Message Board Update and Changes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Message Board Update and Changes

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Great work Cliff. Love the "like button" and the news feed!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The-Purple-Reign wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:29 pm The visual look is FAR superior. Not trying to be rude, but the other one looked pretty dated like when the internet first came out. This is way more sophisticated looking. Totally impressed. Well done, Cliff.
No offense taken! The platform that design was on top of was something like 8 years old so it was pretty outdated. I didn't create the old design but I have been in charge of the back end of the board for a few years now so I would have liked to update it before now but I had a few road blocks. The first being that I didn't have any graphic experience. I taught myself a couple of things and that helped in a few areas (like the banner). Then before I could create a new layout I really needed to update the entire back end of phpBB. Then there was working with getting it to display on mobile. Now I get to do fun stuff and add-ons!

I rambled on about that a bit too long, I think lol

Anyway, I'm glad you like it!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:28 am Cliff, I like the news bot. I hope it will help with discussion. I know I don't post a lot, but I'm here just about every day reading. Thanks again for everything you and the other mods do.
I'm glad you like the bot. I had mixed feelings about it originally and didn't know how it would go over but I figured I could always turn it off if it turns out to be a flop for some reason (like if it posts too frequently or the content is terrible).

You're quite welcome! It's a labor of love for us all, I believe. After the community almost shut down a while back it's been meaningful for me to keep it together as much as possible.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:18 am Great work Cliff. Love the "like button" and the news feed!
Thanks!

I'm glad it seems like the additions are going over well for the most part.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 pm I think Jim ruined it for everyone.
No way!

He ensured it works properly for everyone :smilevike:

Wait a minute ... what are we talking about? He may have ruined something else.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 am Thanks!

I'm glad it seems like the additions are going over well for the most part.
Is there a way to see who "liked" your posts?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think if you look at your notifications it shows you who liked it. It shows up in mine.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am I think if you look at your notifications it shows you who liked it. It shows up in mine.
:thumbsup:
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 am :thumbsup:
Did you just use the Thumbs up emoji instead of just clicking the "like" for a thumbs up!? For shame!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I just noticed that for the stickied posts, the icon on mobile is the Vikings helmet. On desktop, it's a gold exclamation point surrounded by purple. Anyone else experiencing?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm I just noticed that for the stickied posts, the icon on mobile is the Vikings helmet. On desktop, it's a gold exclamation point surrounded by purple. Anyone else experiencing?
The cache on your desktop hasn't cleared yet. Hold down ctrl on your keyboard and click refresh (ctrl + F5 works too I think).
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:59 pm The cache on your desktop hasn't cleared yet. Hold down ctrl on your keyboard and click refresh (ctrl + F5 works too I think).
Might be a browser issue, when I use Chrome I can see the new icons but in IE it's still the old even after a cache clear. Could be my work and all the outdated software...
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

New feature: If a large image is posted it is resized into a "light box" thumbnail.

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm New feature: If a large image is posted it is resized into a "light box" thumbnail.

Why would we want that image small?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm Why would we want that image small?
Because sometimes people will link an image so large it disrupts the layout of the forum. If you click the picture it becomes full screen.