5th Round Pick- Tyler Conklin- TE, Central Michigan

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

5th Round Pick- Tyler Conklin- TE, Central Michigan

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings selected Central Michigan TE Tyler Conklin with the No. 157 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
Conklin (6’3/254) averaged 14.0 yards per catch with 11 career TDs as a Chippewa, bouncing back from a 2017 offseason Jones fracture to post a 35/504/14.4/5 receiving line in eight games. Conklin helped himself at the Combine with 71st-percentile SPARQ results, running a passable 4.80 forty and showing lower-body explosion in the vertical (38") and broad (10’) jumps. A former D-IAA basketball player at Northwood College in Michigan, Conklin flashed plus run-blocking potential on college tape and is athletic and soft-handed enough to make an impact in the passing game. He has some similarities to Austin Hooper.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 5th Round Pick- Tyler Conklin- TE, Central Michigan

Post by fiestavike »

honestly hadn't come across his name, but he looks good as a receiving TE. They used their seventh to move up. 4 picks in the next round if they don't move up again.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Saw his measurables and figured he must be a basketball guy. High athleticism, we'll see if it translates on the field or he's another Bucky Hodges.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote:Saw his measurables and figured he must be a basketball guy. High athleticism, we'll see if it translates on the field or he's another Bucky Hodges.
I never understood the Bucky cut. He looked solid in pre season and the he was gone. Had to be more because his play was great.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

YikesVikes wrote:
S197 wrote:Saw his measurables and figured he must be a basketball guy. High athleticism, we'll see if it translates on the field or he's another Bucky Hodges.
I never understood the Bucky cut. He looked solid in pre season and the he was gone. Had to be more because his play was great.
Didn't he get hurt?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I never even saw this guys name while looking at TE's. But i am ok with this pick. I think hes going to become good in the passing game, would love to see him as a FB for first downs and endzone games. And declaring him eligible near the end zone, should be fun. But he is a project guy too. Rick got a whole lot of prospect and not really any immediate help.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
Didn't he get hurt?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Yeah he did. Foot I think.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Maybe this guy can replace Rudolph (eventually)? High upside imo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah Rudolf isn't young anymore.

I didn't care for him until the last
year or so. Kyle got in great shape
and did a lot of great teammate type
stuff. Having people stay at his house
and working off-season with Teddy
and others.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Rudolph has been good, but never great. My sense is Conklin is a flier pick. Strong raw material, so they took a chance on him. I don't mind it as a 5th round pick.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:Rudolph has been good, but never great. My sense is Conklin is a flier pick. Strong raw material, so they took a chance on him. I don't mind it as a 5th round pick.
He's a total flier. What's weird is that his 40 time is pretty bad (4.8 ) but his 60-yard puts him in the 96th percentile. So he can be fast, but it takes him awhile to get there.

His vertical (38") and broad jump (120") are 92nd and 80th percentile so there's some explosion. It's weird about that 40 though.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:29 pm He's a total flier. What's weird is that his 40 time is pretty bad (4.8) but his 60-yard puts him in the 96th percentile. So he can be fast, but it takes him awhile to get there.

His vertical (38") and broad jump (120") are 92nd and 80th percentile so there's some explosion. It's weird about that 40 though.
I don't think it means much. Track guys often run faster than their playing speed. Even in something as simple as running 40 yards there are too many variables to think the number reveals all that much in a vacuum. If all his other athletic numbers are stellar, its likely he just doesn't have good form running a 40 yard dash.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:51 pmbouncing back from a 2017 offseason Jones fracture to post a 35/504/14.4/5 receiving line in eight games
Man, I would hate to have a Jones fracture. Would be AWFULLY painful. I once sprained it, and that was bad enough . . . .
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think 40 time carries too much weight.

Jerry Rice had a unimpressive
40 time, but give him a football
and an auidence and look out.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!