1st Round Pick- Mike Hughes- CB, UCF

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 1st Round Pick- Mike Hughes- CB, UCF

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:30 pm 1. Injury at CB would not sink our season. This isn't even considering that we could sign a guy off the street, could have drafted a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Even without those options, reduced play at corner (Alexander or Sherels starting) would not be a lost season.
So prior to signing Newman, if we had an injury at CB our season wouldnt be sunk but if Easton got hurt and Isidora had to start our season would? Tell me how that makes any sense? We didnt have a capable CB after Alexander that could come in and play. Isidora is more than capable.
2. You threw out a lot of names at OT and OG but the same amount of names could be thrown out in 2016. The difference now is the hindsight. Having depth isn't just about the numbers, its about the talent on roster. Many of the guys you listed are Jags that you have never seen play. You naming Compton is laughable. Might as well name me, because you have no idea how either of us look. I'm not excited about having Remmers at guard and Hill at RT.
No me naming Tom Compton is not laughable. As I've mentioned before, I follow the NFL as much as I do the Vikings. Compton started 9 games for the Skins a few years back and 5 more last year in Chicago. One of those games being against us last year and one against us when he was in Washington. I've seen Isidora play. I've seen Hill play. So I havent seen the "two rookies play" just like everyone else that watches football. So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

3. Each season we would be about getting better. Hughes doesn't make this team in the middle of a championship run tremendously better. Henderson would have. I'm not sure why you can't see that we have issues at Guard. Easton should be replaced as isn't great. I have high hopes for Isadora because if he doesn't work out we are in trouble.
Well I dont know who Henderson is. Also, in the paragraph above you try to get on me about not seeing these guys play but I'm counting them. Have you seen Mike Hughes play? No. So how do you know he doesnt make this team better? You're contradicting yourself
4. We keep dumping 1st rounders into the defense with little thought of the offensive line. You can't keep throwing UDFAs and low drafted guys out there and think that it will work out. Outside of Khalil, our investments into the oline via the draft have been laughable. We have maybe 1 success story in Sullivan. The rest have had a decent year and then fallen off.
Do you truly believe that in the first round, our entire draft room is just putting "little thought into the OL". That is just your personal opinion because you dont like this draft. Yet we take a guy in the 2nd and you still arent pleased. I'm done discussing that with you.
5. Wouldn't it be nice to have a guy that can actually open up holes for our Rbs. Not just not get beat but on a consistent basis, win and have an effect on the game.
We had the #10 rushing offense in the NFL dude. Another hole that is opening is the one you keep digging yourself. #10 total rushing offense WITHOUT Dalvin Cook the final 12 games. So by the looks of it, our offensive line did a pretty solid job of opening up holes last year. We get it, you dont like the draft but at the same time you arent making a good case for yourself
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

You're not good at comprehending stats. The Vikes were 23rd at yards per rush at 3.9. 23rd! Using total yards rushing is fools gold at it does not speak to the competency the team exhibited in their rush offense. I didn't have to look that up. The eyeball test showed this line did not do a good job opening up holes.

You speak in absolutes You are talking about holes that may open from injury. I'm talking about holes that we have right now. when we already have 2 starting 1st round CBs and a 2 rounder on the bench, another 1st string CB does not help us as much as 1st round Guard because when we had an opening at RG and a journeyman at LG.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm You're not good at comprehending stats. The Vikes were 23rd at yards per rush at 3.9. 23rd! Using total yards rushing is fools gold at it does not speak to the competency the team exhibited in their rush offense. I didn't have to look that up. The eyeball test showed this line did not do a good job opening up holes.
Dalvin Cook averaged 4.8 yards per game. The 23rd rating could be an indication of average running backs behind an average line. Whereas an above average back, such as cook, can still be fairly successful behind an average offensive line.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm more concerned about our pass protection and our $84M guaranteed investment.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

MrPurplenGold wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:22 pm Dalvin Cook averaged 4.8 yards per game. The 23rd rating could be an indication of average running backs behind an average line. Whereas an above average back, such as cook, can still be fairly successful behind an average offensive line.
Possibly but that is such a small sample size. Additionally, regardless of the RB, we should be looking towards building the best oline we can. So perhaps we improve and that 4.8 goes to 5.8.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm You're not good at comprehending stats. The Vikes were 23rd at yards per rush at 3.9. 23rd! Using total yards rushing is fools gold at it does not speak to the competency the team exhibited in their rush offense. I didn't have to look that up. The eyeball test showed this line did not do a good job opening up holes.

You speak in absolutes You are talking about holes that may open from injury. I'm talking about holes that we have right now. when we already have 2 starting 1st round CBs and a 2 rounder on the bench, another 1st string CB does not help us as much as 1st round Guard because when we had an opening at RG and a journeyman at LG.
Overall, this team did not have a "bad" running game by any means and was much better in the first four weeks with Cook. We were tenths of yards off of being at league average. With Murray and McKinnon. Small sample size? Cook showed in the first 4 weeks that he can be a legit RB behind even an average OL. He now has a much bigger passing threat than Case Keenum. No less, teams were stacking the box the first 4 weeks because they didnt think Keenum could do much. If you look into offensive line statistics and where our offense ranked running the ball, we're right around league average. We were league average in "stuffed" runs. And our total average was 3.98. So practically 4. Which again puts us around league average. Compared to 3.64 in 2016 along with every other rushing statistic much further below 2017 numbers.

We were then 7th in the NFL in sacks allowed and tied for 6th in adjusted sack rate % at 4.4. Compared to an adjusted sack rate of 6.0 in 2016 and being sacked 38 times.

You refuse to look at the reason why they took a CB at 30. You're so stuck on offensive line. This OL was a huge improvement last year in all aspects. We now (knock on wood) have one of the better young RBs in the league for a full season. Along with a better QB. I am not worried. We addressed OL in the 2nd round. The year before we had a giant OL need and didnt take one until the 3rd round and ended up just fine. Would I have liked OL at 30? Yeah why not. But again I completely understand why they went with Hughes. He was obviously the best player on their board. Do you pass on a talent like that JUST so you can draft for need? No I think that is the wrong approach. We're so use to drafting to need and we now have the luxury to not always do that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Let me take a moment to say that I'm not mad at the ayer taken. I think having another CB is valuable. I believe that Hernadez has top 15 talent but plays an undervalued position.

I just believed that Hernadez in the 1st and Olivera in the 2nd would have been a better combo. The oline needs a stud or 2 on it. Cook is amazing, but could be even more amazing with an oline that is above average. Boys have Zeke but they still work to give him a monster oline. Let's not forget how many times Case should have gotten killed last season but he singlehandely evaded a monster hit and got rid of the ball. Now remember our best linemen retired. J hope it all works out.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Former Vikings player and coach Pete Bercich joined Mike Wobschall to break down college tape of Vikings first round pick Mike Hughes to show what he can bring to the team's defense

Film Room: Hughes Brings Physicality, Coverage Skills To Vikings
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm Let me take a moment to say that I'm not mad at the ayer taken. I think having another CB is valuable. I believe that Hernadez has top 15 talent but plays an undervalued position.

I just believed that Hernadez in the 1st and Olivera in the 2nd would have been a better combo. The oline needs a stud or 2 on it. Cook is amazing, but could be even more amazing with an oline that is above average. Boys have Zeke but they still work to give him a monster oline. Let's not forget how many times Case should have gotten killed last season but he singlehandely evaded a monster hit and got rid of the ball. Now remember our best linemen retired. J hope it all works out.
I understand what you’re saying but yeah the cowboys built a great OL for Zeke to run behind but at the same time what have they suffered from? A bad defense. It’s easy for fans to say over the last 5 years, we need to draft OL. Well if we did that guess what, we don’t have the defense we have. Spielman spent a lot of money last year on Reiff and Remmers and spent a 3rd on elflein. Then spends a 2nd round pick this year on O’Neill. They are far from ignoring the OL. They just aren’t taking the first round approach.

Everyone wants a great OL. I do as well. But personally, I’d rather have a loaded defense and an average OL vs an average to below average OL and great OL. It’s not doing Dallas any favors that’s for sure.

I always say, Aaron Rodgers is “the best QB in the game”. They are always considered super bowl contenders because of him. However, they can’t get back to the big dance with him. Why? Because they’ve had a horrible defense year after year. They’ve usually had a fairly solid OL. You need defense to win in this league. Oakland, Dallas and Tennessee have had the best OLs in the league over the past few years and they can’t get out of the first round of playoffs or even make the playoffs. They can’t because their defense is so bad. Defense wins championships. Not offensive line. They help, but you need a defense to win
-Chazz Palminteri