Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Lol he’s an NFL scout!!! You’re going off of bleacher report. Who doesn’t carry enough credibility to say so. Backing a bleacher report analysts doesn’t help your credibility whatsoever just to let you know. Brooks, Jeremiah and Mayock are the most knowledgeable drafts analysts out there. They know these guys inside and out. Listening to bleacher report is like listen to “Viking age”. They are a bunch of sports guys that think they know talent. Brooks and Jeremiah actually scouted and drafted talent for a living. You’re beat with this argument pal
I swear this board will never change. First of all I posted one anylisis of the pick. I'm not going only off that anyaslis. Second your assumption that those guys are the most knowledgeable because they are the most well known is foolish. Third, you created an argument when there wasn't one there. No one is arguing with you. I presented o e persons take and didn't say it was gospel. Don't get mad at me because Rick is picking projects in the #### 2nd round. Aim your frustrations elsewhere.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

It's silly to talk credibility when the guy you're praising hasn't given anyone below a B. Every team is having a great draft :rofl: By the way he gave ONeill a B :rofl:
His B's are D's.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Lol he’s an NFL scout!!! You’re going off of bleacher report. Who doesn’t carry enough credibility to say so. Backing a bleacher report analysts doesn’t help your credibility whatsoever just to let you know. Brooks, Jeremiah and Mayock are the most knowledgeable drafts analysts out there. They know these guys inside and out. Listening to bleacher report is like listen to “Viking age”. They are a bunch of sports guys that think they know talent. Brooks and Jeremiah actually scouted and drafted talent for a living. You’re beat with this argument pal
I swear this board will never change. First of all I posted one anylisis of the pick. I'm not going only off that anyaslis. Second your assumption that those guys are the most knowledgeable because they are the most well known is foolish. Third, you created an argument when there wasn't one there. No one is arguing with you. I presented o e persons take and didn't say it was gospel. Don't get mad at me because Rick is picking projects in the #### 2nd round. Aim your frustrations elsewhere.
Lol well if this board “never changes”, then leave. No skin off our back. First of all, zero frustration here. I trust Zim and Spielman. If I was frustrated, I would voice that I don’t like the pick. So you’re dead wrong there. Second, I didn’t say those guys were the most knowledgeable because they were the “most well known”. Now you’re just putting words in my mouth. Kiper and Mcshay have been doing it longer than those guys on the air and I think those two are clueless half the time. The reason brooks and Jeremiah are legit is because they DID THIS FOR A LIVING. For multiple years. They know talent when they see it. Not some guy sitting at home on his computer working for bleacher report. You’re the one that seems frustrated. So maybe take your frustrations elsewhere? Since this “board never changes” and you clearly aren’t happy with the picks.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:It's silly to talk credibility when the guy you're praising hasn't given anyone below a B. Every team is having a great draft :rofl: By the way he gave ONeill a B :rofl:
His B's are D's.
Lol yeah you’re right. You know more than a former nfl scout. Everyone believes you. Ton of credibility. I’m sure you’ve watched a ton of film on O’Neill too. But he must be a D. Bleacher report said so!!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:It's silly to talk credibility when the guy you're praising hasn't given anyone below a B. Every team is having a great draft :rofl: By the way he gave ONeill a B :rofl:
His B's are D's.
Lol yeah you’re right. You know more than a former nfl scout. Everyone believes you. Ton of credibility. I’m sure you’ve watched a ton of film on O’Neill too. But he must be a D. Bleacher report said so!!!
Try on a little humility and be a peacemaker. You are constantly in conflict with someone. This is not a coincidence.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Last point I'll make on this #### pick is that guys that are more famous have to be more discrete in their criticism. If not, they risk offending NFL exs and players. So one must read between the lines to get the true meaning in their statements. When you see carp like "project", "wont be able to compete right away" used to critique players in the 2nd round... its NFl.com speak for bad pick. I mean who is drafting project players in the 2nd round? You might draft a guy that has a flaw to his game but not one that BUCKYs co host says " I have real concerns about this guy........."
That's a red flag. Stop defending it... it makes you look like an like you work for Vikings.com
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

His B's are D's.
Just be honest. He gave everyone at least a B what kind of rating scale is that. If you had a teacher that gave everyone a B regardless of competence, would you stand by their grading competency?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
His B's are D's.
Try on a little humility and be a peacemaker. You are constantly in conflict with someone. This is not a coincidence.
Pretty sure the only ones I’m in conflict with are PK and this guy for the most part. Because it’s constant lack of credibility when they post. It’s a common trend with them. It’s either a random opinion that has no backing behind it or using sources that carry no weight. It gets tiring. One is Foed. Other is next. My thing is, if you’re going to post or argue a point, back it up. Use some credible sources behind it. Jim and I battled a while back over something but we were both backing up our points and making good arguments for both sides. Shouting out random opinions when you don’t like something or arguing a point with nothing credible behind it doesn’t make for good discussion. That’s all
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

fiestavike wrote:
His B's are D's.
Fiesta is right....having different views is one thing but the constant endless bickering is tiresome.....sometimes sends me over to Purple Thoughts. Just sayin
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The thing about Jim is that he is always super diplomatic. He has his opinions, backs them with evidence and cogent arguments, but he always respects other posters. The board has declined with his absence, IMO. We should all strive to post the way Jim does.

PHP, I really enjoy your takes, but I'm with Fiesta in that you could dial back the ire a bit. Try to take the back and forth less personally. Don't let it get nasty or unprofessional. This is our shared pass time, let's try to enjoy it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:Wow!

"Strengths: Size, effort.

Weaknesses: Quickness, balance.

Brian O’Neill is a tortoise coming off the line of scrimmage, forcing him to lunge and lose balance as he tries to compensate. He’ll raise injury liability premiums for his quarterback as a left tackle but could be a stopgap on the right side or get the job done at guard. O’Neill took some goal-line carries and threw a few trick-play passes at Pitt, so he may provide a smidge of extra value as a goal-line fullback.

This was an obvious need pick for the Vikings. But O’Neill is too much like the kind of slow-footed offensive line prospect that has gotten the team into trouble in the past.

Grade: D-plus"

Bleacher Report
Odd analysis of O'Neill to be honest. Size is a plus? He is a converted TE and everything I've read about him suggests he needs to bulk up substantially to play tackle in the NFL.

And if anything, he's a good pass blocker. He's weak as a run blocker, but as a zone blocker he should excel once he adds some size and strength.

Not really sure where the Bleacher Report came up with that review.

I think people need to stop looking for immediate answers in the draft. The draft is still developmental and for depth mostly. If teams need to hit on starters in the draft, they have done a poor job of developing and retaining their own talent, drafting and free agency. The Vikings need to improve depth on the offensive line mostly, and I think O'Neill does that with room to grow into a reliable starter in the near term. Not next year, but next few years. Plus he can play both tackle spots and be used as an eligible receiver. He is not a terrible choice unless the criteria used to judge him is "can he start immediately", in which case I would agree he is a bad choice.
Side as in length and height I assumed. 6'7, long arms.
He has a very short wingspan and small hands. Bottom percentile for both.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I swear, spielman could somehow get the first 20.picks of the draft, pick everyone we'd ever need, annd people would complain. I've learned to trust spielman, especially in the later rounds. I am not playing with myself over the picks so far, but I trust their process. Anyone remember Matt Kalil? Or Shariff Floyd? Everyone was so happy about those picks, and how did they turn out?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:The thing about Jim is that he is always super diplomatic. He has his opinions, backs them with evidence and cogent arguments, but he always respects other posters. The board has declined with his absence, IMO. We should all strive to post the way Jim does.

PHP, I really enjoy your takes, but I'm with Fiesta in that you could dial back the ire a bit. Try to take the back and forth less personally. Don't let it get nasty or unprofessional. This is our shared pass time, let's try to enjoy it.
And I apologize to everyone. I guess I just get sick of coming on here as I'm enjoying the draft and see someone do nothing but complain about our first two picks. I get it, not everyone is going to like every pick but my goodness. These guys haven't even hit an NFL field yet and we have guys saying "Hughes is raw" and "Oneill is nothing but a 4th round blocking TE". And backing it up with.....nothing, or Bleacher Report. I mean come on. Research, look up credible sources, something. I guess I let it bother me more than I should but I obviously love coming on here and seeing a giant complain fest is the last thing I want to see. Again, sorry for my actions, I just hope this message gets through to some others.

And like PMR said above, I've learned to trust our staff. We just went 13-3 and to the NFC championship. Clearly they are doing something right. But he's right, there is always complaining
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: He's not an amazing pass blocker. His team used him primarily on pulling. He lacks NFL strength. Is that registering? I.E. when he lines up with MEN... he is going to get bullrushed.

You also aren't focusing on the picture. The Packers were able to find 1st round talent at CB in both the 1st and 2nd round.
We found 4th round talent at OT in the 2nd. Even if we missed Hughes, who we took to address CB would be closer to his talent than this beefed up TE we selected. He is a project... Great feet decent hand placement, but poor strength (a need for Olinemen)
He was the 3rd best pass blocker in the draft according to PFF. But yeah, he’s not an amazing pass blocker?

How is O’Neill a 4th round talent? Because he “lacks nfl strength” means he’s a 4th rounder? He put up 22 reps on the bench. Someone that also did that.....Pat Elflein. And Elflein has much shorter arms which makes benching much easier. Granted benchin isn’t everything and yeah he’ll need to add some strength but that doesn’t make him a 4th round talent. We’ve had nothing but bad pass blocking tackles here for quite a while and now we get a solid one and fans are complaining. I don’t get it. If you look at the best tackles in the nfl, they put up 20-30 reps on the bench at the combine. No less O’Neill is very athletic. Saying he’s a 4th round talent is laughable. Let me know the last time a guy that allowed 1 sack in 852 snaps went in the 4th round :lol:
O'Neills arms are only 7/8ths of an inch longer
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
YikesVikes wrote: He's not an amazing pass blocker. His team used him primarily on pulling. He lacks NFL strength. Is that registering? I.E. when he lines up with MEN... he is going to get bullrushed.

You also aren't focusing on the picture. The Packers were able to find 1st round talent at CB in both the 1st and 2nd round.
We found 4th round talent at OT in the 2nd. Even if we missed Hughes, who we took to address CB would be closer to his talent than this beefed up TE we selected. He is a project... Great feet decent hand placement, but poor strength (a need for Olinemen)
He was the 3rd best pass blocker in the draft according to PFF. But yeah, he’s not an amazing pass blocker?

How is O’Neill a 4th round talent? Because he “lacks nfl strength” means he’s a 4th rounder? He put up 22 reps on the bench. Someone that also did that.....Pat Elflein. And Elflein has much shorter arms which makes benching much easier. Granted benchin isn’t everything and yeah he’ll need to add some strength but that doesn’t make him a 4th round talent. We’ve had nothing but bad pass blocking tackles here for quite a while and now we get a solid one and fans are complaining. I don’t get it. If you look at the best tackles in the nfl, they put up 20-30 reps on the bench at the combine. No less O’Neill is very athletic. Saying he’s a 4th round talent is laughable. Let me know the last time a guy that allowed 1 sack in 852 snaps went in the 4th round :lol:
O'Neills arms are only 7/8ths of an inch longer
What I'm saying tho is that you usually see higher bench presses in the interior lineman. Not tackles. Because interior OL are what face more power than tackles. In turn, Elflein did just fine. Does Oneill need to get bigger, yeah but its not like he's Orlando Brown putting up 14 reps on the bench. And he's not far off what the top tackles in the NFL did at the combine. McGlinchey and Colton Miller were the top two tackles taken and they both put up 24 reps on the bench compared to ONeills 22.
-Chazz Palminteri