Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm To add on to the "what if he flops" discussion:

If he flops because he blows an ACL or they team gets hit with the injury bug, then I think they all survive. If he comes out and just sucks then it would be a different story. But I really can't see why that would happen? There is plenty of film on Cousins. They know who is and what he can do. I guess it is possible that they get stubborn (a la childress) on offense and try to force Cousins into a scheme he doesn't fit, but there is literally ZERO reason to think that would happen. The new OC might be a bit of wildcard on this front, but we saw what he did in Philly where he catered his approach to what Foles was good at. To a point, they won the SB. So I find it hard to point to any sort of strong reason that would make me thing Cousins would lay an egg unless it is injury related.

The biggest hurdle this season is the schedule. It is nasty. IMO the divisional games will be really important. If they can win 11 games and take a home playoff game, that should be considered a success. I think they can potentially do better, but given their road schedule it is going to take some luck. Don't get me wrong, I think we are an elite NFC roster, easily in the top 3m but the issue is we are playing probably the hardest schedule in the NFC. There is a good chance that some NFC team will turn it on playing a much softer schedule and it will be tough to stay ahead of them playing teams like NE on the road.
Yes the schedule is the big downfall. I sure hope if we go 11-5, fans arent on here saying "see we should of kept Case" or talking about firing coaches or Spielman just because we didnt match the previous years record or do better. 13-3 is hard to match and hard to beat. Especially when you're playing a first place schedule. I think the home games are reasonable. It's the road schedule thats brutal. I swear we caught every tough team on the road outside of the Saints. Which is really unfortunate.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

If it can remain healthy, this roster has the ability to beat every single team on the schedule whether it is home or away. The Defense is so good, it will keep them in most, if not all games. However, at this stage in Zimmer's time here, we should expect that there will be 2-3 games where the team plays flat to bad on defense. Last year, the offense bailed us out of two of those games, but couldn't bail us out of the other two. (Playoffs included) This year, the offense should again be able to to offer a life line and likely a stronger one.

This team didn't just win in the margins last year, it dominated. We didn't have 3 or 4 games where the ball bounced our way, We won convincingly and did so consistently. However, we did have our share of games against weaker teams. This coming season there will not be as many weaker teams, so the margin for error will be smaller. That is why I made the prediction of 11-5. The road schedule is such that it just seems likely that they could have a harder time getting to 12 or 13 wins.

Let us just hope we can stay healthy.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 pm I think experience counts at every position but I think you have a point about "old man strength" too. As big as many young football players are when they enter the league, they're still young and bodies tend to fill out (in both positive and negative ways) with age. I imagine those changes, along with the benefits of NFL strength training programs and the aforementioned experience make most guards better 4+ years into their pro careers, assuming they get that far.
At this point, how do you think you would arrange the 2018 starting OL for the Vikings using the players currently on the roster? Or if you'd rather, who do you predict to be starting along the OL in Week 1?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am At this point, how do you think you would arrange the 2018 starting OL for the Vikings using the players currently on the roster? Or if you'd rather, who do you predict to be starting along the OL in Week 1?
Not addressed to me but my guess is Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Compton-Remmers. I really think Remmers move to guard was out of desperation, they don't really want him there for any meaningful amount of time. I hear Compton is a good locker room guy and have to imagine Cousins championed for him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm Not addressed to me but my guess is Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Compton-Remmers. I really think Remmers move to guard was out of desperation, they don't really want him there for any meaningful amount of time. I hear Compton is a good locker room guy and have to imagine Cousins championed for him.
I dont see Compton starting. But if he does I would think it's where you said.

I would guess either Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Remmers and Hill

OR

Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Remmers and O'Neill. They didnt take O'Neill in the 2nd for him to sit the bench.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm I dont see Compton starting. But if he does I would think it's where you said.

I would guess either Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Remmers and Hill

OR

Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Remmers and O'Neill. They didnt take O'Neill in the 2nd for him to sit the bench.
We'll see but early reports indicate O'Neill isn't ready to start. I see an outside shot of Hill starting at RT but Remmers really struggled at guard. Remmers still has a lot of dead cap but that goes down significantly after this year and makes O'Neill a more attractive option in 2019. Hill is really a depth swing tackle to me, they're bonkers if the gameplan is to have him protect Cousins for 16 games.

If anything, maybe Isidora beats out Compton but I still feel like guard is the only position in flux right now.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

mansquatch wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 am That fantastic Cowboy's OL hasn't won a playoff game since 2014. FYI. I'd argue you build a team QB first, but that's just like my opinion man.

I would remind everyone hammering on the first round pick that your conclusions are based on the Draft Grades provided by so-called media draft experts. Note that it wasn't just the Vikings who did not pick those guards, so did every other team that passed them up. many of which were playoff teams. This might imply that the grades from the experts were not so great? Don't those guys miss more often than they hit anyways? Might be worth reviewing the foundation of the case being made here. Seems to me like it's a bit soft...
Possibly but how many of the teams that passed, needed guards as desperately as we did? We aren't the Cowboys. We have a complete team except for Oline. It's time we start pouring picks into fixing it and not luxury picks for the defense. A top Olineman and 2nd round CB would have served this team better than a top CB and a project Olineman.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah from what I know of our
new OC is he takes the players
or talent he has and adapts his
plan to them, not the other way
around.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am At this point, how do you think you would arrange the 2018 starting OL for the Vikings using the players currently on the roster? Or if you'd rather, who do you predict to be starting along the OL in Week 1?
I haven't seen much (or any) of some of those players yet so it's hard to say how I would arrange them or make a firm prediction but my best guess for the starting OL in week 1 is:

LT Reiff
LG Easton
C Elflein
RG Compton
RT Remmers

I think Remmers is better played at tackle than guard and he looks to me like the best RT option on the roster. Maybe Isidora will challenge for RG in his second season or perhaps someone else will step up but I'm guess the veteran they just signed ends up with the job, at least to start the season.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:00 am I haven't seen much (or any) of some of those players yet so it's hard to say how I would arrange them or make a firm prediction but my best guess for the starting OL in week 1 is:

LT Reiff
LG Easton
C Elflein
RG Compton
RT Remmers

I think Remmers is better played at tackle than guard and he looks to me like the best RT option on the roster. Maybe Isidora will challenge for RG in his second season or perhaps someone else will step up but I'm guess the veteran they just signed ends up with the job, at least to start the season.
Did you get to see Compton play much for the Bears? I only watched him against the Vikings and I can say he didn't stick out like a sore thumb. There is a good chance he starts. Isadora against the Browns was truly a mess. Gosset, Andrews and O'neil are the wild cards. I suppose Aviante Collins could be a dark horse to move inside to G.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm We'll see but early reports indicate O'Neill isn't ready to start. I see an outside shot of Hill starting at RT but Remmers really struggled at guard. Remmers still has a lot of dead cap but that goes down significantly after this year and makes O'Neill a more attractive option in 2019. Hill is really a depth swing tackle to me, they're bonkers if the gameplan is to have him protect Cousins for 16 games.

If anything, maybe Isidora beats out Compton but I still feel like guard is the only position in flux right now.
I honestly dont mind giving Remmers another shot at guard. Simply because it was a spot he got minimal reps at during the season and was thrown in there when Easton went down. I think if he's there most of camp and the preseason he would be fine. It's tough switching from RT to the complete opposite side as well as a completely different position. I can see Isidora being a sleeper as well. From what I am hearing, dont count Gossett out either
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:53 am Did you get to see Compton play much for the Bears? I only watched him against the Vikings and I can say he didn't stick out like a sore thumb. There is a good chance he starts. Isadora against the Browns was truly a mess. Gosset, Andrews and O'neil are the wild cards. I suppose Aviante Collins could be a dark horse to move inside to G.
I saw a little of Compton with the Bears. He was okay, not outstanding, not awful. He's actually been a tackle most of his career so I think he might have been out of his comfort zone at guard.

It really looks to me like the Vikes have put together a roster without a second starting-caliber guard and with tackles as their best starting options to fill that open guard position.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:59 am I saw a little of Compton with the Bears. He was okay, not outstanding, not awful. He's actually been a tackle most of his career so I think he might have been out of his comfort zone at guard.

It really looks to me like the Vikes have put together a roster without a second starting-caliber guard and with tackles as their best starting options to fill that open guard position.
I would agree. That's how it looks as of this moment. If none of the younger players surprise, I hope they will consider trying to make a trade before the season. I saw somewhere (I can't remember now) a proposal that the Vikings sign Jahri Evans to solidify the RG position. That could make sense as a short term, band-aid.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:33 am I would agree. That's how it looks as of this moment. If none of the younger players surprise, I hope they will consider trying to make a trade before the season. I saw somewhere (I can't remember now) a proposal that the Vikings sign Jahri Evans to solidify the RG position. That could make sense as a short term, band-aid.
I would hope the trade would be a low risk high reward type trade and not something big. I'm starting to think Gossett has more of a shot than some fans think
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 am I would hope the trade would be a low risk high reward type trade and not something big. I'm starting to think Gossett has more of a shot than some fans think
If Gossett has a shot (and I believe he does) that sort of proves the point. I think a strong case can be made that the vikings do not have a single starter quality guard on the roster unless we discover somebody who will excede expectations.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins