searching for it.

But (there’s always a but, right?) I prefer them to be in their own section like you did with the tweets as opposed to mixed in with the general Vikings chat.

I could be in the minority, but I would like it better if the news bot had its own section as well. That’s just my preference.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Ohjay wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:12 pm I think some players are more active than others. The ones I follow are generally not that active and it's mostly personal stuff, but that's interesting too.

As for beat writers, some are more interesting than others:
Arif Hasan - @ArifHasanNFL ‏
Chris Tomasson - @christomasson
Darren Wolfson - @DWolfsonKSTP ‏(Covers a lot of other Mpls sports as well)
Vikings Corner - @VikingsCorner
Daniel House - @DanielHouseNFL (He manages Vikings Corner, but this account mostly covers Gophers but he adds the occasional Vikings stuff)
Tom Pelissero - @TomPelissero ‏(Not so much Vikings content since he got employed by NFL)
Judd Zulgad - @1500ESPNJudd (I don't personally follow him but he covers Vikings and other Mpls sports)
Phil Mackey - @PhilMackey (Same comment as for Judd)
Chris Long - @ChrisLongKSTP (Same comment as for Judd)
Ben Goessling - @GoesslingStrib
Andy Carlson - @AndyCarlsonShow

Not quite beat writers but Vikings related and a bit news worthy at times:
Lindsey Young - @LindseyMNSports ‏(Official writer for Vikings, mostly social content with Vikings twist during season)
Felicia - @effjayyy ‏(Social Media content manager for Vikings, like Lindsey mostly social content, but with Vikings twist)
Paul Allen - @PAOnTheMic (nuff said)
Yinka Ayinde - @Saxyprince (Might qualify as a beat writer, I dunno.)
I've checked in on Matthew Coller as well as Andrew Krammer's twitter accounts for info. They were both pretty good about posting updates from training camp last year.
Last edited by MikethePurple on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

akvikingsfan wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 pm Just my two cents:

I love the tweet bot and news bot additions. It is nice to have all the information in one place without having to go searching for it.

But (there’s always a but, right?) I prefer them to be in their own section like you did with the tweets as opposed to mixed in with the general Vikings chat.

I could be in the minority, but I would like it better if the news bot had its own section as well. That’s just my preference.
Some others have talked about the bot having it's own forum and I agree. I've made it's own forum.

What are your thoughts about the NFL forum? I'm having the news bot post in there as well but that forum stays pretty dead otherwise so I don't know that it "clutters" things there.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

akvikingsfan wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 pm Just my two cents:

Agreed. I feel like it’s cluttering the board a bit. Love the idea just seems like it could have its own section
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Thanks for giving the bot it’s own forum. I do like that much better. However I’m getting this message when I try to go into the forum to read the articles the bot posted:

“You do not have the required permissions to view or read topics within this forum”

For me, I rarely (if ever) go into the NFL talk forum, so the bot posting in there doesn’t bother me.

Thanks for all your hard work on the forum. These upgrades are great. The people who only stop by during the season are in for some surprises!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Should be fixed now.

Thanks!