Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by 808vikingsfan »

fiestavike wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:I remember getting crap for saying Waynes needs to be replaced. Brett's amazing but he basically said the same things I was saying.
And I still don’t think they should do it. Waynes knows the defense and has gotten better year after year. With as many loaded teams in the nfc, you can never have enough CBs. Just because we drafted Hughes doesn’t necessarily mean we’re dumping Waynes.
Have to factor in cap situation and scheme fit. We will know by May 3rd. If they don't put 5th year option on him they are giving up their leverage in re-signing him longterm. I don't think anybody believes they will dump waynes 'just because they drafted Hughes'.
I think every decision the Vikings make will be highly influenced on future cap space for the next 3 years. They may not want to part ways with Waynes but if it means resigning Barr and Diggs, they may be forced to. Who knows, maybe they are planning to keep Richardson. I see him having the biggest impact on this team (along with Cook) this season.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IIsweet wrote:Remember the guys name... Danny Isidora.
Isidora, Elflein, Easton for a combination of 3 interior OL positions.
Uff, watching the only game Isadora started last season, it is off to a ROUGH start. He looks totally lost so far.

The first quarter is TJ Clemmingsesque, and that is not exaggeration...it may be too positive a review.

edit *wow, at this point I have to wonder if he even makes the team next year. Not a single decent snap on tape yet.

edit *now I'm turning my hopes to Josh Andrews http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/e ... ears-later
Vikings need to trade up if they believe in any of these OL as an immediate impact player.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

I think this franchise is huffing whatever the browns did last year during the draft. Another cb? A position that we are strong at and is probably the longest to develope. We get cousins and richardson (win now moves) then waste our first on a cb whos going to sit behind two first round picks well we continue to get no pressure and cousins gets jail breaked. But its ok we will draft a few oline late rounds that dont make the team. If this is another year our first round pick sits the majority of the season i want zimmer gone.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It sounds like the Vikings had multiple offers for their spot before their pick but zero trade offers while they were on the clock. It also sounds like the linemen they were targeting were taken so they were to some degree stuck. And so they went with the guy highest on their board, which shocker, was a corner.

I don't think he was a reach pick but I think the hype needs to be tempered some. The guy is 5'10 and only started 11 games at UCF. If you watch his tape, two of the four interceptions he had were from tipped balls (one the receiver flat out missed the catch, the other his teammate made a good play on the ball). His man skills are good but he is a bit "handsy" similar to Xavier. Also the competition he faced wasn't the highest although it was nice to see UCF go undefeated and beat Auburn.

I get corner is much more important in a pass dominant league but 3 first rounders and a 2nd is really excessive. If we want to retain Diggs/Hunter/Barr/Waynes then we have very little room for error in this draft. I think we're off to a weak start.

OG, DT, OLB, TE are areas of need/depth that will need to be addressed over these next two days. I think OT, QB, RB, Edge should also be looked at in later rounds.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I sure hope we don't go another draft without addressing needs on both Off and Def Lines. This is our glaring need.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised at all if they grabbed shaquem griffin. What a story. Would be cool to see him flying around the field making plays
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Boon wrote:Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised at all if they grabbed shaquem griffin. What a story. Would be cool to see him flying around the field making plays
He wouldn't be on the field much as the 3rd LB. I'd be pretty shocked if we took him before the 4th.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote:
Boon wrote:Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised at all if they grabbed shaquem griffin. What a story. Would be cool to see him flying around the field making plays
He wouldn't be on the field much as the 3rd LB. I'd be pretty shocked if we took him before the 4th.
I thought he was projected as a 6th/7th rounder? It's an inspiring story and I really hope someone gives him an opportunity.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I get corner is much more important in a pass dominant league but 3 first rounders and a 2nd is really excessive.
It's excessive plus, another thing that's important in a pass-dominant league is pass protection.

Theories about why this pick was made will abound but I think you nailed it last night: it's a Zimmer pick. It's not mere happenstance that the Vikings have a head coach whose specialty is defensive backs and they've selected 3 Cbs in the first 2 rounds in the last 4 drafts.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
S197 wrote:I get corner is much more important in a pass dominant league but 3 first rounders and a 2nd is really excessive.
It's excessive plus, another thing that's important in a pass-dominant league is pass protection.

Theories about why this pick was made will abound but I think you nailed it last night: it's a Zimmer pick. It's not mere happenstance that the Vikings have a head coach whose specialty is defensive backs and they've selected 3 Cbs in the first 2 rounds in the last 4 drafts.
And to be honest, and Jim you and I have talked about it, but Zimmers defenses have not performed well when they absolutely had to. So it isn't like he is building something remarkable. He has yet to prove to me that he can build a championship caliber defense, let alone team.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The Hughes pick makes complete sense. Just watch the second half of the Saints playoff game and the whole playoff game against the Eagles to see why. I think Zimmer is still waking up with nightmares from those two games.

As to whether Hughes was a good pick I'm not as confident in that. The guy has clear ability. He can return kicks and punts well too. He is aggressive, which I think is probably what is most attractive to Zimmer about him. But he also only really shined for a year in college, plus he's had some off-field issues that could be a concern if he can't get his act cleaned up.

Overall, I don't hate the pick and completely understand why they went with a CB, but this is a high-risk, high-reward pick. He'll definitely get a chance to contribute right away as a returner.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote:The Hughes pick makes complete sense. Just watch the second half of the Saints playoff game and the whole playoff game against the Eagles to see why. I think Zimmer is still waking up with nightmares from those two games.

As to whether Hughes was a good pick I'm not as confident in that. The guy has clear ability. He can return kicks and punts well too. He is aggressive, which I think is probably what is most attractive to Zimmer about him. But he also only really shined for a year in college, plus he's had some off-field issues that could be a concern if he can't get his act cleaned up.

Overall, I don't hate the pick and completely understand why they went with a CB, but this is a high-risk, high-reward pick. He'll definitely get a chance to contribute right away as a returner.
It' a bad pick given the positional need and value. The difference between him and many of the other corners is minuscule. Our best guard retired. God forbid we draft a stud that can actually create holes. We're always bargain shopping on the oline and getting killed for it. We had to give premium money to 2 good O-linemen just to become solid. Meanwhile, the Cowboys are better at every oline position than we are but are still addressing the position early and often. Did you notice our oline getting destroyed in the NFCCG too? Finding a fiesty corner is more than possible in round 2. Finding a hole opening Olinemen isn't
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I like the O'Neill pick. He's not going to start right away. He's going to have to get bigger and stronger and play with better overall technique. But he's smart and athletic and I could see him becoming a reliable starter at either tackle position.

He also has experience as a TE, which makes him a more reliable option should the Vikings ever decide to declare a tackle eligible and run him out for a pass on a trick play. Not a huge upside for that, but still, he has experience catching passes.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingLord wrote:The Hughes pick makes complete sense. Just watch the second half of the Saints playoff game and the whole playoff game against the Eagles to see why. I think Zimmer is still waking up with nightmares from those two games.

You could almost say CB was as big of a need or bigger than OL.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Or they could have got a day 1 starter in Daniels or Hernandez and followed it up with a ballhawk like Reid. Instead we have two likely backups with our first two picks and still no starting LG.