2nd Round Pick- Brian O'Neill- OL, Pittsburgh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MikethePurple
Veteran

Re: 2nd Round Pick- Brian O'Neill- OL, Pittsburgh

Post by MikethePurple »

ChicagoViking wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm Hard to know if Kalil was a scouting mistake or a subsequent injury/will-to-win issue. Remember, Kalil had a strong rookie season, and played in the Pro Bowl as a replacement. Things went down rapidly only after that rookie season.
Good point, I guess despite his good rookie season, it's been too many seasons of sub par play for me to put a lot of stock in his one good season. But you are absolutely right, from the outside, it's hard to know exactly what happened to derail his promising start. Was it injuries, will to win, lack of development past that initial season, coordinators seeing his weaknesses on tape after a season? Hard to know.

I guess I was making the Captain Obvious point that projections (even by the most talented evaluators) always end up being simply projections and scouts from different teams can vary drastically on where they rank individual players. No one really knows how these players will pan out whether it's a first or seventh round pick, but obviously it's a much better chance in the higher rounds and there's a reason some players are selected higher than others.

I'm crossing my fingers for all the Vikings' picks!
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

MikethePurple wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:07 pmI'm crossing my fingers for all the Vikings' picks!
Amen to that, brother.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:45 am Definitely could be a possibility. I did say dont be surprised if he catches a TD this year. I wouldnt be surprised if Hill started the year at RT but I can see ONeill quickly taking over. Zim had no problem plugging Elflein in right away. He did have him splitting reps in the preseason with Easton but gave him the start week 1. If ONeill shows well in camp in the preseason, I can see him starting sooner than later.
I hope so. This is who we have and I will throw my support behind him. What could have been is over. Let's hope he turns out to be an allpro.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Broad jump and vert are decent gauges for lower body strength. O'neill was 77 and 69th percentile, respectively, which isn't great but not too bad either.
YikesVikes wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 pm Best place for him to start this year is as a 3rd tackle. I expect a lot of 3 tackle sets with him declaring and the occasional rare trick pass to him. This set would allow him to use his ability to pull, and seal, which are his best assets.
I could see this although I can't recall how much of the overload package the Eagles ran. Hard to say what Flip will do but I'd imagine it will be RPO heavy.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly